Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3817568 - 02/22/05 03:40 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

This thesis in my perspective holds very little crediblity especially considering your arguement is mostlyt based on the lyrical comparison of some teen punk band and another french musician you have heard. I have been to France and I do think it is a beatiful coutnry...but the clubs, movies and alot of the pop music over there is indeed American and I infact heard a shit load of what we like to call "mad house" (A Madonna song with the percussion taken out and replaced with a 4x4 house beat.) I would not say that since I heard that shitty music in Dicotechs that France is culturally inept...Its would be a stupid gereralization to make. I see the US as a melting pot of the worlds cultures...we have a little bit of everything here that in which I love. Keep in mind that the United States relative to the rest of the European World is very very young. Our Independance was gained only a little over a couple hundred years ago and I am astonished at the infrastructure this country has built for itself.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3817581 - 02/22/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

well said :thumbup:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Vvellum]
    #3817590 - 02/22/05 03:45 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
just for the record, I like the French. Dumb American tourists (and those who have led an insular life and havent been anywhere) only make the lame generalization such as "France sucks."
adrug: ever been to France? Something tells me you havent left the cornfields much.

I've been to France many times and I generally didn't have a good time - they hate on Americans too quickly and easily and act all haughty and shit. I've been many many many times - the best was the time I went with my French II class. The worst was the time I went with my dad, and it wasn't even because I went with my dad, it was because they were such assholes because he didn't speak French.

I am generalizing as much if not more than exclusive is, here, but really, the French have a habit of being haughty to Americans - even people they just happen to think are Americans, and I for one do not respect that anymore than I respect idiot rednecks and their xenophobia. Xenophobia exists and is practiced everywhere, and should be reviled everywhere.

--------------------
delta9

Anonymous

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: delta9]
    #3817661 - 02/22/05 03:57 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

wait a sec.

didn't we (US) save the french in one, wait... two world wars? shouldn't they be speaking german right now?

the french are ungrateful fucks. i lived with a french woman for a while, and she admitted it.

i've been to france. nice girls. jealous guys. boned a redheaded french chic when i was 16 at disneyland over paris. she could barely speak a word of english, and i couldn't speak any french. oh well, she fucked just like an american chic.

Edited by jono1 (02/22/05 04:00 PM)

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
    #3817716 - 02/22/05 04:10 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

quote]
the French have a habit of being haughty to Americans - even people they just happen to think are Americans, and I for one do not respect that anymore than I respect idiot rednecks and their xenophobia.  Xenophobia exists and is practiced everywhere, and should be reviled everywhere.

I agree with you 100%, I've lived here for 13 years, I come for Wales. The French as a rule have a game they play with foreigners that means every one even if they don't come from the same town, first they test you hence the haughtiness you mentioned, they will say some nasty and if you don't come back with some thing then they scoff at you... Did you notice the chicks??? they play different games from the guys, lookie but no touchie... personally i've gotten very good at the french put down thing, but it's boring as fuck I can't wait to go back to New York!!! :smirk:

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3817722 - 02/22/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I'm an American and I have been to France. Why are French people so snooty? Seriously, the second that a French bystander or clerk would hear English come out of my mouth or a family member's mouth, they immediately treated us like garbage. This wasn't recently either. I was in France about 12 years ago.

As far as American mainstream culture goes....yes it is bombastic and vacuous at times. But, there are some gems here and there. There is also a significant population in America that investigates and immerses itself in "non-mainstream" things.

Let me add though that mindless entertainment is enjoyable at times. Every once in a while I like seeing a movie where stuff blows up for no reason and hot chicks gyrate in front of the camera. What's wrong with a little escapism here and there?

I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but it seems to be common for foreigners to think that all of us Americans are stupid fat idiots who cannot think for themselves. That is not true. Don't let your perceptions be skewed by the blatant anti-American bias that permeates every non-American country's media.

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

#3817723 - 02/22/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

In Quebec here, and if you're telling me every french song has a deep hidden meaning, all I have to say is bullshit. There are tons of pop songs here, from france and Quebec, that are just like that chemical whatever group's song. Oh my, this girl doesn't like me, cry cry, hate myself but i'll live. On the other hand, american groups isn't exactly my forte...in fact I don't know that many american groups, although I do know for a fact that some american bands have something to say....although the next question being if they are popular I don't know. In the end i'm not really posting this to defend american music, a lot of their gits are imported from australia and england, i'm just saying that french pop here is just as hollow as you're describing, and I somehow get the feeling that you're taking a very buyist view on the issue. WE have MTV to prove that the american song is...errr, pop culture, but what proof do we have that your song is french pop culture...I could just pull up Do You Realize? by the Flaming Lips and say that all American music is meaningful and is in constant quest to identify their relationship with the universe and talk about how life works, and yadda yadda yadda...hehe, I think i;m rambling, so whatever, :p

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

OfflineRJLR
No greater love
 User Gallery

Loc: France, keepin' tabs with...
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3817781 - 02/22/05 04:26 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Why are French people so snooty? 

I can think of a few reasons...1) the war they were taken over by the germans, and it was really nasty, they think the americans could have help a lot earlier I know that cos I talk to a lot of old people, I just dig do that... they have a big ego the best wine for years the cheese, great food, impressionism, but now we've got great wine from lots of countries ( they better watch out ) and every on says they are great lovers, and that's just not true how can a bunch of macho gits be good in bed they are only thinking about them selves... Which must be a big chip on their should when ever foreign person they sleep with says " I thought it was going to be better then that "  :smirk:

--------------------
Gotta to spread the word about:
http://www.johnnyganjaseed.com/johnny.htm

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: RJLR]
    #3818932 - 02/22/05 07:49 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Nope. the perceived notion of the french being "snooty" is simply different behavior patterns. See, Americans tend to smile at strangers. Many non-Americans, the French included, simply developed the notion that such superficial friendliness is simply fake and to be suspicious of. In my experience, they arent snooty but rather expressionless towards strangers - especially those who do not know the language. This can be perceived as being mean or snooty. The French will open up and be friendly as trust and kindness is established - when they know you are real.

Women in Japan tend to be meek and quiet - this does not mean they lack self-esteem. It just cultural differences that dumb tourists do not know of.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3818968 - 02/22/05 07:57 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

My family is not from America - they were immigrants that had trouble speaking English as they were learning. Americans gave them trouble and many got angry when they didnt pronouce certain English words correctly.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Vvellum]
    #3818972 - 02/22/05 07:58 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
Nope. the perceived notion of the french being "snooty" is simply different behavior patterns. See, Americans tend to smile at strangers. Many non-Americans, the French included, simply developed the notion that such superficial friendliness is simply fake and to be suspicious of.

So then why weren't they anywhere near as snooty on my French class outings when everyone looked like they were German and spoke good French (teacher did not allow anyone to speak anything but French during most classes and trips)?

--------------------
delta9

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Loc: Southern California
    #3818993 - 02/22/05 08:03 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

French people only like things that are french, if its not french you just bitch about it. France needs to just air lift they're whole country to the moon where they can live by them damn selves.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3819009 - 02/22/05 08:06 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

because you were speaking french and seemed more european - you were less of a stranger. And I would guess that when you assume a certain presence (appearing German and speaking entirely in French) you facial expressions and general mannerism will be altered subtely to something more conducive and "normal" to the French. In short, you were less alien.

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: Vvellum]
    #3819049 - 02/22/05 08:17 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Wellll...I have had similar experiences, however, I did not draw the same conclusions. I think that america and france and everywhere else...well....every part of the industrialized the world has common ideals.

I have been to france, germany, canada, netherlands, live in america.

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: chocbruce] * 1
    #3819409 - 02/22/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

hmmmm. My french sucks, I didnt even bother trying to speak it when I was there. How did the people act... very kindly :wtf: I dont know, I had heard all this shit about the french hating americans, but I didnt seem to have a problem. Everyone I met was amazing. The only problem I had was feeling a bit undereducated about world affairs while there. this was a while ago and I wasnt very world concious at the time. I only felt a little left out when I didnt have something whitty to say during conversations. Other than that i had a great time and was treated respectfully. I did notice the lack of random smiling like Bio had said, but I expected that so it didnt really faze me that much. I hate faking smiles anyway :wink:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

OfflineToricious
Theblunt-smokinglense-man.

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: beejay]
    #3819455 - 02/22/05 09:24 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I have friends from France and they have made it clear to me that there is a world of difference between the French and the Parisien (paris people). Maybe the snootiness experienced was from Parisien? And the other guy who met the friendly opened people was outside of Paris....just a thought.

--------------------
"There's a guy in my apple!"

"Jerk off on weed man, that's where it's at... " -Anjaba

Invisiblefearfect
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: Toricious]
    #3819527 - 02/22/05 09:32 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

there is no god up in the sky, tonight
no sign of heaven anywhere in sight
all that was true is left behind
once i could see now i am blind
don't want your dreams you try to sell
this disease i give to myself

how does it feel?
how does it feel?

she makes it sweeter than the sun
i get too tight i come undone
i bow my head to confess
the temple walls are made of flesh
runs up my arms 'till i'm on track
itches my skin right off of my back
i'll heal your wounds
i'll set you free
i'm jesus christ on ecstasy

how does it feel?
how does it feel?

I am so dirty on on the inside
i am so dirty on on the inside

how does it feel?
how does it feel?
suck
suck
suck
suck

a thousand lips a thousand tongues
a thousand throats a thousand lungs
a thousand ways to make it true
i want to do terrible things to you

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: fearfect]
    #3819628 - 02/22/05 09:45 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I feel bad for your girlfriend...
I didnt notice hatred towards Americans in France, ya sure there was one here and one there but no more than in any other foreign country.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: beejay]
    #3819735 - 02/22/05 10:00 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
hmmmm. My french sucks, I didnt even bother trying to speak it when I was there. How did the people act... very kindly :wtf: I dont know, I had heard all this shit about the french hating americans, but I didnt seem to have a problem. Everyone I met was amazing. The only problem I had was feeling a bit undereducated about world affairs while there. this was a while ago and I wasnt very world concious at the time. I only felt a little left out when I didnt have something whitty to say during conversations. Other than that i had a great time and was treated respectfully. I did notice the lack of random smiling like Bio had said, but I expected that so it didnt really faze me that much. I hate faking smiles anyway :wink:

yeah, that was my exact experience as well. :thumbup:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3819988 - 02/22/05 10:35 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

PsillyNilly said:
This thesis in my perspective holds very little crediblity especially considering your arguement is mostlyt based on the lyrical comparison of some teen punk band and another french musician you have heard.  I have been to France and I do think it is a beatiful coutnry...but the clubs, movies and alot of the pop music over there is indeed American and I infact heard a shit load of what we like to call "mad house"  (A Madonna song with the percussion taken out and replaced with a 4x4 house beat.)  I would not say that since I heard that shitty music in Dicotechs that France is culturally inept...Its would be a stupid gereralization to make.  I see the US as a melting pot of the worlds cultures...we have a little bit of everything here that in which I love. 

My argument isn't based on random songs i chose, its based on two songs that are very well ranked in charts (#1). I think my argument would still be true if i chose next week's #1 songs, or the week after that.

And yes, for sure there is lots of american music in france, because its good music AND because of american cultural domination...but like i said before, i think if everyone understood the lyrics of american songs that play on the radio here in france, american music would be a lot less popular.

oh, and ya, techno is tight in france.  :eek:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom