Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Coir, HEPA Filter, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Tapestry, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTripleB
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Green Mold strikes me AGAIN! 5th time in a row... help?!
    #2579088 - 04/19/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

lol im being overrun by this bullshit ass mutha fuckin piece of shit green ass son of a bitch, who keeps fuckin up EVERYTHING... here is the pic ok, now... lol WUT IS GOING ON?? .. how the fuck do i kill this shit in my house/air??? ive sprayed EVERYTHING LYSOL, 50/50 BLEACH, stuff i baught at the store i had to let it set on stuff for 10 mins, foam... I EVEN GOT SO DESPERATE as to spray the air, with 100% bleach.. and this bitch is still here... ive tried growin in every room in my house, ive tried building flowhoods spraying them with bleach, i have build (literally) took 2 tarps, and air-proofed KINDA built a room INSIDE my room.. lol... sprayed that down and STILL CONTAMS... i cooked the dirt at 250 degrees for 30 mins... cooked the vermiculite the SAME.. the cakes were 100% complete, NO CONTAMS IN THE CAKES... i am wondering wtf im doin wrong? i use latex gloves i soak in isopropyl, and i use those, no tools but i have used tools to fill the cases.. i diswashed the plastic bins im using... rubbed them with isoprpyl.. and im gettin REAL pissed... lol.. SO IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA WTF ELSE I CAN DO, PLEAS PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW??!?!?! i am so clean i do not know how these contams are invading.. thank you all and this website.... need anymore pictures for anything, i can get.. ty..

p.s. notice the white cobweb mold?.. i just read that is the start of the green mold????? that would help a bunch, since i get that ALWAYS FIRST.. lol is it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
Re: Green Mold strikes me AGAIN! 5th time in a row... help?! [Re: TripleB]
    #2579212 - 04/19/04 08:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

first of all buy your self some h202 (peroxide) and mix in with some bleach and spray your areas walls down reall good, scrub hard, then spray down again. wear a face mask you can get like packs of five at hardware stores for like 3.50$ or singles for like 89cents, and use them when ur innoculating! try and let everything sit for about 2 hours, walk slowly also as not to stir up too much dust, STERILE!!!

im a newb and damn proud, but i hope my info helped you, it took me one step further in being more sterile...

one more thing, what are you innoculating with? has it been a syringe? the same syringe each time? what about the strain? same strain each time? give us some more info on what ur innoculating with!

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

Anonymous

Re: Green Mold strikes me AGAIN! 5th time in a row... help?! [Re: ThatDaltonGuy]
    #2579904 - 04/19/04 11:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Post History Deleted Upon User's Request

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
    #2581469 - 04/20/04 06:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Have you tried casing in straight verm, or tried cakes?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2581769 - 04/20/04 10:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

That really sucks to put so much work into something and have it crash 5 times in a row.  As was said above, some houses just aren't going to work, the spore load is too high.  Some suggestions, though;

1.  You said the grow area was tarped off, but not how the air was being cleaned inside.  A room-sized hepa running 24/7 in a small enclosed area might help.  A second one used in an adjacent living area could only help. 
2.  Green mold is notorious at lingering in grow setups.  Sometimes just starting completely over material-wise is the only way to purge the green demon.
3.  How much carpeting is in the other parts of the house?  Tapestries?  Couch?  Try to think of all the possibilities and rent a steam vac.  Hit them all twice!  Some people might have mold under their carpet, along the walls, in the bathroom, and not even know it.
4.  The bible says that the most likely vector of contamination is the cultivator 'shimself'.  You might have green mold cooties.  :lol:  If you're washing before touching anything, showering before any serious work, and avoiding wearing outside or dirty clothes in the grow area, that should be enough.  I can give you a source for full-body tyvek coveralls and hairnets :wink:

Having a hepa running full time is the single best first step.  If you already do this, that shit has to be coming from  somewhere.  Good luck;

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Green Mold strikes me AGAIN! 5th time in a row... help?! [Re: Suntzu]
    #2581800 - 04/20/04 10:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Mold can be encouraged in too-wet grow areas without enough fresh air circulation.

Make sure your casing mix is pH buffered and well mixed [mold likes acidic], and applied loosely. . .chunks of solid peat are to be avoided.

Casing mix that is too wet or gets over-watered can also cause problems. It's hard to tell from your pic what your casing moisture/texture is like, but it's another potential problem-area.

You may want to think about trying a different casing formula as well. A straight coir casing would be interesting to try, as it addresses the pH issue and is more forgiving moisture-wise.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2582880 - 04/20/04 02:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

These are a bunch of tips I yanked from several previous posts I have made. They may or may not apply to you directly, but read through them and see. If you have tried five times and failed, then you are determined enough to be able to use some of the following:

Quote:

If you have moved, you might need to really clean the new place you are living. Change out the furnace filters, steam the carpets, wipe down the walls in your new grow room, soak all of your stuff in a bleach solution, put up a new shower curtain, vacuum all the curtains, lysol the hell out of everything, clean the house air vents, run a hepa filter in your grow room, etc...

If you are using the oven tek (which I personally believe leads one to failure) make sure the oven is clean and that the kitchen floor, lower cabinets, and under your fridge are all very clean.

If you aren't using latex gloves, you might consider starting. If you are the experimental type, you can take some cultures from different areas of your new house and incubate them for a day or two (not in your grow room or shroom incubator!) and see which parts of you house are the most dirty.

Where does your friend do the work? On the floor, in the basement, kitchen, etc? Does your friend shower before working? Wear gloves while working? Wear short sleeve shirts while working? Does your friend flame the needle between each jar? Does your friend open the jars before they are 100% colonized. How much does your friend handle the jars? Does your friend clean the incubator between runs? The more info we get, the more likely we can help isolate the problem.

When you have white fuzz that turns green with age, the green color is usually from the spores that the white fuzz produces. These spores are very small and become airborn easily.

Try to figure out where the contamination is coming from. Does it show up in the jars while they are colonizing. Does it only show up after the cakes have been removed from the jars? In the first case, the spores are being introduced before sterilization or during innoculation. In the second case, the problem is with the terrarium, humidifier, air exchange, or something related to the environment.

Do not inoculate one of your jars the next time, but treat it just like all the others in every other respect. If this jar contaminates, you know that the problem is coming before you inoculate.

A few things to remember in general about contamination from spores:

1) spores have weight and are pulled down by gravity. Almost 90% of all airborn spores will be within one foot of the ground. Be sure you are working on a counter or table top which is several feet off the floor.

2) spores are light and can be stirred up and ride air currents. The more you move around, or have fans blowing, the more spores you are going to stir up from the floor to fall onto you work.

3) turn off all fans, air conditioners, heaters, etc a few hours before you work. Close all windows and do everything you can to minimize drafts while you work.

4) your own body is a great place for spores to hide. Do not wear long sleeve shirts while working. Wear clean clothes and take a shower to clean yourself before hand. Use a lot of soap and hot water to clean your hands and the entire length of your arms. Wear latex or vinyl gloves while working. Use a 70% alcohol solution to wipe your arms and gloved hands with before touching anything.

5) a glove box is worth its weight in gold when you have problems with contaminations from spores. Get a roll of plastic wrap and some tape and a cardboard box. Line the inside of the box with plastic wrap. Turn the box on its side and make a 'shower curtain' out of strips of plastic wrap where you hands will go in. You can even get fancy and add a window to look in through the top of the box (covered in plastic wrap of course). Total cost < $5.00. Wipe down the inside of the box with 70% alcohol (or spray the hell out of it with lysol) each time before you use it.

6) skip the oven tek... it simply does not work. Every test I have done shows the hot air lifts up floor bound spores and deposits them onto your work surface. Others (Anno) have verified these observations. (Actually, I verified his observations... credit him for figuring this one out)

7) presoak your substrate for 8 to 12 hours before you pressure cook it. Don't trust the microwave sterilization or boiling water will get hot enough to kill off your contamination. If you are having problems, a good pressure cooker or autoclave is a must. If you are using a PC, make sure that the seal is good and that the proper pressure is being created. If your PC has a weight to regulate pressure, be sure that you let the hot air be pushed out by the generated steam for several minutes before you place the rocker/weight on the nipple.

8) ensure that your syringe isn't contaminated. It does not good to keep everything sterile and then inject contaminted water into the system.

9) wipe down _everything_ you can think of with 70% alcohol solution, or with a dilute bleach solution... don't forget the incubator, terrarium, tubing, humidifier, etc...

10) clean your air filters in the furnace/AC blower if you have central air. Clean couches and chairs, curtrains, walls, any horizontal surfaces that can hold spores, the inside of your fridge, etc.

11) mix up smaller jars (if you are doing quart jars, or larger) Smaller jars colonize faster and give contamination less time to grow.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2582969 - 04/20/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

i cooked the dirt at 250 degrees for 30 mins...

Can you be more specific about the dirt you're using and for which purpose you are using it ?

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Green Mold strikes me AGAIN! 5th time in a row... help?! [Re: ThatDaltonGuy]
    #2582986 - 04/20/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

first of all buy your self some h202 (peroxide) and mix in with some bleach and spray your areas walls down reall good

Never mix bleach with peroxide, it creates a chemical reaction corroding any organic tissue. It could be dangerous if mishandled.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Green Mold strikes me AGAIN! 5th time in a row... help?! [Re: MAIA]
    #2583536 - 04/20/04 05:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

> i cooked the dirt at 250 degrees for 30 mins...

Dry heat sterilization requires much longer times than steam sterilization. Try 250 to 350 for four hours and you will be getting somewhere.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Coir, HEPA Filter, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Tapestry, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum