Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineanathema
pǝsnɟuoƆ
Male

Loc: BC, Canada Flag
Total noob with a few questions
    #3915545 - 03/14/05 10:31 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys, my first post here..noob to mushroom growing for sure. I have read the first 30-40 pages of the forum here, and all the guides I could get my hands on. I've asked for some spores from the free spore ring of Canada(fsrc), and hope they come soon. Even after reading all the info I could, and tons of forum posts...(saw pics too..very encouraging!) I still have a few questions.

1. In all the teks I could find, when they mention incubating..they are very unclear and inconsistent on lighting. Maybe you guys could help me clear it up. Do incubating mushrooms in jars need light? 3 hours a day? 12? Any?

2. I should be inoculating a lot of jars, so I was thinking of trying casing with some of them. I was thinking of trying the sea of shrooms method. Any complaints about it? Bad idea all together?

3. To inoculate my jars..I can be kind of impatient (cant wait to see my own little mushrooms :smile: Anyways I was thinking of using one of the methods that result in much quicker colonization. Specifically.."High Fun Guy's 10 Step Quicky Colonization" or "The Neimad Method" The problem with the former is there doesn't seem to be any way to put in the protective layer of dry vermiculite without opening the jars. And the problem with the latter is there doesn't seem to be any precaution taken for sterility since the inoculated substrate is just open to air while you mix.
Should I forget this idea all together? The inoculating all the water and then adding it to the substrate seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure if I'd just be setting myself up for failure. I'll be doing about 10 jars initially so should I maybe try with one or two jars?

Thanks again guys, sorry for the overly long first post. Without knowing it you have all been a great help to me already.

Thanks,

-anathema.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineanathema
pǝsnɟuoƆ
Male

Re: Total noob with a few questions [Re: anathema]
    #3915549 - 03/14/05 10:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry didn't mention I'll be using the std BRF/verm mix and PC Cambodian strain as I hear they colonize quickly.

--------------------
--
Not all those who wander are lost.

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Airfox

Loc: Texas
    #3915581 - 03/14/05 10:48 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So are you getting a spore print or a syringe?

I can only help you with 1, your jars should get as little light as possible. Check them once a week for contamination. The reason is light can make the mycelia "think" that it's time to produce mushrooms. This can happen too quickly and will result in a lower yeild.

The other 2 questions I'm not sure as I have most experience with cakes/syringes.

Offlineanathema
pǝsnɟuoƆ
Male

Re: Total noob with a few questions [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #3915595 - 03/14/05 10:56 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the reply. I'll be getting a spore print thne making syringes out of it.

Do you know of any good spore vendors in canada? The only one i found is ralphsters spores. Seems like a sweet site except it seems you've got to snail mail him the money, which I'd rather not do. If i could pay via cc/paypal (really liking the paypal idea) i would be in consumer heaven :smile:

--------------------
--

OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
    #3915620 - 03/14/05 11:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't mean to steal you post, but I wanted to ask if it was okay if I have my jars covered witha towel and a heat lamp hanging over to produce heat (to keep the temp between 86-90 Deg. F). Is this setup okay or should I leave the jars at room temperature and take the light away...the towel is not transparent or translucent so is the light during incubation okay???

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Airfox

Loc: Texas
    #3915694 - 03/14/05 11:58 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

If you're set on making your own syringes just be very very careful.

For a first try I reccomend just buying a syringe. Ralphsters is a great place to buy from, all you do is go to a post office and ask for a US money order. Very fast and discreet packaging.

Also I suggest if you're going to case use a grain, the colonization time is much faster and it's easier to handle. Hope this helps you.

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
    #3915711 - 03/14/05 12:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

anathema said:

...I was thinking of using one of the methods that result in much quicker colonization...

This is not any kind of new tek, but it can speed up colonization without (much) risking extra contamination. When you prep your substrate, make it with a hair less moisture. Then, when you get your spores shoot the spores into a small jar of sterilized water. Shake it up really well, and then use that water to inoculate your jars, and shoot more spore water into the jars than normal. This doesn't create more spores to germinate, of course, but it does spread them out more, so the colonization spreads through the jars quicker. I usually squirt against the inside of the jar & continue squirting until I can see the water going all the way to the bottom. (Since a good chunk of colonization time seems to be spent waiting for the bottom to colonize.) How much less moisture do you put in the original substrate mixture? Exactly as much as you plan to put in while inoculating; if you are mixing up enough for 12 jars and plan to put 1 syringe into each jar, reduce your original water content by 120 cc's.

This method is used by a lot of people and you can see it mentioned all through the posts.

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Offlineanathema
pǝsnɟuoƆ
Male

Re: Total noob with a few questions [Re: Mages]
    #3915871 - 03/14/05 12:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Great idea mages! Exactly the sort of compromise i was looking for, for faster colonization. Thanks.

--------------------
--

Offlineanathema
pǝsnɟuoƆ
Male

Re: Total noob with a few questions [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #3915902 - 03/14/05 01:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks adjust. This time I'm pretty set on BRF/verm since i just bought all the stuff. But Ive heard great things about WBS for casing and will defiantly be taking your advice next round.

I care if these grow, but I'm much more interested in this as an experiment in growing and getting the most bang for buck sort of speak, rather than taking the mushrooms (although, I'll be doing that too :smile: )

I am also pretty set on making my own syringes because the value you get out of a sport print is WAY more than a syringe, and there is enough extra to make mistakes and learn from them. Word on the shroomery is you can make almost 50 syringes from one print if you're frugal with your spores. But I will be very careful, thanks for the advice.

For both WBS and BRF the sea of shrooms method will be fine ? Thanks again adjust.

-anathema

--------------------
--

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation