Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture
    #3816631 - 02/22/05 11:52 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Ok this is going to be a comparison between europe (france more precisely) and america again. But this time the comparisons are not based solely on judgement anymore, i'm going to back myself up withhhh..song lyrics!! yup, this thread is going to be comparing america's pop culture and france's.

At first i was going to make a long thread comparing ALL the differences i've picked up (i've lived a third of my life in CA), but then bunch of "europe vs. america" threads came up recently and this one would have been one too many, and i also realized that it would be too long and not many people like to read long posts.

Ok, here it goes. My thesis is that american mainstream music is very weak in insightful meaning (Spears) and is indulged in materialism (rap). Although i love american music, the music there is simply created in the name of money. There is practically never an insightful lyrical message sent to the listeners. Who never got sick of listening to all the bullshit you hear on the radio?

Example: i went to MTV's webpage, and the top song of this week is "Helena" by MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE (awesome group name btw!). Now, check out the lyrics:

Long ago
Just like the hearse you die to get in again
We are so far from you

Burning on just like a match you strike to incinerate
The lives of everyone you know
And what's the worst you take (worst you take)
from every heart you break (heart you break)
And like the blade you stain (blade you stain)
Well I've been holding on tonight

[Chorus]
What's the worst that I can say?
Things are better if I stay
So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight

What the hell? this song doesn't say shit! it might be good music (never heard it), but how is such nonsense listenable?

Now, the comparison with France.
When i came back from US 2 years ago, i was struck by the difference of lyrics you hear on radio. Sure you hear some Usher and such, but you hear so many more songs written by people that REALLY have a message to get through, that actually have something interesting to say, or that have a point to make, compared to the US.

Example: this song, by Sensimila (very nice group name as well :grin:)number 1 on the radio, is called "all the joy in the world" (it doesn't rhyme because i'm translating it from french  :smirk:):

Since the future belongs to you
Since we don't control your destiny
and that your take-off is for tomorow,
Since everything we have to offer to you
will never suffice in this liberty to come
Since we won't always be there
like for the first step:

[Chorus]
We wish you all the joy in the world
and that someone holds their hand out to you
May the road you take avoid the bombs
May it lead you to calm gardens
We wish you all the joy in the world
for today as well as for tomorow
May your sun lighten the shadows
May it shine with love daily

A whole life is offering itself in front of you
So many dreams to live till the end
Surely lots of joy at the rendez-vous
Free to make your own choices
To chose which way you will take
and where it will lead you to
I hope you will take the time
to make the best out of every moment

See the difference? And it isn't just a coincidence that this song is number one and that i'm making this post today. There are many other songs that are very respectably ranked that have some kind of philosophical message to get through. Ask me, i'd be glad to translate another song for you!

This is not a generalisation: american songs are empty. They're blank. Transparent. Meaningless.

In france, even people that come out of Star Academy (the equivalent of America's Idol) have something constructive to say in their songs.. Constructive! that's the word! french mainstream pop culture is overall very constructive, and since culture is the image of society, then french society is a very constructive one.

Is America construcive? No, it's mainstream culture sure doesn't reflect anykind of constructive behavior. Americans are laid back in their comfortable seat trying to make everything better for themselves. Personal enrichment are key words here. This behavior hardly constructs anything positive for society, just for individuals. Everyone is mostly only concerned of their personal well being, everything else doesn't matter as much.

This is where lies the biggest difference between the two countries. A very larger percentage of french population is concerned in the advancement of society. Many more people here are implied in social movements. Many more people here give a fuck.

All in all, i think spiritual awareness is higher in france. There are lots of dumbasses here for sure, but not as much as in the US  :shocked:.

I got a bit carried on there, sorry. I could go on though, i could give many more examples, like movies, subjects of discussion, attitudes and behaviors, education, politics, but i'm gonna stop my ranting now.

peace

PS: i'm sorry for any over-generalisations, they were accidental and weren't "truely honestly" ( :wink:) typed , this is just an observation coming from the heart, take it as it is.

Edit: the original title wasn't quite appealing...

Edited by exclusive58 (02/22/05 02:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleadrug

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: exclusive58]
    #3816641 - 02/22/05 11:56 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

France sucks.

Thanks for the wine, though! :smirk:

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: exclusive58]
    #3816683 - 02/22/05 12:05 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
PS: i'm sorry for any over-generalisations, they were accidental and weren't "truely honestly" ( :wink:)typed , this is just an observationcoming from the heart, take it as it is.

This topic is to subjective to mean anything.
America has meaningful music and France has materialistic music, and vice versa. :cool:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: California]
    #3816960 - 02/22/05 01:17 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

hehe, ya, its a subjective view on objective reality :smile:

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#3817210 - 02/22/05 02:23 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

What are some French bands/music artists that an American might know?
AIR is French aren't they? I dig them."Le soleil es prais du mois"(spelling?)is cool.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: California]
    #3817218 - 02/22/05 02:25 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Air.

--------------------

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures *DELETED* [Re: ivi]
    #3817220 - 02/22/05 02:26 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Post deleted by Oregon

Reason for deletion: redundant.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3817226 - 02/22/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Man, You edited Your post :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3817228 - 02/22/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

If American music is so empty, why is it that every country Ive visited listens to shit loads of it?

It always pisses me off to go to clubs in other countries only to hear the same shit I hear here.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: beejay]
    #3817233 - 02/22/05 02:30 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

So whats another French group?

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3817235 - 02/22/05 02:30 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
This is not a generalisation: american songs are empty. They're blank. Transparent. Meaningless.

I agree. The music industry here in the US is just a giant money machine where true artists often go unrecognised....

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: ivi]
    #3817236 - 02/22/05 02:31 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

ya AIR is french, loved their song in "Virgin Suicides"

other groups could be Daft Punk (techno), NTM (rap), and probably lots of oldies that i'm not too much into.

americans tend to prefer music "made in the USA". musical xenophobics? nah, probably more like economical warfare.

in france, probably like 60 percent of what you hear on the radio is from the states.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: beejay]
    #3817248 - 02/22/05 02:34 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
If American music is so empty, why is it that every country Ive visited listens to shit loads of it?

It always pisses me off to go to clubs in other countries only to hear the same shit I hear here.

Because american music is fuckin good music! foreigners are just lucky they don't understand any of it!!  :grin:

Sometimes, when i want to bug a friend, i just translate an english song that they like, and they end up not liking it anymore  :evil:

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#3817253 - 02/22/05 02:35 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I was under the impression that Daft Punk was from the Netherlands, not sure though.
Haven't seen the V.S., or heard their song from it, i think they did the whole soundtrack.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3817330 - 02/22/05 02:50 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

no, daft punk is french
and i think the gipsy kings are french as well.

if any of you like rap, check out the album by IAM called "l'ecole du micros d'argent". i wish all of you could understand what they're saying in that album. to give you a hint, they actually include quotes by Jean-Paul Sartre like "hell is others". this CD is probably the most famous rap Cd in france.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3817357 - 02/22/05 02:56 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

yeah that is great stuff :thumbup:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3817377 - 02/22/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Quote:

exclusive58 said:

I agree. The music industry here in the US is just a giant money machine where true artists often go unrecognised....

Ya, for some reason songs that have a minimum of intelligent context in them don't sell well...why is that? is it because its too much of a hassle to listen to music and think at the same time?

it'd be cool if you could point me towards some of those unrecognised american groups that really have something to say. you know of any?

OfflineMeatSpace
Waxer of unicorn butthole
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep inside your ass
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3817381 - 02/22/05 03:05 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

America mass-produces garbage.

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #3817414 - 02/22/05 03:13 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Example: i went to MTV's webpage,

Can you say FLAW. hehe not being mean but thats big buisness a world wide nation.it says nothing about the real music scene here.The US is a big place and very divided so its very easy to generalize.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3817492 - 02/22/05 03:27 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

corporate music sucks - not matter what the nation of origin. america probably has more corporate music, though.

just for the record, I like the French. Dumb American tourists (and those who have led an insular life and havent been anywhere) only make the lame generalization such as "France sucks." And please spare the "oh, the French government sucks and they are weak apeasers." The US government sucks far worse, but that doesnt mean all Americans people suck.

adrug: ever been to France? Something tells me you havent left the cornfields much.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
    #3817568 - 02/22/05 03:40 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

This thesis in my perspective holds very little crediblity especially considering your arguement is mostlyt based on the lyrical comparison of some teen punk band and another french musician you have heard. I have been to France and I do think it is a beatiful coutnry...but the clubs, movies and alot of the pop music over there is indeed American and I infact heard a shit load of what we like to call "mad house" (A Madonna song with the percussion taken out and replaced with a 4x4 house beat.) I would not say that since I heard that shitty music in Dicotechs that France is culturally inept...Its would be a stupid gereralization to make. I see the US as a melting pot of the worlds cultures...we have a little bit of everything here that in which I love. Keep in mind that the United States relative to the rest of the European World is very very young. Our Independance was gained only a little over a couple hundred years ago and I am astonished at the infrastructure this country has built for itself.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3817581 - 02/22/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

well said :thumbup:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Vvellum]
    #3817590 - 02/22/05 03:45 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
just for the record, I like the French. Dumb American tourists (and those who have led an insular life and havent been anywhere) only make the lame generalization such as "France sucks."
adrug: ever been to France? Something tells me you havent left the cornfields much.

I've been to France many times and I generally didn't have a good time - they hate on Americans too quickly and easily and act all haughty and shit. I've been many many many times - the best was the time I went with my French II class. The worst was the time I went with my dad, and it wasn't even because I went with my dad, it was because they were such assholes because he didn't speak French.

I am generalizing as much if not more than exclusive is, here, but really, the French have a habit of being haughty to Americans - even people they just happen to think are Americans, and I for one do not respect that anymore than I respect idiot rednecks and their xenophobia. Xenophobia exists and is practiced everywhere, and should be reviled everywhere.

--------------------
delta9

Anonymous

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: delta9]
    #3817661 - 02/22/05 03:57 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

wait a sec.

didn't we (US) save the french in one, wait... two world wars? shouldn't they be speaking german right now?

the french are ungrateful fucks. i lived with a french woman for a while, and she admitted it.

i've been to france. nice girls. jealous guys. boned a redheaded french chic when i was 16 at disneyland over paris. she could barely speak a word of english, and i couldn't speak any french. oh well, she fucked just like an american chic.

Edited by jono1 (02/22/05 04:00 PM)

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
    #3817716 - 02/22/05 04:10 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

quote]
the French have a habit of being haughty to Americans - even people they just happen to think are Americans, and I for one do not respect that anymore than I respect idiot rednecks and their xenophobia.  Xenophobia exists and is practiced everywhere, and should be reviled everywhere.

I agree with you 100%, I've lived here for 13 years, I come for Wales. The French as a rule have a game they play with foreigners that means every one even if they don't come from the same town, first they test you hence the haughtiness you mentioned, they will say some nasty and if you don't come back with some thing then they scoff at you... Did you notice the chicks??? they play different games from the guys, lookie but no touchie... personally i've gotten very good at the french put down thing, but it's boring as fuck I can't wait to go back to New York!!! :smirk:

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3817722 - 02/22/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I'm an American and I have been to France. Why are French people so snooty? Seriously, the second that a French bystander or clerk would hear English come out of my mouth or a family member's mouth, they immediately treated us like garbage. This wasn't recently either. I was in France about 12 years ago.

As far as American mainstream culture goes....yes it is bombastic and vacuous at times. But, there are some gems here and there. There is also a significant population in America that investigates and immerses itself in "non-mainstream" things.

Let me add though that mindless entertainment is enjoyable at times. Every once in a while I like seeing a movie where stuff blows up for no reason and hot chicks gyrate in front of the camera. What's wrong with a little escapism here and there?

I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but it seems to be common for foreigners to think that all of us Americans are stupid fat idiots who cannot think for themselves. That is not true. Don't let your perceptions be skewed by the blatant anti-American bias that permeates every non-American country's media.

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

#3817723 - 02/22/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

In Quebec here, and if you're telling me every french song has a deep hidden meaning, all I have to say is bullshit. There are tons of pop songs here, from france and Quebec, that are just like that chemical whatever group's song. Oh my, this girl doesn't like me, cry cry, hate myself but i'll live. On the other hand, american groups isn't exactly my forte...in fact I don't know that many american groups, although I do know for a fact that some american bands have something to say....although the next question being if they are popular I don't know. In the end i'm not really posting this to defend american music, a lot of their gits are imported from australia and england, i'm just saying that french pop here is just as hollow as you're describing, and I somehow get the feeling that you're taking a very buyist view on the issue. WE have MTV to prove that the american song is...errr, pop culture, but what proof do we have that your song is french pop culture...I could just pull up Do You Realize? by the Flaming Lips and say that all American music is meaningful and is in constant quest to identify their relationship with the universe and talk about how life works, and yadda yadda yadda...hehe, I think i;m rambling, so whatever, :p

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3817781 - 02/22/05 04:26 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Why are French people so snooty? 

I can think of a few reasons...1) the war they were taken over by the germans, and it was really nasty, they think the americans could have help a lot earlier I know that cos I talk to a lot of old people, I just dig do that... they have a big ego the best wine for years the cheese, great food, impressionism, but now we've got great wine from lots of countries ( they better watch out ) and every on says they are great lovers, and that's just not true how can a bunch of macho gits be good in bed they are only thinking about them selves... Which must be a big chip on their should when ever foreign person they sleep with says " I thought it was going to be better then that "  :smirk:

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: RJLR]
    #3818932 - 02/22/05 07:49 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Nope. the perceived notion of the french being "snooty" is simply different behavior patterns. See, Americans tend to smile at strangers. Many non-Americans, the French included, simply developed the notion that such superficial friendliness is simply fake and to be suspicious of. In my experience, they arent snooty but rather expressionless towards strangers - especially those who do not know the language. This can be perceived as being mean or snooty. The French will open up and be friendly as trust and kindness is established - when they know you are real.

Women in Japan tend to be meek and quiet - this does not mean they lack self-esteem. It just cultural differences that dumb tourists do not know of.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3818968 - 02/22/05 07:57 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

My family is not from America - they were immigrants that had trouble speaking English as they were learning. Americans gave them trouble and many got angry when they didnt pronouce certain English words correctly.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Vvellum]
    #3818972 - 02/22/05 07:58 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
Nope. the perceived notion of the french being "snooty" is simply different behavior patterns. See, Americans tend to smile at strangers. Many non-Americans, the French included, simply developed the notion that such superficial friendliness is simply fake and to be suspicious of.

So then why weren't they anywhere near as snooty on my French class outings when everyone looked like they were German and spoke good French (teacher did not allow anyone to speak anything but French during most classes and trips)?

--------------------
delta9

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Loc: Southern California
    #3818993 - 02/22/05 08:03 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

French people only like things that are french, if its not french you just bitch about it. France needs to just air lift they're whole country to the moon where they can live by them damn selves.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3819009 - 02/22/05 08:06 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

because you were speaking french and seemed more european - you were less of a stranger. And I would guess that when you assume a certain presence (appearing German and speaking entirely in French) you facial expressions and general mannerism will be altered subtely to something more conducive and "normal" to the French. In short, you were less alien.

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: Vvellum]
    #3819049 - 02/22/05 08:17 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Wellll...I have had similar experiences, however, I did not draw the same conclusions. I think that america and france and everywhere else...well....every part of the industrialized the world has common ideals.

I have been to france, germany, canada, netherlands, live in america.

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: chocbruce] * 1
    #3819409 - 02/22/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

hmmmm. My french sucks, I didnt even bother trying to speak it when I was there. How did the people act... very kindly :wtf: I dont know, I had heard all this shit about the french hating americans, but I didnt seem to have a problem. Everyone I met was amazing. The only problem I had was feeling a bit undereducated about world affairs while there. this was a while ago and I wasnt very world concious at the time. I only felt a little left out when I didnt have something whitty to say during conversations. Other than that i had a great time and was treated respectfully. I did notice the lack of random smiling like Bio had said, but I expected that so it didnt really faze me that much. I hate faking smiles anyway :wink:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

OfflineToricious

#3819455 - 02/22/05 09:24 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I have friends from France and they have made it clear to me that there is a world of difference between the French and the Parisien (paris people). Maybe the snootiness experienced was from Parisien? And the other guy who met the friendly opened people was outside of Paris....just a thought.

--------------------

Invisiblefearfect
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: Toricious]
    #3819527 - 02/22/05 09:32 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

there is no god up in the sky, tonight
no sign of heaven anywhere in sight
all that was true is left behind
once i could see now i am blind
don't want your dreams you try to sell
this disease i give to myself

how does it feel?
how does it feel?

she makes it sweeter than the sun
i get too tight i come undone
i bow my head to confess
the temple walls are made of flesh
runs up my arms 'till i'm on track
itches my skin right off of my back
i'll heal your wounds
i'll set you free
i'm jesus christ on ecstasy

how does it feel?
how does it feel?

I am so dirty on on the inside
i am so dirty on on the inside

how does it feel?
how does it feel?
suck
suck
suck
suck

a thousand lips a thousand tongues
a thousand throats a thousand lungs
a thousand ways to make it true
i want to do terrible things to you

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: fearfect]
    #3819628 - 02/22/05 09:45 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I feel bad for your girlfriend...
I didnt notice hatred towards Americans in France, ya sure there was one here and one there but no more than in any other foreign country.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3819735 - 02/22/05 10:00 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
hmmmm. My french sucks, I didnt even bother trying to speak it when I was there. How did the people act... very kindly :wtf: I dont know, I had heard all this shit about the french hating americans, but I didnt seem to have a problem. Everyone I met was amazing. The only problem I had was feeling a bit undereducated about world affairs while there. this was a while ago and I wasnt very world concious at the time. I only felt a little left out when I didnt have something whitty to say during conversations. Other than that i had a great time and was treated respectfully. I did notice the lack of random smiling like Bio had said, but I expected that so it didnt really faze me that much. I hate faking smiles anyway :wink:

yeah, that was my exact experience as well. :thumbup:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3819988 - 02/22/05 10:35 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

PsillyNilly said:
This thesis in my perspective holds very little crediblity especially considering your arguement is mostlyt based on the lyrical comparison of some teen punk band and another french musician you have heard.  I have been to France and I do think it is a beatiful coutnry...but the clubs, movies and alot of the pop music over there is indeed American and I infact heard a shit load of what we like to call "mad house"  (A Madonna song with the percussion taken out and replaced with a 4x4 house beat.)  I would not say that since I heard that shitty music in Dicotechs that France is culturally inept...Its would be a stupid gereralization to make.  I see the US as a melting pot of the worlds cultures...we have a little bit of everything here that in which I love. 

My argument isn't based on random songs i chose, its based on two songs that are very well ranked in charts (#1). I think my argument would still be true if i chose next week's #1 songs, or the week after that.

And yes, for sure there is lots of american music in france, because its good music AND because of american cultural domination...but like i said before, i think if everyone understood the lyrics of american songs that play on the radio here in france, american music would be a lot less popular.

oh, and ya, techno is tight in france.  :eek:

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3820036 - 02/22/05 10:41 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

what do you mean if they understood the words??? I know you live there and know better than me, but everyone I met from ages 14-28 spoke English fluently. Also, I wouldnt rely on pop charts to justify our general trend in music. I honestly have never heard the song you used for your arguement.

Bio... I like the new avatar. It is Tres Groovy :thumbup:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: beejay]
    #3820074 - 02/22/05 10:47 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

mercis
ou est la salle de bains?
est-ce que je suis arrete?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3820082 - 02/22/05 10:48 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Why are French people so snooty?

Randal, one thing i gotta say, french ppl are not snooty just to americans, but to everyone..and it also depends where you go, i assume you went to paris, so yes, its true that not many people have a smile on their face there...its Babylone, no wonder.

Quote:

There is also a significant population in America that investigates and immerses itself in "non-mainstream" things.

Yes, true, but i took the mainstream music example because that's what most people hear, therefore mainstream music is more of a reflection of a country's society than non-mainstream music.

Quote:

What's wrong with a little escapism here and there?

oh nothing's wrong with a LITTLE escapism, i can't say i don't enjoy it myself. But do you really think that LITTLE escapism is a good definition of the majority of american entertainment? nah

Quote:

I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but it seems to be common for foreigners to think that all of us Americans are stupid fat idiots who cannot think for themselves. That is not true.

i never said anything like this, i did say that IMO, in a proportional comparison, there are more idiots in america than in france. BTW, what you said is the kind of generalisation that many french friends like to make, but i always tell them that their generalisation is not true. I try and let other people not be skewed by their limited perception of america.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Trainwreck]
    #3820106 - 02/22/05 10:51 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Trainwreck said:
French people only like things that are french, if its not french you just bitch about it.

haha, that's more of a generalisation than what i would ever dare to make.

again, 60percent of the music you hear on the radio is from the US, same thing for movies, TV stuff, clothes, food...

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3820193 - 02/22/05 11:03 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
what do you mean if they understood the words??? I know you live there and know better than me, but everyone I met from ages 14-28 spoke English fluently.

well, i dunno what kind of intelelctual people you were hangin out with, but France is very far behind in terms of knowledge of foreign langauages...they suck at it!

Quote:

Also, I wouldnt rely on pop charts to justify our general trend in music. I honestly have never heard the song you used for your arguement.

huh...could you recommend me some good billboards or charts?

OfflineToricious

#3820209 - 02/22/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Quote:

beejay said:
what do you mean if they understood the words??? I know you live there and know better than me, but everyone I met from ages 14-28 spoke English fluently.

well, i dunno what kind of intelelctual people you were hangin out with, but France is very far behind in terms of knowledge of foreign langauages...they suck at it!

Quote:

Also, I wouldnt rely on pop charts to justify our general trend in music. I honestly have never heard the song you used for your arguement.

huh...could you recommend me some good billboards or charts?

http://www.mtv.fr/ ??? mtv for mtv heh

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #3820231 - 02/22/05 11:10 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I want to learn some french becuse I want to visit Canada, I want to move there someday, I have a friend that lives here in Utah...he tells me his real dad lives in BC Canada...I think a lot of chronic bud from Utah mainly comes from Canada...some of it is hydro locally...but i noticed that the local hydro isnt as good as the BC stuff..

Edited by skunk78395 (02/22/05 11:10 PM)

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

#3820262 - 02/22/05 11:15 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I dont think good charts exist. Its just that most people that I know listen to music that will never be on the charts or at least hasnt been on the charts since the 70s hehe. Living in Chicago I get to see many up and coming bands, which are amazing. Whether they will make it or not is unknown, but I think there is a lot of music being produced today that is quite lyrically relavent.

When judging a songs lyrics you have to remember that many musicians write songs about events particular to their lives. While this may not come across as "deep" music, it is the heart of music itself. Music is a medium of self expression, both on a broad and/or a personal level.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
mantis said:
Hattori Hanzo said:

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
    #3822894 - 02/23/05 03:14 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Well, I had a helluva time participating in a political rally / war protest....it was pretty hilarious....with the french communist party there and the french gay legion hahah.....it's all about understanding someone else's culture isn't it??

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: chocbruce]
    #3823565 - 02/23/05 05:28 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

The french are seriously some dirty mofos. Think peppy le pue.

They fuck too much and are obsessed with sex.

Theres my comparison for ya. Not that I compared anything...

Oh yeah,
Napa valley kicks the entire country of France's ass. Including that Chirac motherfucker. George W. would take him any day.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #3823571 - 02/23/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Well, you cheese-eaters gave us Jean-Michel Jarre... so I thank you :wink: I think everyone else summed up my feelings, there is good/bad music from every country. Although I agree that modern music in America is quite pathetic.

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: mantis]
    #3826221 - 02/24/05 05:11 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

well i guess i'm a bit late entering the conversation, but anyhow...

i've got quite a close relation to france. for nearly 2 years i had a girlfriend from paris (this being when we both lived in norway), and spent quite a lot of time visiting her there. i love the language, the philosophy, the art, the music, the architecture, the landscape, the history - france really is a "mecca" of western civilisation from the middle ages until now.

that being said, i can understand why american tourists get a bad impression of france when taking a short trip there. people don't speak english. they don't want to speak english. they are very pissed that english is more and more becoming the sole language of the EU. so if a french person hears somebody speaking english, it triggers a xenophobic response. imagine if a lot of mexican tourists were walking around the US trying to speak spanish to people. don't you think a lot of people - esp rednecks - would get pissed off and act like assholes to them?

anyway, with your comparison of music... i think it is too generalized. there is some VERY shitty music being made in Europe today (just look at the danish charts - fucking "nik and jay" are still hanging around the top.... :mad2: ). just as there is some VERY shitty music being made in the States. and, in both places, there is some very good music being made. perhaps Europe has a bit more of a network of independent labels that are able to get new sounds out - and perhaps Europe has a longer history of supporting avant-garde arts (for example, all the black jazz musicians that moved here when the US was still racially segregated) - but all in all, i don't think you can claim that europe's music scene is significantly better than america's.

oh, and one more comment... anybody who hasn't already heard it, go check out Georges Brassens. the best french music ever. :rasta:

--------------------

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3826232 - 02/24/05 05:14 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

MycoJunkie said:
The french are seriously some dirty mofos. Think peppy le pue.

They fuck too much and are obsessed with sex.

Theres my comparison for ya. Not that I compared anything...

Oh yeah,
Napa valley kicks the entire country of France's ass. Including that Chirac motherfucker. George W. would take him any day.

ok this is just stupidity.

french people are much more clean than most of the people i've met from the south. yes, they have sex a lot, but i think because of this, they aren't obsessed with it at all - it isn't a "big" thing like it is to most americans. and napa valley? i think even chilean wines are better than napa valley.

(and do you know what Chirac's post is in the french government, what his policies are internally and externally, what the current agenda of the french government is, etc? or are you just satisfied with a wrestling match to determine your political preferences?)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale