Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3820036 - 02/22/05 10:41 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

what do you mean if they understood the words??? I know you live there and know better than me, but everyone I met from ages 14-28 spoke English fluently. Also, I wouldnt rely on pop charts to justify our general trend in music. I honestly have never heard the song you used for your arguement.

Bio... I like the new avatar. It is Tres Groovy :thumbup:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: beejay]
    #3820074 - 02/22/05 10:47 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

mercis
ou est la salle de bains?
est-ce que je suis arrete?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3820082 - 02/22/05 10:48 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Why are French people so snooty?

Randal, one thing i gotta say, french ppl are not snooty just to americans, but to everyone..and it also depends where you go, i assume you went to paris, so yes, its true that not many people have a smile on their face there...its Babylone, no wonder.

Quote:

There is also a significant population in America that investigates and immerses itself in "non-mainstream" things.

Yes, true, but i took the mainstream music example because that's what most people hear, therefore mainstream music is more of a reflection of a country's society than non-mainstream music.

Quote:

What's wrong with a little escapism here and there?

oh nothing's wrong with a LITTLE escapism, i can't say i don't enjoy it myself. But do you really think that LITTLE escapism is a good definition of the majority of american entertainment? nah

Quote:

I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but it seems to be common for foreigners to think that all of us Americans are stupid fat idiots who cannot think for themselves. That is not true.

i never said anything like this, i did say that IMO, in a proportional comparison, there are more idiots in america than in france. BTW, what you said is the kind of generalisation that many french friends like to make, but i always tell them that their generalisation is not true. I try and let other people not be skewed by their limited perception of america.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Trainwreck]
    #3820106 - 02/22/05 10:51 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Trainwreck said:
French people only like things that are french, if its not french you just bitch about it.

haha, that's more of a generalisation than what i would ever dare to make.

again, 60percent of the music you hear on the radio is from the US, same thing for movies, TV stuff, clothes, food...

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3820193 - 02/22/05 11:03 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
what do you mean if they understood the words??? I know you live there and know better than me, but everyone I met from ages 14-28 spoke English fluently.

well, i dunno what kind of intelelctual people you were hangin out with, but France is very far behind in terms of knowledge of foreign langauages...they suck at it!

Quote:

Also, I wouldnt rely on pop charts to justify our general trend in music. I honestly have never heard the song you used for your arguement.

huh...could you recommend me some good billboards or charts?

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3820209 - 02/22/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Quote:

beejay said:
what do you mean if they understood the words??? I know you live there and know better than me, but everyone I met from ages 14-28 spoke English fluently.

well, i dunno what kind of intelelctual people you were hangin out with, but France is very far behind in terms of knowledge of foreign langauages...they suck at it!

Quote:

Also, I wouldnt rely on pop charts to justify our general trend in music. I honestly have never heard the song you used for your arguement.

huh...could you recommend me some good billboards or charts?

http://www.mtv.fr/ ??? mtv for mtv heh

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #3820231 - 02/22/05 11:10 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I want to learn some french becuse I want to visit Canada, I want to move there someday, I have a friend that lives here in Utah...he tells me his real dad lives in BC Canada...I think a lot of chronic bud from Utah mainly comes from Canada...some of it is hydro locally...but i noticed that the local hydro isnt as good as the BC stuff..

Edited by skunk78395 (02/22/05 11:10 PM)

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3820262 - 02/22/05 11:15 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I dont think good charts exist. Its just that most people that I know listen to music that will never be on the charts or at least hasnt been on the charts since the 70s hehe. Living in Chicago I get to see many up and coming bands, which are amazing. Whether they will make it or not is unknown, but I think there is a lot of music being produced today that is quite lyrically relavent.

When judging a songs lyrics you have to remember that many musicians write songs about events particular to their lives. While this may not come across as "deep" music, it is the heart of music itself. Music is a medium of self expression, both on a broad and/or a personal level.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
    #3822894 - 02/23/05 03:14 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Well, I had a helluva time participating in a political rally / war protest....it was pretty hilarious....with the french communist party there and the french gay legion hahah.....it's all about understanding someone else's culture isn't it??

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: chocbruce]
    #3823565 - 02/23/05 05:28 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

The french are seriously some dirty mofos. Think peppy le pue.

They fuck too much and are obsessed with sex.

Theres my comparison for ya. Not that I compared anything...

Oh yeah,
Napa valley kicks the entire country of France's ass. Including that Chirac motherfucker. George W. would take him any day.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #3823571 - 02/23/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Well, you cheese-eaters gave us Jean-Michel Jarre... so I thank you :wink: I think everyone else summed up my feelings, there is good/bad music from every country. Although I agree that modern music in America is quite pathetic.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: mantis]
    #3826221 - 02/24/05 05:11 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

well i guess i'm a bit late entering the conversation, but anyhow...

i've got quite a close relation to france. for nearly 2 years i had a girlfriend from paris (this being when we both lived in norway), and spent quite a lot of time visiting her there. i love the language, the philosophy, the art, the music, the architecture, the landscape, the history - france really is a "mecca" of western civilisation from the middle ages until now.

that being said, i can understand why american tourists get a bad impression of france when taking a short trip there. people don't speak english. they don't want to speak english. they are very pissed that english is more and more becoming the sole language of the EU. so if a french person hears somebody speaking english, it triggers a xenophobic response. imagine if a lot of mexican tourists were walking around the US trying to speak spanish to people. don't you think a lot of people - esp rednecks - would get pissed off and act like assholes to them?

anyway, with your comparison of music... i think it is too generalized. there is some VERY shitty music being made in Europe today (just look at the danish charts - fucking "nik and jay" are still hanging around the top.... :mad2: ). just as there is some VERY shitty music being made in the States. and, in both places, there is some very good music being made. perhaps Europe has a bit more of a network of independent labels that are able to get new sounds out - and perhaps Europe has a longer history of supporting avant-garde arts (for example, all the black jazz musicians that moved here when the US was still racially segregated) - but all in all, i don't think you can claim that europe's music scene is significantly better than america's.

oh, and one more comment... anybody who hasn't already heard it, go check out Georges Brassens. the best french music ever. :rasta:

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3826232 - 02/24/05 05:14 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

MycoJunkie said:
The french are seriously some dirty mofos. Think peppy le pue.

They fuck too much and are obsessed with sex.

Theres my comparison for ya. Not that I compared anything...

Oh yeah,
Napa valley kicks the entire country of France's ass. Including that Chirac motherfucker. George W. would take him any day.

ok this is just stupidity.

french people are much more clean than most of the people i've met from the south. yes, they have sex a lot, but i think because of this, they aren't obsessed with it at all - it isn't a "big" thing like it is to most americans. and napa valley? i think even chilean wines are better than napa valley.

(and do you know what Chirac's post is in the french government, what his policies are internally and externally, what the current agenda of the french government is, etc? or are you just satisfied with a wrestling match to determine your political preferences?)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom