Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemoog
Stranger

cannabis and heart rate
    #3785705 - 02/15/05 10:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hi. I hope this question isn't as stupid as it sounds, but it's something I always wondered about.

When you smoke cannabis your heart rate typically increases. If it increases to, say, 60% your max heart rate (mhr) for an extended time, it's possible for your body to burn fat. so, theoretically speaking, can your body burn fat if your heart rate is 60% mhr while just sitting around, after toking? I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm just wondering.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: moog]
    #3785752 - 02/15/05 10:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think so. An elevated heart rate without actual physical movement to accompany the cardiovascular spike can't be healthy. I don't see toking as a means to burn calories.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3785860 - 02/15/05 10:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If at all the heart rate increase may burn a little extra calories off short term but if it lasts more than a normal time amount(as with a workout) it will switch to burning muscle.Thats why marathon runners(who run for hours) tend to be very skinny and lack a lot of muscle where as those who do shorter duration workouts( generally an hour or less) tend to have much more muscle mass.The funny thing is that although marathon runners work out alot more and burn alot more calories,they tend to have much higher percentages of bodyfat than most athletes.This is because the body starts burning excess muscle since excess muscle is excess weight that slows us down and isnt vital to our survival.Whether heartrate increase is caused by toking or other drugs or instead by beign chased by a predator our body thinks we are being chased and we adapt to become lighter more streamline creatures.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3785956 - 02/15/05 10:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.performancemultisports.com/MthonPhys.htm

Doesn't appear the body actually burns muscle in long distance running. I thought one of the major differences between short term and long term running and excercise in general was the type of muscle fiber built.

http://www.ironmagazine.com/archive/Muscle_Physiology.htm

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3786144 - 02/15/05 11:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I think it's above 85% mhr you don't burn as much fat, and if you're running for a long time above 85% you'll begin to burn away muscle.

What I basically want to know, if anyone can answer, is if you can burn fat by simply sitting if you maintain a mhr in the fat burning range (60-85%). In other words, if your heart rate is at 60% mhr for 20 minutes, do you have to be using muscles or working your nervous system to burn fat?

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: cb9fl]
    #3786290 - 02/15/05 11:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I thought one of the major differences between short term and long term running and excercise in general was the type of muscle fiber built.

Yes different types of exercise and training stimulates different muscle fibers and increases their size and efficiency.However too much aerobic exercise is detrimental to anaerobic efforts.Too much aerobic exercise causes excess muscle to breakdown.Not only does the body attempt to rid itself of extra muscle but also excess aerobic activity causes the muscles constant microtrauma never allowing it long enough to heal and rebuild and often time it only heals.

Personally when I was involved in weight lifting I would gain a good amount of muscle mass regularly and I was able to icnrease the weight regularly.However when I started skateboarding and jogging I started not being able to maintain muscle mass and definitely couldnt gain any.After a few months I became very thin and had minimal muscle compared to my previous bulky state.Many bodybuilding books also caution not too do more than 60 minutes of aerobic exercise a couple times a week and 45 minutes being more desired.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #3807709 - 02/20/05 07:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:

What I basically want to know, if anyone can answer, is if you can burn fat by simply sitting if you maintain a mhr in the fat burning range (60-85%). In other words, if your heart rate is at 60% mhr for 20 minutes, do you have to be using muscles or working your nervous system to burn fat?

Okay, here, i'll give you a little background on nutri sci.

Fat, and any other compound you eat (proteins, carbs, even DNA) can be inter-convertable. Which means fats can be converted to readily usable sugars, and sugars can be stored in your body as fats, THEY SERVE THE SAME PURPOSE. (of course i'm throwing alot of minro exceptions out the window, science police take note)

So when you think of "burning fat" you have to also realize that THAT FAT is being converted into the SAME metabolic compounds that sugars are also converted into (aka, Acetyl CoEnzyme A via glycolosis and beta-oxidation).

And your body tends to burn the readily digested sugars long before tapping into its fat source. So it'll use most of one source before using another. The order goes like this:

Simple Sugars/starch, then stored body fat, then stored body proteins (usually caused by extreme starvation or any intense cardio workout), then your body's own DNA/cellular structure (last line of defense, you're usually dead or dying by this point)

So yes, any sort of increase in movement and activity causes an increase in burning of energy sources, which may lead to the increase in burning of fats.

But as was mentioned earlier, an increase in heart rate while still at a physically inactive state is very unhealthy. It's like leaving the air conditioner on in a parked car.

You see, when your heart rate increases, it's because there's something wrong with your body that your heart is trying to compensate for (lack of oxygen). In the case of smoking weed, it tends to be that the smoke itself coated in the lungs causes a slight decrease in the ability of your lungs to diffuse in oxygen. So in order to make up for it, your heart beats faster to increase the flow of blood coming in and out of the lungs, in an attempt to maintain your blood oxygen saturation.

THIS IS NOT HEALTHY because it increases blood pressure and causes extra stress on cardiovascular muscles around your heart, lungs, and most of your capillary extremities.

This is also the same explanation behind why cigarette smoking causes heart disease.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Edited by LiquidSmoke (02/20/05 07:17 PM)

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #3807827 - 02/20/05 07:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You see, when your heart rate increases, it's because there's something wrong with your body that your heart is trying to compensate for (lack of oxygen). In the case of smoking weed, it tends to be that the smoke itself coated in the lungs causes a slight decrease in the ability of your lungs to diffuse in oxygen.

Injested marijuana also causes an increase in heart rate so "lung coating" can't be the primary cause.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3807861 - 02/20/05 07:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

thanks. That was quite informative.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: cb9fl]
    #3808413 - 02/20/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thc's general effect is causing blood oxygen capacity to decrease.

While there IS an increase in heart rate from eating marijuana, it's fairly greater when smoked.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Loc: west
    #3809440 - 02/21/05 03:15 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

when i smoke i get extremely paranoid and i start twitching and i get all hot and i feel like my hart is going to beat out of my chest...
also when i smoke i havent coughed the last couple times ive smoked and ive taken fairly big rips ... i think im taking the smoke into my stomach is that bad...

and is zanex(sp?) the solution to my paranoia and anxiety.

Austin

--------------------
a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: austin_72283]
    #3809658 - 02/21/05 04:38 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

austin_72283 said:
and is zanex(sp?) the solution to my paranoia and anxiety.

Austin

Benzo's (Xanax) will be a solution for a time...but it'll also block some of the effects that you used to like about weed - such as visuals.
In addition, you'll build up tolerance to the benzo's and/or the development of reverse tolerance in itself will require more xanax to control it.

But there's nothing wrong with taking the occasional benzo if you want to smoke with friends and have fun!

There's no cure though, and the more stonings that result in panic-like states the more conditioned you'll be to panicking while using it.

If you smoke it continuously then it'll improve, but if you take a break then it'll be worse when you start up again.

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: bugfungii24]
    #3812614 - 02/21/05 07:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

that is true

i have smoke 5 or 6 times now scince i started up again and i have panic attacks put not as severe as the first two times. i am having difficulty laughing though like i used to for hours and hours on end about stupid shit. now i can barly get a giggle :frown:

austin

--------------------

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: austin_72283]
    #3812819 - 02/21/05 08:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah it sounds like the fun of pot is pretty much gone for you. I'd probably stop before you sink any more cash into it.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
Re: cannabis and heart rate [Re: freddurgan]
    #3813713 - 02/21/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It's pretty sad really.

Quote:

austin_72283 said:
that is true

i have smoke 5 or 6 times now scince i started up again and i have panic attacks put not as severe as the first two times. i am having difficulty laughing though like i used to for hours and hours on end about stupid shit. now i can barly get a giggle :frown:

austin

I know I know, nevermind.:heart: I wish it could last forever too... but it can't.

I remember the laughing which turned to giggles and then to fake giggles accompanied by self-conciousness and retardedness (not in a funny way).
I remember the nice cozy sleeps that would invariably follow smoking sessions transform in to panic attacks that didn't stop until the mj wore off too much to allow me to sleep.

I remember while high I had a deep understanding of a girls gash ( :grin: ) in my mind, and then I was too pannicky to think about that stuff.  :sad:

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

#3822104 - 02/23/05 02:18 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

why and why me that is soo messed up ( im tinking it is the dopemines (sp?) and the build up of them ) im am just really disapointed now that the gateway drug has lost all affect on me and is shuing me away like a stray dog looking for its most need relief from this petie exsistance as a human being.

austin

--------------------

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3822878 - 02/23/05 05:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I remember the nice cozy sleeps that would invariably follow smoking sessions transform in to panic attacks that didn't stop until the mj wore off too much to allow me to sleep.

Something very similar's been happening to me recently. I used to get really tired after smoking and then settle down for a deep sleep that would last 12-14 hours sometimes. Now I get tired but at the same time my mind is racing a mile a minute with anxiety and I can't sleep until the high wears off. It sucks.  :sad:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being