Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Loc: Northeast USA
Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product!
    #4233945 - 05/29/05 06:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So i found this at the local liquor store for 33.99. I was surprised to see it because I have never seen Absinthe or Absinthe impersonators at a liquor store. So I bought it! Me and a friend drank about 2 shots worth of the absinthe. Hmm!! Definately very strong liquor, but also definately something else! Almost felt as if we were high on maryjane or something. I really have no idea because I have never done real absinthe! Something I have always wanted to try! Anyway absinthe is basically alcohol made of filtered from wormwood in case you don't know. So anyway it is supposedly made out of southern-wormwood (Artemisia abrotanum) not wormwood (Artemisia absinthium) that is why it is legal to sell. Anyway I dont really know the difference between the 2 plants. And I dont think there is much research about it. If anyone has any commments or knowledge about it, I think it would be coool!

Thanks,
WGH

There website: http://www.crillonimporters.com/Entr2-Absente.html

Cigar aficiando Article: http://www.crillonimporters.com/Absente/media/media-cigarafic0401.htm

Edited by whitegreyhat (05/29/05 06:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product! [Re: whitegreyhat]
    #4233972 - 05/29/05 06:48 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The difference of the two plants constituentwise can be found here

Absinthum: http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/plantdisp.xsql?taxon=119

Abrotanum: http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/plantdisp.xsql?taxon=118

One contains Thujone ,the other doesnt...

Personally i consider nicely made absinth a nice taste and nothing more,at least at non toxic dosages.If you want to know about toxic dosages of thujone many Painters like Van Gogh are good examples of that,brain damage from accumulation of thujone plus the toxic effects of alcohol.A theory also exist that when absinth started to become popular amongst artists many makes used dyes like copper oxides to give it a more emerald colour,plus other substances that are proven to be toxic nowadays...ALso take into account that most artists drank it every day until..they became obscenely drunk!

This whole legal/illegal story is a quite old one which its true effect is...raising absinth to a legendary status and inflating its price.I dont know if the illegality thing still pertains,i have had absinth with real thujone in which was totally legal,although in much smaller concentrations than the absinth of that time.

So ,pour it over a spoon that contains some sugar,into the glass (ignite if you like for extra effect) and take a nice sip enjoying its taste! Water can be added,it might get cloudy if it has thujone or other essential oils ,it might not!

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Re: Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product! [Re: Psiloman]
    #4234054 - 05/29/05 07:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Psiloman said:
The difference of the two plants constituentwise can be found here

Absinthum: http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/plantdisp.xsql?taxon=119

Abrotanum: http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/duke/plantdisp.xsql?taxon=118

One contains Thujone ,the other doesnt...

Personally i consider nicely made absinth a nice taste and nothing more,at least at non toxic dosages.If you want to know about toxic dosages of thujone many Painters like Van Gogh are good examples of that,brain damage from accumulation of thujone plus the toxic effects of alcohol.A theory also exist that when absinth started to become popular amongst artists many makes used dyes like copper oxides to give it a more emerald colour,plus other substances that are proven to be toxic nowadays...ALso take into account that most artists drank it every day until..they became obscenely drunk!

This whole legal/illegal story is a quite old one which its true effect is...raising absinth to a legendary status and inflating its price.I dont know if the illegality thing still pertains,i have had absinth with real thujone in which was totally legal,although in much smaller concentrations than the absinth of that time.

So ,pour it over a spoon that contains some sugar,into the glass (ignite if you like for extra effect) and take a nice sip enjoying its taste! Water can be added,it might get cloudy if it has thujone or other essential oils ,it might not!

What makes Absente different is that it has replaced the authentic flavor of wormwood - admittedly a bitter one - with southern wormwood - or, as the French call it, petite absinthe. Southern wormwood extract is legal in the United States because its thujone content is less than the 10 parts per million maximum dictated by federal law

And the drink did become cloudy when we poured the water over the sugar onto it....

OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
    #4234115 - 05/29/05 07:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Nice! Hope it tastes nice as well!!!!

I think that what makes absinth bitter is actually its content in Artemisin.If the distilattion is done correctly very little artemisin goes in and most of the thujone as well in the final drink!

Have you ever come in contact with wormwood ,the plant? If you can find some seeds i urge you to grow it ,even if that means having it in the windowsil in a pot.Extremelly fragrant plant,but also very bitter! If you gently rub your finger on its leaves and then taste it the bitterness will prevail!After a while though i can tell you that you might even develop a taste for its bitterness.

If nothing else both the herb and the liquor are very good for digesting! Try it after your lunch! :laugh:

Offlinewhitegreyhat
Huge

Re: Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product! [Re: Psiloman]
    #4236040 - 05/30/05 10:49 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

tastes like liquorice but with a little bitter taste! how fun

Invisiblebukkake
LEFT WING NUT
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4236216 - 05/30/05 12:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've "heard" that sort of Absinthe - the legal brand in the United States, is nothing comparable to Absinthe with thujone. I actually registered here the other day through mentions of the "Absinthe Essence" with thujone that can be mixed into Vodka and the like. I found one on ebay the other day, but it was cancelled by ebay quickly.

Offlinebeatlebangboy
Absinthe-ian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bum Fuck Florida
    #4236298 - 05/30/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Check out my tunes. You will be better off for it.
www.myspace.com/beatlebangboy

Offlinepod3
Stranger
 User Gallery
- [Re: beatlebangboy]
    #4236417 - 05/30/05 01:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

-

Edited by pod3 (10/26/06 01:17 PM)

Offlinepod3
Stranger
 User Gallery
- [Re: pod3]
    #4291417 - 06/13/05 03:49 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

-

Edited by pod3 (10/26/06 01:11 PM)

OfflinePSiFr33k
Psilly Guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth (i think)
Re: Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product! [Re: pod3]
    #4299602 - 06/15/05 03:41 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i know a reputable Absinthe dealer based out of the Czech republic and i can vouch for their low prices and they sell all the good quality ship for rather cheap , The ship to the US too =) takes about 10 days to get here but its well worth it , for more info you can drop me an encrypted PM and ill give ya the link n stuff

--------------------

While i was in the grass, i picked them..

Offlineel_duderino
 User Gallery

Loc: South Australia
Re: Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product! [Re: PSiFr33k]
    #4302572 - 06/16/05 05:09 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

a question about absinthe, the stuff people are buying in my 'hood is all 60-70% I'm not sure about if it has wormwood in it - my question is, does that high an alcohol percentage negate the effects of the wormwood?
Also is it just the local shit that is that high? is the traditional stuff that strong?

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product! [Re: el_duderino]
    #4302591 - 06/16/05 05:32 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

the traditional stuff is up to 80% with as high as 100mg/l thujone content

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Offlinecrazyman
Brass or Steel

Loc: chucktown
Re: Absente ? Absinthe? interesting product! [Re: PSiFr33k]
    #4302793 - 06/16/05 09:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, the Czech Republic..... My brother sends me real absinthe from time to time.. He lives in Switzerland and can acquire it their too. Deffinately not your normal "drunk"..... Almost like having a drunk buzz coupled with a weed and salvia buzz on top. I likey....But only periodically.

--------------------
I want to live in Northern Exposure. Ed Chigliak would be my pal.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden