Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
What is Evil?
    #3759877 - 02/10/05 12:22 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What are some things you think are evil? I personally dont believe in evil, so I was wondering what people considered evil traits, or characteristics, or people, or whatever.....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: What is Evil? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3759886 - 02/10/05 12:25 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

what is good?
do you not believe in "good" as well?

a friend of mine gave his kidney to a relative
and saved his life. was this not good?

a man stabbed his wife 56 times out of jealousy.
was this not evil?

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: What is Evil? [Re: Vvellum]
    #3759904 - 02/10/05 12:32 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think

Childrens movies which show the world to be a happy friendly place where everythign works out is misleading and pure evil

Indoctrinating humans into a system of slavery right from early schooling is evil

Capatilism which encourages people to capatilise on others weaknesses is evil

The people who designed this entire society are evil

Bankers are evil

Marketers are evil

Edited by faslimy (02/10/05 12:33 AM)

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3759909 - 02/10/05 12:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

here are some quotes on this topic:

"Nothing is evil which is according to nature."
-Marcus Aurelius

"The dread of evil is a much more forcible principle of human actions than the prospect of good."
-John Locke

"So far as we are human, what we do must be either evil or good: so far as we do evil or good, we are human: and it is better, in a paradoxical way, to do evil than to do nothing: at least we exist."
-T.S. Eliot

The world needs anger. The world often continues to allow evil because it isn't angry enough."
-Bede Jarrett

"The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interred with their bones."
- Shakespeare

"I am not a pessimist; to perceive evil where it exists is, in my opinion, a form of optimism "
- Roberto Rossellini

"To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil with evil is evil."
- Mohammed

Evil draws men together.
Aristotle

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

Evil is obvious only in retrospect.
Gloria Steinem

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3759926 - 02/10/05 12:37 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
what is good?
do you not believe in "good" as well?

a friend of mine gave his kidney to a relative
and saved his life. was this not good?

a man stabbed his wife 56 times out of jealousy.
was this not evil?

No, i dont believe in good either. Things just are, but this isnt about what I think, this is a question i am asking the forum. Where do you draw the line between evil and good? is there a gray area? what is it? What if the persons whose life was saved ended up being the next Hitler? would that make it an evil act or have evil overtones? What if the woman who got stabbed was an organ donor , and saved someones life by giving her kidney? would that be good or have good overtones? I see what you mean by evil when you look at one instance, at one point in time, by initial parties, but as a whole, what is evil?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3759966 - 02/10/05 12:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yes.. and so it is whit everything..

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3759981 - 02/10/05 12:52 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

gradual spectrum
with a relative perspective.

human
on earth
tend to have quite similar perspective.
differences abound
but the similarities completely outweigh the differences.

perhaps in a parallel universe
where the physics are slightly different than ours
stabbing someone to death would be a good thing.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3760011 - 02/10/05 01:01 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Why do you believe that stabbing someone is evil? Was it a natural conclusion? was it conditioned into you?

I constantly see so many threads about people saying you have to doubt your philosophies. Seems to only pertain to everyone elses philosophies though, because they never seem to point that doubt at their own reality. Question your stance on evil and good. Question yourself as to what is righteous, and why you think this thing is righteous. Think about a time when you enjoyed or liked something, but later "found" it to be "evil", or vice versa. What made that decision? how did you determine or measure its evil or goodness?

I think we can all agree that evil is subjective to the self on a basic level. But, can anyone name something that is universally evil? or universally good? any act or thing?

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: What is Evil? & What is Sin? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3760837 - 02/10/05 08:26 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful--just stupid.)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: What is Evil? & What is Sin? [Re: gnrm23]
    #3762847 - 02/10/05 04:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How do you consider what is unnecessary?

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3762934 - 02/10/05 04:41 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Evil/Bad Things are negative such as beign harmful,dishonest,unjust,dishonorable,etc.

Good things are helpful, positive, beneficial, honorable, just, respectful,etc....

It is generally quite simple.

Everything is naturally simple.Humans only complicate it.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: What is Evil? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3763009 - 02/10/05 04:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, so how did you come to this conclusion? why do you feel that "beign harmful,dishonest,unjust,dishonorable,etc" is evil? I need more of an explanation beyond "well its just that way and because....". IMO people seem to think that the concept of evil is inherent, as if they of course know that everything they believe to be evil, is the same for everyone else.

I feel i need to clarify this term evil also. It isnt a disliking of something, it isnt just bad, this is something that is a purposeful counter action towards your survival or society. I like to joke and say that GWB is evil, but he isnt. He is doing what he THINKS is righteous. I dont think anyone is inherently evil, or even has evil intentions, either their impulses get the better of them, or they do something counteractive to society only while in the illusion of doing something righteous. GWB seriously thinks that he is helping this world, how can that be evil? even if he is killing millions of people after this is over, is it still evil?

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3763465 - 02/10/05 06:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Goodness is being, and it's opposite, evil, is the lack of being.

Evil is like a hole in a shirt. In itself the hole does not exist; it can only exist within the being of the shirt. Evil is like a hole; it can only exist within some good thing.

Another example is blindness. An eye deprived of sight is blind, and the blindness can be considered evil, but blindness cannot exist apart from something normally capable of sight.

Evil can always be seen as a lack of being where being should be. For an eye to be a good eye, it must be able to see. For a shirt to be a good shirt, it must cover the torso. The lack of fabric where the hole is in the shirt and the lack of sight in the eye are evil.

An evil will is also due to a lack of being. But this becomes more complex. The free will which chooses the lesser good instead of the greatest good deprives itself of being. This deprivation of being becomes like the hole in the shirt. The will once wounded in this manor finds itself less capable of choosing the greatest good and a cycle of negativity develops which reduces the wills freedom. This can be most easily observed in people addicted to drugs like crack and heroin. Choices made in the beginning of the cycle reduce the wills capability to freely choose later on. Eventually the person effected finds that the hole in his will has become so large that he is no longer free.

Bad choices cause wounds which reduce the will's ability to freely choose. The wounds lead to more bad choices, which cause more wounds, which cause more bad choices. As the downward spiral continues a person eventually looses all power to will himself back up out of the hole. Just as the drowning non-swimmer must stop kicking and flailing his arms before the life guard can rescue him, the mortally wounded will must stop willing in order to be saved. At this point its only hope is to become willing to accept salvation from a will outside itself.

Thank God for Jesus.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: What is Evil? [Re: shroomydan]
    #3763653 - 02/10/05 06:44 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Evil is what you find when you live....  It is the word itself, an alternate personality in a world of dualities.... 

Take a piece of paper, and write the word "LIVE" on it.... 
Now, go hold it up in front of a mirror, and you will be staring right at it....

(It was also Mr. Knievel's first name....)  :grin:

:sun:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #3763807 - 02/10/05 07:04 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
Why do you believe that stabbing someone is evil? Was it a natural conclusion? was it conditioned into you?

I constantly see so many threads about people saying you have to doubt your philosophies. Seems to only pertain to everyone elses philosophies though, because they never seem to point that doubt at their own reality. Question your stance on evil and good. Question yourself as to what is righteous, and why you think this thing is righteous. Think about a time when you enjoyed or liked something, but later "found" it to be "evil", or vice versa. What made that decision? how did you determine or measure its evil or goodness?

I think we can all agree that evil is subjective to the self on a basic level. But, can anyone name something that is universally evil? or universally good? any act or thing?

It was not conditioned into us. We naturally don't want to be stabbed with a knife. Empathy translates it from personal evil into general human idea of evil.
You could say in general that evil is an deliberate action against other peoples wellbeing.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: What is Evil? [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #3764249 - 02/10/05 09:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Evil is lying, cheating, stealing, murdering, hurting, etc.

Evil is doing anything to another that you would not want done to yourself. Evil is the antithesis of the Golden Rule.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3764310 - 02/10/05 09:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Evil is that which is negative and harmful toward another human being.

Good is that which is positive and helpful toward another human being.

We all are born with a natural desire to help and be social and to further our group/tribe/society as a whole until at some point in life we becoem corrupted by someone or something that causes us to go in different directions.What child is born with a desire to hurt?It is learned behaviour and also can be cultivated.

Ones perception can be flawed but if I believe the sun is purple does it become purple?No.If I believe/perceive an apple to be square does it make it square?Of course not.What is good and what is bad is always the same regardless of personal belief.Now our perception of what is good and what is bad varies from individual to individual.

How many very spiritually advanced people do evil things regardless of whether or not they have a religion?None.These people are practically saints/holy beings on earth and yet they do nothing evil.Even things we see as generally acceptable as a majority such as killing animals they do not do.Why?Because they do nothing harmful to any being.When is the last time any truly spiritual person did anything evil?Are not these people the epitome of good?If killing and such is not evil why do they not kill?

Good and evil is always a touchy subject.It is also difficult for me to explain.

Evil has a certain set of qualities and Good has a certain set of qualities.Good things embody at least one good quality and evil things embody at least one evil quality.

Evil qualities are things which are counterproductive,negative and only benefits one's only self if even but evil can also benefit another if evil is done in their name but generally evil benefits someone mostly one's self for selfish reasons.

Good qualities are things which are productive,positive and benefits more than one's self on any level and generally benefits society in some way as a whole where as evil has bad effects on society.

Good and evil can have grey areas when a person's morality comes into play.Someone may feel that killing someone out of revenge will help someone else but in reality they are only doing it for themselves to fulfill their sense of injustice.They are only benefiting themselves.

Now killing animals to eat can benefit everyone who receives the food.I know people will say well what about killing people for food such as cannibalism.That is evil.Why?Because killing members of your species for any reason is counterproductive to the entire species survival in general.It harms everyone.Giving birth is good because it helps the entire species survive.If no one gave birth our species would die in less than 120 years most likely assuming the last child born lived to about 120 at most.What about death?Isnt that counterproductive?No.Death allows the weaker ones to die off whether weak from old age or weak from physical or mental weakness,etc.Killing kills off people healthy enough to live and contribute to society.this is bad.Everyone needs to eb able to contribute.

I know my explanation is likely quite flawed but its the best I can explain.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

InvisibleEvilEwok
Stranger
    #3764534 - 02/10/05 10:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What is Evil? Ewoks and Jacko.
Case closed. :evil:

--------------------
Now go Home.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

Re: What is Evil? [Re: EvilEwok]
    #3764587 - 02/10/05 11:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

What is Evil? Ewoks and Jacko.
Case closed.

LMAO

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3764703 - 02/10/05 11:40 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

yay! now we are getting somewhere.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder