Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetrev
comming out of retirement
 User Gallery

Loc: Aussie
My first Absinthe brew.
    #3928797 - 03/17/05 02:30 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hi there,
I know there is another thread about absinthe Ive read it and still have a few questions.
There are a lot of recipes on the net and Ive come to the conclusion that the herbs used are a to a degree a matter of taste. I also understand that the herbs should (optional?) be steeped in a separate container.
Also most of the stuff I have read about the alcohol used says use vodka and says nothing about the alcohol percentage exept for the other thread on the shroomery. Makin` Asinthe  that, amongst other things, says use 100 proof which is 50% alcohol which is hard to get and rather expensive in Aussie. However I can get Bootleg Grappa that is about 80% :shocked: alcohol Vol. If I distilled this then I would get some high volume shit I assume that the higher percentage the more thujole extracted.

I also read that the brew after being steeped should be distilled. Would the thujole evaporate with the alcahol?  What are the merits of distilation afterwards?  I have a growler jug 
and a wormwood plant up the road Id be crazy ont to give it a try.
Tell me what u think I may have further questions too. :thumbup:
Thanks all :thumbup:

Oh U can resize that image if you like mods (I dont know how)

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: My first Absinthe brew. [Re: trev]
    #3928810 - 03/17/05 02:39 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ok i'll answer a few of these for ya. You need to use alcohol higher in percentage than 50%, the closer to 95% you can get the better. 190 proof neutral spirits is the best. In that picture the mixture is really brown, that's because of the low alcohol percentage, if you used everclear(190 proof neutral spirits) the mixture will be green. There is another absinthe topic on here that shows the difference between 80 proof and 151 proof. However if all you can get is 80 proof vodka, distill the vodka first to get it back up to 190 proof then you and steep the goods. Distillation after steeping is needed to get the fusel oils and congeners out of the mix and make the absinthe more palatable. Yes the thujole will evaporate with the alcohol so when it condenses afterwards you'll have all the good and none of the bad.

Offlinetrev
 User Gallery

Re: My first Absinthe brew. [Re: discoabe]
    #3928824 - 03/17/05 02:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Cheers man Im an aussie so no everclear here. But like I say I can get grappa at 80% or 160 proof, cheap as fuck then distill that into some hardcore shit.

--------------------

Anonymous #14
[quote]There are billions of people on this planet. The world does not revolve around the united states, moron. I hope terrorists crash their collective cocks into your asshole. [/quote]

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

#3928857 - 03/17/05 03:14 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Just use the grappa at 160, that'll be fine, actual, authentic absinthe is made with grappa actually so you'll be fine. Good Luck!!

Offlinetrev
 User Gallery

#3928916 - 03/17/05 03:49 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I shall keep you updated with the final recipe and hopefully pics.

Whats better wet or dry wormwood?
Also:
Should I just forget about distilling the grappa first? What would the approx imate percentage or proof be after distiling it once after the steeping (if its 80%)?.
Do I need to mix the herbs and wormwood then distil or just distill the wormwood broth so I can have the flavour from the herbs?

--------------------

Anonymous #14

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

#3929041 - 03/17/05 05:16 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

No need to distill the grappa first. Now most absinthe recipes call for a good amount of water to be added so depending on how much you add the absinthe will be about 80 proof or so before distilling. After distilling it'll probably be somewhere between 140-180 proof. Now I know that's not very accurate but it depends how hot you boiling the mixture at. You'll want to try and keep it around 172-175 degrees. Some recipes call for you adding the herbs and wormwood and steep that. Others say just the wormwood and after it's distilled boil the absinthe with the herbs to give it that green color. Sorry i'm not much help but there are a lot of ins and outs with making this stuff. Where did you get the absinthe kit from? you can IM me with that if you don't wanna post it on here.

Offlinetrev
 User Gallery

#3929054 - 03/17/05 05:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

no kit man just going to do it myself

--------------------

Anonymous #14

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

#3929070 - 03/17/05 05:40 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

ahh....look up some of the other absinthe posts on here, I think the mixture is like 1 part water to 3 parts absinthe. So that would make the absinthe around 100 proof. Good luck man.

OfflineKnight_Templar
Stranger
    #3935113 - 03/18/05 12:29 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I know that there are places on the Internet which suggest adding water to the extract before distillation. This subject has been the topic of some discussion in the other thread, and, as of yet, no one has been able to explain to me the benefits of this.
The extraction and distillation of an essential oil using alcohol is a simple, straightforward chemical procedure, and always involves the use of pure--or, nearly pure--alcohol from beginning to end. Adding water is of no benefit, in other words. I have tried distillations adding water in varying amounts, and, there was no difference whatsoever in the quality of the distillate. None. The only difference is that adding water to the extract prior to distillation increases your distillation time and raises the boiling point. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me... it's a waste of time. Perhaps there was some reason for this back in the 19th Century, when they were producing giant vats of the stuff, but, in small tabletop set-ups, it is useless.
Dried or fresh wormwood makes no difference. I have used both.
Extracting with Grappa, Vodka, or gin, makes no difference. All that is important is alcohol content.

Offlinehavesometea
Stranger
Re: My first Absinthe brew. [Re: Knight_Templar]
    #3952566 - 03/22/05 09:37 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know what kind of vodka you used but if you are using a low priced vodka try running it through a Britta water filter 4 times before you uses it.

The Britta filter will remove some of the nastiness that is associated with the cheaper brands of vodka.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #3956765 - 03/22/05 11:57 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't use vodka if you're going to use a straight steeping and do nothing else.

I'd use everclear to steap the wormwood, then distill it then add the flavoring herbs.

That first post was with vodka just cause I had some laying around. And you don't necessarily have to use a growler I just did cause i had one.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden