Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture
    #3816631 - 02/22/05 11:52 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Ok this is going to be a comparison between europe (france more precisely) and america again. But this time the comparisons are not based solely on judgement anymore, i'm going to back myself up withhhh..song lyrics!! yup, this thread is going to be comparing america's pop culture and france's.

At first i was going to make a long thread comparing ALL the differences i've picked up (i've lived a third of my life in CA), but then bunch of "europe vs. america" threads came up recently and this one would have been one too many, and i also realized that it would be too long and not many people like to read long posts.

Ok, here it goes. My thesis is that american mainstream music is very weak in insightful meaning (Spears) and is indulged in materialism (rap). Although i love american music, the music there is simply created in the name of money. There is practically never an insightful lyrical message sent to the listeners. Who never got sick of listening to all the bullshit you hear on the radio?

Example: i went to MTV's webpage, and the top song of this week is "Helena" by MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE (awesome group name btw!). Now, check out the lyrics:

Long ago
Just like the hearse you die to get in again
We are so far from you

Burning on just like a match you strike to incinerate
The lives of everyone you know
And what's the worst you take (worst you take)
from every heart you break (heart you break)
And like the blade you stain (blade you stain)
Well I've been holding on tonight

[Chorus]
What's the worst that I can say?
Things are better if I stay
So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight

What the hell? this song doesn't say shit! it might be good music (never heard it), but how is such nonsense listenable?

Now, the comparison with France.
When i came back from US 2 years ago, i was struck by the difference of lyrics you hear on radio. Sure you hear some Usher and such, but you hear so many more songs written by people that REALLY have a message to get through, that actually have something interesting to say, or that have a point to make, compared to the US.

Example: this song, by Sensimila (very nice group name as well :grin:)number 1 on the radio, is called "all the joy in the world" (it doesn't rhyme because i'm translating it from french  :smirk:):

Since the future belongs to you
Since we don't control your destiny
and that your take-off is for tomorow,
Since everything we have to offer to you
will never suffice in this liberty to come
Since we won't always be there
like for the first step:

[Chorus]
We wish you all the joy in the world
and that someone holds their hand out to you
May the road you take avoid the bombs
May it lead you to calm gardens
We wish you all the joy in the world
for today as well as for tomorow
May your sun lighten the shadows
May it shine with love daily

A whole life is offering itself in front of you
So many dreams to live till the end
Surely lots of joy at the rendez-vous
Free to make your own choices
To chose which way you will take
and where it will lead you to
I hope you will take the time
to make the best out of every moment

See the difference? And it isn't just a coincidence that this song is number one and that i'm making this post today. There are many other songs that are very respectably ranked that have some kind of philosophical message to get through. Ask me, i'd be glad to translate another song for you!

This is not a generalisation: american songs are empty. They're blank. Transparent. Meaningless.

In france, even people that come out of Star Academy (the equivalent of America's Idol) have something constructive to say in their songs.. Constructive! that's the word! french mainstream pop culture is overall very constructive, and since culture is the image of society, then french society is a very constructive one.

Is America construcive? No, it's mainstream culture sure doesn't reflect anykind of constructive behavior. Americans are laid back in their comfortable seat trying to make everything better for themselves. Personal enrichment are key words here. This behavior hardly constructs anything positive for society, just for individuals. Everyone is mostly only concerned of their personal well being, everything else doesn't matter as much.

This is where lies the biggest difference between the two countries. A very larger percentage of french population is concerned in the advancement of society. Many more people here are implied in social movements. Many more people here give a fuck.

All in all, i think spiritual awareness is higher in france. There are lots of dumbasses here for sure, but not as much as in the US  :shocked:.

I got a bit carried on there, sorry. I could go on though, i could give many more examples, like movies, subjects of discussion, attitudes and behaviors, education, politics, but i'm gonna stop my ranting now.

peace

PS: i'm sorry for any over-generalisations, they were accidental and weren't "truely honestly" ( :wink:) typed , this is just an observation coming from the heart, take it as it is.

Edit: the original title wasn't quite appealing...

Edited by exclusive58 (02/22/05 02:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleadrug

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: exclusive58]
    #3816641 - 02/22/05 11:56 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

France sucks.

Thanks for the wine, though! :smirk:

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: exclusive58]
    #3816683 - 02/22/05 12:05 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
PS: i'm sorry for any over-generalisations, they were accidental and weren't "truely honestly" ( :wink:)typed , this is just an observationcoming from the heart, take it as it is.

This topic is to subjective to mean anything.
America has meaningful music and France has materialistic music, and vice versa. :cool:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: California]
    #3816960 - 02/22/05 01:17 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

hehe, ya, its a subjective view on objective reality :smile:

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#3817210 - 02/22/05 02:23 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

What are some French bands/music artists that an American might know?
AIR is French aren't they? I dig them."Le soleil es prais du mois"(spelling?)is cool.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: California]
    #3817218 - 02/22/05 02:25 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Air.

--------------------

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures *DELETED* [Re: ivi]
    #3817220 - 02/22/05 02:26 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Post deleted by Oregon

Reason for deletion: redundant.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3817226 - 02/22/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Man, You edited Your post :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3817228 - 02/22/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

If American music is so empty, why is it that every country Ive visited listens to shit loads of it?

It always pisses me off to go to clubs in other countries only to hear the same shit I hear here.

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: beejay]
    #3817233 - 02/22/05 02:30 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

So whats another French group?

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3817235 - 02/22/05 02:30 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
This is not a generalisation: american songs are empty. They're blank. Transparent. Meaningless.

I agree. The music industry here in the US is just a giant money machine where true artists often go unrecognised....

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: ivi]
    #3817236 - 02/22/05 02:31 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

ya AIR is french, loved their song in "Virgin Suicides"

other groups could be Daft Punk (techno), NTM (rap), and probably lots of oldies that i'm not too much into.

americans tend to prefer music "made in the USA". musical xenophobics? nah, probably more like economical warfare.

in france, probably like 60 percent of what you hear on the radio is from the states.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Exclusive Comparison of Societies Founded on Today's PopCultures [Re: beejay]
    #3817248 - 02/22/05 02:34 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

beejay said:
If American music is so empty, why is it that every country Ive visited listens to shit loads of it?

It always pisses me off to go to clubs in other countries only to hear the same shit I hear here.

Because american music is fuckin good music! foreigners are just lucky they don't understand any of it!!  :grin:

Sometimes, when i want to bug a friend, i just translate an english song that they like, and they end up not liking it anymore  :evil:

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#3817253 - 02/22/05 02:35 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I was under the impression that Daft Punk was from the Netherlands, not sure though.
Haven't seen the V.S., or heard their song from it, i think they did the whole soundtrack.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3817330 - 02/22/05 02:50 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

no, daft punk is french
and i think the gipsy kings are french as well.

if any of you like rap, check out the album by IAM called "l'ecole du micros d'argent". i wish all of you could understand what they're saying in that album. to give you a hint, they actually include quotes by Jean-Paul Sartre like "hell is others". this CD is probably the most famous rap Cd in france.

Offlinebeejay
some randominternet dude

Loc: The Dark Tower
    #3817357 - 02/22/05 02:56 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

yeah that is great stuff :thumbup:

--------------------
Anjaba said:
Oh shit, don't drink it.... It would eat away your esophagus...
mantis said:
Leave me out of this pissing contest, you fascist wang-dang-doodle!
Hattori Hanzo said:
If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3817377 - 02/22/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Quote:

exclusive58 said:

I agree. The music industry here in the US is just a giant money machine where true artists often go unrecognised....

Ya, for some reason songs that have a minimum of intelligent context in them don't sell well...why is that? is it because its too much of a hassle to listen to music and think at the same time?

it'd be cool if you could point me towards some of those unrecognised american groups that really have something to say. you know of any?

OfflineMeatSpace
Waxer of unicorn butthole
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep inside your ass
Re: My Exclusive comparison of french culture and american culture [Re: exclusive58]
    #3817381 - 02/22/05 03:05 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

America mass-produces garbage.

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #3817414 - 02/22/05 03:13 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
Example: i went to MTV's webpage,

Can you say FLAW. hehe not being mean but thats big buisness a world wide nation.it says nothing about the real music scene here.The US is a big place and very divided so its very easy to generalize.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3817492 - 02/22/05 03:27 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

corporate music sucks - not matter what the nation of origin. america probably has more corporate music, though.

just for the record, I like the French. Dumb American tourists (and those who have led an insular life and havent been anywhere) only make the lame generalization such as "France sucks." And please spare the "oh, the French government sucks and they are weak apeasers." The US government sucks far worse, but that doesnt mean all Americans people suck.

adrug: ever been to France? Something tells me you havent left the cornfields much.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale