Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Among Other Things

constant contam problem...green meanies
    #2402469 - 03/04/04 01:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi all, AFOAF has suffered horribly from contams since Last March, out of maybe 10-15 attempts to grow of all kinds, wbs, grain, brf, he has had 2 brf jars succeed in almost a year.
He's been following directions to the tooth, even incubating in garbage bags sprayed fully with lysol before tieing the back.
Unfortunately my friend lives in a bachelor's apartment, so its difficult to maintain absolute sterility, if anyone has any advice or strategies on what he can do to beat the contams once and for all, he'd appreciate it very very much.

Also if anyone can give recommendations on the best way to turn a dirty apartment into sparkling sterility. it'd be very appreciated.

Edited by Mithril (03/04/04 01:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: constant contam problem...green meanies [Re: Mithril]
    #2402860 - 03/04/04 03:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Welll....look up the bathroom sterilization document, and use that for all your innoculations, etc....
other than that, the single most important thing i've done that has helped is vacuumed the carpet.
Most infections i was getting came from dust-related pathogens, and those mostly settled on the carpet, so i sucked em up.
But making a bathroom a clean room is key. Once the baddies start breeding, they're hard to stop.

They don't need the help to spread.

"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2404132 - 03/04/04 09:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Make a clean space... any space...but make sure that space is spotless. Vaccuum... dust.. if dust is falling from the ceiling.,.. you might want to clean that up :wink:.

OUST is a disinfecting product you can buy as just about any place that sells cleaning products or whatever. It kills 99.9% of airborne bacteria and what not. Im sure that includes mold spores as well. Do not have any circulating air when you are trying to innoculate.

Making sure that your syringes and prints were prepared correctly are also key. Making sure that your lids are sealed properly before being pc'd and after will also help with mainting a barrier against contams. Buy a tupperware container... Get your jars, and stick them in there after its all done for like 5 days... then open it up and check on it. Oh... and make sure you leave the foil on the jars till their done colonizing :wink: .. A semi loose lid with semi loose foil will make sure you get the little air exchange you need. Get some alcohol pads and clean off all your equipment before you innoculate.. if your really worried about it. Use the oven tek.

Put the jars on the oven rack with the temp on bake at about 350(correct me if im wrong mods). Some dont use this method.. some build their own glove box. Which their are many user defined teks for.

your friend will need someone to help him with this part.
Innoculate that way... Make sure your hands are clean... Have some kind of butane lighter or something to flame sterilize your syringe. if you want to use the alcohol pad. go ahead.. ive done that and had great success.

Place each jar to be innoculated on the rack.. (do a set at a time) Then take off the foil, to expose the holes while on the rack... Innoculate and flame sterilize.. how often you want to do this is up to you... each time you do cuts back on the chance for cross contamination, or contamination all together between jars or holes. Then put the foil back on while its on the rack, and set to the side.

repeat process till completed. Leave the jars alone.. and check on them as need be. dont open the jars either!

World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2410279 - 03/09/04 09:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good advice. Also, this time of year is more prone to contamination due to higher humidity. Sometimes i see condensation on the walls, so i use a dehumidifier all day long and it's gone.

Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum