Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHeretic
Male

Poor Man's McPod
    #377142 - 08/23/01 01:59 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

1. I would like to compliment McMan on his HydraPod design. My design is a shameless ripoff of his design.

2. I apologize for the poor quality of the drawing.

The basic idea is to get a tall empty pail, like a 40 pound birdseed one. Cut a hole about 8 inches from the bottom for air and water to come in and for CO2 to go out. You can just cover the top with saran wrap if it is tall enough and you wiil not need that fancy dome McMan uses.

Get a flower pot that will fit inside the pail. Put an aquarium airstone in the bottom of it and feed the air hose out through the bottom hole. Fill it the flower pot with grolite clay pellets.

For the purpose of air entrainment, I was thinking to use an angel food or bundt cake pan with a hole in the center to hold your cakes or casing. When air is pumped through the airstone, it will rise up through the wet aggregate and through the center hole, causing fresh moist air to push the CO2 to the sides where, being heavy, it will fall and exhaust through the hole in the outer pail. One could cover this with a filter I suppose if desired.

Hairy Tek

Edited by heretic on 08/23/01 03:35 PM.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: Heretic]
    #377150 - 08/23/01 02:31 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Very cool, although I don't think McMan would like it...

Let's see some pics and end results once it's done. Then we compare your design with the original.

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: Shiznitz]
    #377155 - 08/23/01 02:41 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Looks Cool.

Why would McMan not like it?

"I got that Fiya Powda" -- some black dude

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

OfflineShiznitz
addict
Loc: Canada
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: tom]
    #377156 - 08/23/01 02:43 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know, I guess because people would maybe look at it and say "instead of buying McMan's, I'll just make my own. Looks easy enough" and this will decrease McMan's sales...

LEGALIZE...

--------------------
LEGALIZE...

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: Shiznitz]
    #377348 - 08/23/01 08:39 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: ralphster44]
    #377362 - 08/23/01 08:59 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

i think at one time mcman was actually offering instructions on how to build some of his old equipment..dont see why he'd care now..

If there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through
This tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.
Gonna wait it out.

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

Offlinecase
    #377382 - 08/23/01 09:27 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

1 question? why the geolite stuuff?how come you just dont raise the casing out of the water w/ a brick or something?

Offlineproject10
Stranger
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: case]
    #377593 - 08/24/01 03:41 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I believe the geolite acts much like perlite, serving both to humidify and to wick water into the cake. Read more about the product's function at their website for more info on what it does.

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: ralphster44]
    #377668 - 08/24/01 08:11 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Ralph this post had nothing to do with you but you siezed the oppurtunity to advertise in cultivation.

And actually McMan bitched me out for asking questions about the McPod's innards and said If I wanted to see the inside I would have to buy one of my own. And he called me a bum, to boot!

In the past McMan has helped folks build clones of MC. But it looks like this one is easy too build and he guards his secret with his keyboard.

--------------------

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

#377669 - 08/24/01 08:13 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Looks like Ralph and McMan have gone to bed for good.

--------------------

InvisibleNDK
    #377681 - 08/24/01 08:32 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

IMVHO that looks like a total overkill to me. I have a plastic storage bin with 3" of water in it (w. bleach) with a fish tank heater in it and that reaches 96%+ humidity within 1/2 hour.

What is the point in all that gro-rock stuff?

InvisibleMcMan
Pooh-Bah
Loc: USA
Post deleted by users_request [Re: NDK]
    #377712 - 08/24/01 09:45 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineHeretic
Male

Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: McMan]
    #377853 - 08/24/01 02:15 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

McMan,

You are a real contributor to our sub-specialty of mycology. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so graciously on the apparent weaknesses of my first stab. I'll ponder on it...

I would love to be able to experiment but I lack a secure lab in which to work. I would not want to expose my house (paid-for!) to the possibility of forfeiture as a drug manufacturing facility.

I wish you every success in your business. I hope that my knock-off design inspires others, who may be motivated either by poverty, or just out of pride in doing-it-yourself, to tinker and improve...

Whatever, I feel we both want the same thing, to spread the knowledge and practice of cultivation of the sacrament.

Brotherly regards,
Heretic

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #378198 - 08/25/01 12:06 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I wanted to thank you for the inside scoop of how this invention works. After studying what you drew and reading MCMAN's comments I have discovered that a little bright "light bulb" has just flashed in my head. Now it all makes sence. I can even see the mistakes in the poor man's version now that I think about the flow of oxgening/CO2/Humidity! Whoa... I can allready see how an aquriuam could be converted over useing the basic principles of the HydroPod's design. As long as one had the water to clay amount right and had no shroom area air contact with the air below (just above the water level) one could feed an airline thru a large tube thru a plexiglass tight fitting top to the area above the waterline yet below a covering seperating the top air from the bottom air. That way a vacume is created via the airstone and the CO2 is pushed straight up the large tube right thru the plexiglass top. The humidity could be controlled via controlling the amount of air that is allowed to escape up the tube from below the air sealed shroom level or perhaps by controlling the air flow via a valve. With a tight fitting Rubermaid (R) type container sitting a little off of the base of the tank.... Well I'm sure you get the piture! It all seems so obvious now!! Man I feel like an idiot. Thanks for the invention McMan, I'm sure that this has to be a beg sucess for you.

Jammer

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: Jammer]
    #378203 - 08/25/01 12:14 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry McMan. I meant to conclude that previous responce by mine with the words "a BIG success" not BEG.... shesh, ya talk about a typo. Sorry dude!

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleMcMan
Pooh-Bah
Loc: USA
Post deleted by users_request [Re: Jammer]
    #378430 - 08/25/01 09:41 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Invisiblethedm9
    #378480 - 08/25/01 11:28 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Even if the POD design is well documented and easily buildable by following an established procedure I'm sure McMan realizes there will still be a market of people wanting prebuilt units:

Newbies - just getting into cultivation.

These people want a confident way to skip the hassle and get right into a terrarium setup that functions as advertised on the first try. (I don't fall into this catagory, haha) but I'm sure there are also a lot of people who are not technically inclined enough to build a complex setup with all of the needed environmental controls that the Hydra-Pod has in place.

Limited Time - Professionals with an abundance of money, but limited time due to work or family life.

For me it was difficult to find free time to build and test a fully automated setup because of a really demanding job and other hobbies (weight lifting) I either couldn't find all of the supplies I needed, or the only available parts were of a different brand used in the Tek making them incompatible. The POD was ideal for me because it incorporated all of the aspects of the best designs into a preassembled unit.

thedm

OfflineLumonic
Stranger
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: McMan]
    #378503 - 08/25/01 12:13 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I have about 20 years experience with passive hydroponics and this post just peaked my interest. My favorite system is the "Emily's Garden" from Hydrofarm. I purchased one in 1990 and now I build them for almost nothing. They work great for the applications I need. I also have some experience with ebb and flow systems.

I look at the Hydropod and see an ebb and flow unit like I have seen used by many that has an optional dome for cutting production. Cuttings from plants need high humidity since they have no roots to start and the leaf material present is the reliance to absorbe the moisture needed for root production and to sustain like while in transit.

The Hydropod is still not explained in detail but i can understand that. If purchased, you get the plans and idea for a future of knowledge that you will retain and can build or expand on as needed. It does make me curious because I could guess at many things that could form the symmetry to the proccess. I even know a ton about hydroponics, but it could be NFT, Passive, Active, and/or combination. Wow, this is got me thinking.

Nice design McMan sir. The only change I would have made would have been to make it more horizontal than vertical since this can maximize mushroom production for a small grower. The resevoir does not need as much vertical space but I can see the materials may have played a special role in the design - use whats best available.

Good luck to ya McMan

Lumonic

Offlineskab
journeyman
Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: Lumonic]
    #378513 - 08/25/01 12:37 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Well Tom, I fail to see how this post had nothing to do with Ralphster, who undoubtedly has a greater working knowledge of McMan's cultivation supplies and business practices than you, or any of the rest of us. I assume you view these message boards because of an interest in mycology. Why then, go out of your way to criticize two of the people who make this hobby possible for hundreds interesting in home cultivation?
Please provide me with a link to your Tom-Tek, and your free mushroom spore ring, for I'm curious to see how your expertice in the field compared to Ralphster and McMan.

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Re: Poor Man's McPod [Re: skab]
    #378530 - 08/25/01 01:01 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Look Mr. Scabby Ralph was simply and blatently advertising in cult. Quite obviously a no no. Ralph continues to flaunt the rules; why? I simply let people know when I think they are doing something horribly wrong. Ralph has advertized in cultivation numerous times and I simply inflame the situation to let eveeryone else know of the injustices.

And how have ralph and McMan made it possible for people to cultivate? How? They haven't. They have made it easier for people to cultivate.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck