Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this...
    #3747570 -

Being that this post is about fire, and the things I've read on here that just scream unsafe to me, I've gotta start this post out by telling everyone to please be safe and use some common sense when playing with fire.  Even matches are dangerous if you're not careful so just keep that in mind.  Also, if you use different products to do this, please keep in mind that results may very, so just please use caution.

Ok, now that the boring warning's out of the way, lets get started.  Being the pyromaniac that I am, I get very experimental when I see, "Warning: Flammable.  Keep away from heat and flame." on my household products.  The interesting part here is that I saw this on a product that many of my fellow myco-enthusiasts use as well... hand sanitizer.  It piqued my interest further when I read the label and it read, "Active Ingredient: Ethyl Alcohol 62%", as well as several other inactive ingredients being isopropyl alcohol and other flammable ingredients.  Here is the hand sanitizer that I use:

Please keep in mind that while other brands do the same things as far as sanitation, I haven't tried this with other products, and don't know what ingredients are used.

So I decided to hit a couple drops of this with my lighter, and BOOOOM! Lol just kidding...  Anyway, come to find out that this stuff works great for a cheap alcohol burner.  The gelatinous consistency keeps it from running all over the place and allows it to burn in a very slow and consistent time.  I'm sure that being 62% Ethyl Alcohol, and not 100% helps a little too :wink:  I use a coke can turned upside down:

One squirt, about the size of a nickel will burn for about 5 minutes.  Also, the coke can raises the flame up off the counter, giving you room to work, as well as keeping the flame mobile.  The aluminum can will not get too hot to handle.  It'll be warm at the top (actually the base of the can, since its upside down), but that's about it.  In that pic above, it is actually burning, but my camera kind of sucks, and wouldn't capture the blue flame that it produces.  Here's a pic that I took of the flame with the lights off:

As you can see, my camera still sucks with the lights off, but you get the idea.

Also worth noting is that this flame does get VERY hot.  If you do this, try holding your hand 1 ft. above the flame for 5 seconds.  You won't be able to.  Yet another thing worth noting is that this will leave ZERO residue on your needle.  I didn't bother taking a pic of the alcohol soaked cotton ball that I used the other day while inoculating my grain, but I can tell you that there was indeed no residue left on them or the needle.

Let me know what you think...  :mushroom2:


--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3747602 -

I like it. Good work bro.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3747607 -

Hey that's pretty innovative, nice one!


--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3747616 -

need a disclaimer?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3747635 -

Prisoner#1 said:
need a disclaimer?





Just what I was looking for!! Lol
And thanks for the kind words everyone  :stoned:


--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3747783 -

this is what I used to do until I found the joy sternos...

You can find them at most hardware stores or outdoor places like gander mountain, dicks sporting goods... you know, places with camping stuff.

not trying to belittle your idea or anything, just saying these are pretty cool little things


--------------------
..... of course everything you just read was a lie... I just like taking the credit for other peoples masterful work...
Donate to the FSRCanada

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: budslide]
    #3747801 -

Oh shit, I have those at my work! I'm going to have to pocket a few "office supplies".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: budslide]
    #3747819 -

Yea, I've used those before as well. I just figured, if you already got what ya need, why spend more money? Good call though, those work great as well...


--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3747831 -

very cool idea

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: jonas]
    #3747844 -

nice one! maybe filling the can with some plaster would be a good idea to make it heavier and less likely to tipp over?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: Holydiver]
    #3747859 -

Hey Diver, thanks for the shroomies! :stoned:


--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: Arp]
    #3747877 -

Arp said:
nice one! maybe filling the can with some plaster would be a good idea to make it heavier and less likely to tipp over?



Not really necessary.  One squirt doesn't weigh much, and I'm sure you're careful when working with fire right??? :wink:  It would help as far as contams are concerned if you'll be reusing the same can though...


--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3747924 -

You never know :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: Arp]
    #3747984 -

I would venture to guess that it would be in one's best interests to drill a small hole in the side of the can near the top (base) to drain it's contents - refill halfway with water through side hole.


You now how a weight to keep the thing from getting tipped over by a careless tupperware,

as well as...hmmm...ummm...a fire-extinguisher on hand?

lol nice idea bro

'Doobie


--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: ADoobie]
    #3748210 -

nice idea

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3748500 -

i do the exact same thing using just straight rubbing alcohol...its a tad bit more dangerous, but works great, until you knock over the can...which luckily, i haven't done yet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: ChrisHippyLoser]
    #3748536 -

If you do this with rubbing alcohol already, then you will be very pleased with these results.  This burns much longer and much more consistently (flame doesn't 'jump' around as much)...  And as you said, its a little less dangerous, but to each his own :wink:


--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: ADoobie]
    #3748653 -

ADoobie said:
I would venture to guess that it would be in one's best interests to drill a small hole in the side of the can near the top (base) to drain it's contents - refill halfway with water through side hole.



why not just use a full can of soda, the brief time that it will be heated will
not cause the can to rupture from expansion. having some weight to it will
make it more stable but there are a few items that will stablize it more

this rack is designed to hold a beer can and a chicken, walmart sells them for $2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3748662 -

I <3 teh drunken chicken

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Prefer an alcohol flame to a Bic??? Try this... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3748664 -

Well pris why you have to be so smart hmm? Make me look like a foo :smile:

Good look man. Thats 5 shrooms for you.

Peace
'Doobie


--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* flame sterilization sub_simple 4,587 17 12/03/04 10:50 AM
by spliffmasta
* Flaming needle inbetween injections..... PROBLEM ganjagoa 1,972 10 12/23/02 06:16 AM
by Alien
* Re: sterilization w/rubbing alcohol on your syringe Anonymous 2,251 5 01/11/00 05:44 PM
by AnubisRonin
* alcohol lamp? Fungi_x 3,188 15 08/26/03 02:08 AM
by danelectro
* **URGENT** Is 70% isophoric alcohol good? Fd3000 2,526 7 07/03/02 05:18 PM
by Fd3000
* The whole flaming the needle..
( 1 2 all )
Cray 4,643 26 03/02/05 04:02 PM
by XTCollection
* rubbing alcohol harmful? switchstants 3,311 12 03/20/03 04:39 AM
by Anonymous
* flame sterilization droogie75 3,046 13 08/15/14 09:16 PM
by OgreLokon

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
4,017 topic views. 15 members, 68 guests and 154 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.