Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskyzm0
Stranger
What does the green mean?...Is it 'cause i'm not clean?
    #3604497 - 01/09/05 04:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

So today i checked on my cake, and there was a green spot on the top. I knew it was probably the green mold, and i cut through the cake to see if it was totally contaminated and POOF. a big cloud of green stuff came out. I quickly held my breath, put the cake back into the plastic container i had been hoping to fruit in, threw it into a trash bag, and left the room. I came back later and opened a window. I also turned on a fan to air the room out in case the spores were airborne.

This is my first attempt at growing mushrooms, and i have lost a lot of jars to contamination. The first two from sour rot, and two more to the green. I started out with 6, and now I'm down to 1. I am using the straight up PF tek with BRF and Verm, and i am using an autoclave to sterilize the jars. Everything has gone swimmingly up to this point.

Sadly, my little operation would not be appreciated by the ones i live with, so stealth comes at a cost. It seems that, in the case of this batch, that price was contamination.

Does anyone have any suggestions or, better yet, a tek that would reduce the risk of contamination with the benefit of keeping things concealed?

Does the green mean i did something wrong with sterilization? Or, since pennicilium (and I'm assuming that is what the green was) is ubiquitous, is contamination from the green inevitable if it is present, and manages to get into the jars. I wouldn't imagine that would be a challenge since the spores are really small.

It's hard to believe something like that evolved. It's like a microscopic torpedo!

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: What does the green mean?...Is it 'cause i'm not clean? [Re: skyzm0]
    #3607946 - 01/10/05 01:50 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

You should try and read the stickies just at the top of this forum. It will get you started with what you need to know.
To sum it up, you have to follow all the sterile techniques you'll find in any tek, and also be super clean with every tool you use, with yourself and with the space you use to grow.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineskyzm0
Stranger
Re: What does the green mean?...Is it 'cause i'm not clean? [Re: MAIA]
    #3609689 - 01/10/05 07:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I threw out the whole batch, as they all showed signs of some kind of green mold. I'm not sure exaclty what kind it was, but from what i gather, they are all stuff i shouldn't be breathing, and since they are in my room i didn't want to risk my health.

fortunately, i have 2 other jars colonizing in a separate area, which i keep very clean. I started these shortly after the first batch germinated. They are looking very healthy. Lots of rope. I will be very patient with them and try to keep them as clean as possible.

I have a couple questions. Sorry if they are frequently asked. I don't mean to be annoying.

Question number 1: When the colonization was 90% complete, the jars were accidentally exposed to a high temperature. This halted colonization. Could this have weakened the mycelium, making it easier for contaminants to infiltrate and spread?

does mold attack when the mycelium is weakened, or can it obliterate even a strong and healthy cake?

Question number 2: Does flipping the jars so the lid is down on a surface help keep contaminants out?

Question number 3: do mold spores settle, or are they in the air all the time?

That's all for now. Thanks for your help.

OfflineJTHM
Stranger of theLand
Loc: Still trying to figure it...
    #3609965 - 01/10/05 08:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

this is what i did my first time, and all 5 jars are contam free. so far..... and im almost 3-4 weeks in, pinning should happen soon. make sure the whole room is clean,i also sprayed lysol the night before and an hour before preparing substrate and a hour before injecting. take a shower before preparing anything. wash hands thoroughly be for starting as well. if you have long hair, tie it back after you shower.use an alcohol flame to sterile the needle. i dont know if it matters but i used a pressure cooker/canner for 1 hour on 15 psi. i let the jars cool for about 8-10 hours. i also used gloves. hope i didnt leave anything out.

OfflineJTHM
Stranger of theLand
Loc: Still trying to figure it...
Re: What does the green mean?...Is it 'cause i'm not clean? [Re: JTHM]
    #3609977 - 01/10/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

i also used tape over the holes and two layers of alum foil for sterilization. i removed tape to inoculate and put tape back on for at least a week.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #3611516 - 01/11/05 04:53 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

skyzm0 said:
I have a couple questions. Sorry if they are frequently asked. I don't mean to be annoying.

Question number 1: When the colonization was 90% complete, the jars were accidentally exposed to a high temperature. This halted colonization. Could this have weakened the mycelium, making it easier for contaminants to infiltrate and spread?

does mold attack when the mycelium is weakened, or can it obliterate even a strong and healthy cake?

Question number 2: Does flipping the jars so the lid is down on a surface help keep contaminants out?

Question number 3: do mold spores settle, or are they in the air all the time?

That's all for now. Thanks for your help.

Question one: It may have stunted or stopped growth altogether.
2: No
3. Both.

Sounds like you are having sterilization issues. I suggest getting a Pressure cooker. Mold will settle and grow on almost any nutrient if it is in the right conditions.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract