Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Where do you stand?
    #3583864 -

When I first joined shroomery about a month ago, I was sort of expecting it would be a community of likeminded people. Once I started reading through some of the threads here in S&P and in other forums I realized that, in a way, shroomery.org is just as diverse as the rest of the world. There are atheists, agnostics, christians, buddhists, as well as many who's theistic beliefs don't fit into any general category. I'm curious now to know what percentage of people identify themselves with a religion, and which don't. Be honest now! Feel free to post a brief description of your belief if yours doesn't fit any of the general categories.
Where do you stand?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 01/05/05 11:39 AM until the end of time

View the results of this poll


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3583880 -

here and there relative to the observers.


--------------------


--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3583881 -

I had to vote other. I swim in the cosmos as a free agent unto myself.


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3583891 -

Quote:

skep?tic also scep?tic Pronunciation Key (skptk)
n.

1. One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.
2. One inclined to skepticism in religious matters.
3. Philosophy.
1. often Skeptic An adherent of a school of skepticism.
2. Skeptic A member of an ancient Greek school of skepticism, especially that of Pyrrho of Elis (360?-272? B.C.).






You missed one of the biggest, most visible philosophical stances within this forum!
Haven't you noted the rather outspoken group of people who instinctively or habitually doubt, question, or disagree with assertions or generally accepted conclusions?
That's the Philosophical stance of Skepticism (with a K)

I voted Native/Tribal btw, it fits my own brand of Wicca/Shamanism well.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Asante]
    #3583894 -

other. I recognize shroomism


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Shroomism]
    #3583916 -

yeah, other. pretty wacky idea for a poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3583917 -

For the longest time I've considered myself agnostic. But then I asked the question, how can I know I can never know if the assumption of this philosophy is that I can never know?

So. That left me with no religion, and no clue as to what can and cannot be know, what can and cannot exist, and what does and does not exist.

Then, one day, I realized that none of this is real and none of it exists. Making me an extreme skeptic known as a nihilist. The notion is both depressing and freeing at the same time.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Asante]
    #3584051 -

Wiccan I think skeptics of theism automatically fall under agnostic.

I voted Other, like most people it seems. My beliefs are a hodgepodge of New Age, taoism, pantheism, and some other things that don't have names.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: ]
    #3584114 -

what is you definitoin on New Age? :P


--------------------


--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: ]
    #3584250 -

Quote:
skep?ti?cism also scep?ti?cism  Pronunciation Key  (skpt-szm)
n.

  1. A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind; dubiety. See Synonyms at uncertainty.
  2. Philosophy.
        1. The ancient school of Pyrrho of Elis that stressed the uncertainty of our beliefs in order to oppose dogmatism.
        2. The doctrine that absolute knowledge is impossible, either in a particular domain or in general.
        3. A methodology based on an assumption of doubt with the aim of acquiring approximate or relative certainty.
  3. Doubt or disbelief of religious tenets.




Quote:
ag?nos?ti?cism  Audio pronunciation of "agnosticism" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (g-nst-szm)
n.

  1. The doctrine that certainty about first principles or absolute truth is unattainable and that only perceptual phenomena are objects of exact knowledge.
  2. The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.




I love the quick & dirty of www.dictionary.com  :grin:

As defined by the dic Agnosticism is the belief God is unprovable, whereas Philosophical Skepticism actively sets out to oppose dogmatism.

Quick and dirty an agnostic is a neutral disbeliever whereas the skeptic is an active debunker of alleged (theistic) facts.


.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Gomp]
    #3584264 -

By New Age I mean the stuff about ushering in an... uh... new age... the age of Aquarius if you want to call it that.

But more specifically this includes (for me personally) hyperdimensional entities, reincarnation, and spiritual evolution.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Asante]
    #3584282 -

I guess it's all semantics. I used to be agnostic and I considered myself at the same time a skeptic, because I was skeptical of whether or not God can and does exist. I certainly wasn't out to debunk God's existence. That sounds more like atheism.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Asante]
    #3584294 -

Haven't you noted the rather outspoken group of people who instinctively or habitually doubt, question, or disagree with assertions or generally accepted conclusions?

This could be done by a buddhist, agnostic, christian, hindu, or even an other. It would be inconsistent to include skeptic as a choice as skepticism is a method, not a set of beliefs like the other choices listed.

But really you're just whining, not making a serious suggestion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3584298 -

oh yeah, and this poll is whack.
shroomery.org is just as diverse as the rest of the world.
Yes.. and the world only has 7 belief systems plus the 8th option of "other" for those who don't fit in with the elemental 7.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: ]
    #3584322 -

thanks for sharing :P  :thumbup:


--------------------


--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3584345 -

Whining?

Skepticism is a Philosophy where assertions and common knowledge are disbelieved and disproved by default in order to oppose dogmatism.

Skepticism (with a K) aims at the Philosophical stance of opposing "absolute truth" by the Skeptical method.

This is not whining, it is stating the definition of the term.
Skepticism in this sense is nothing difference from Agnosticism or Buddhism, which also is a method and lifestyle.

Since you brought on the Skeptic method, please enlighten me on how the Skeptic method is performed correctly.
And please abstain from emotionally charged words like "whining" when I got the definition right to the letter.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

Onehomemission.org
truly make a difference

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3584517 -

All of the above

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Asante]
    #3584552 -

Skepticism in this sense is nothing difference from Agnosticism or Buddhism, which also is a method and lifestyle.

True, in that sense. But that's your sense, not mine. Allow me to place my finger on the pulse of this forum.. Yep, the skepticism around here is different from the "classical" definition of skeptic (with a k). In fact, your skeptics don't exist here, so your request was a silly one, which is all I was getting at.

The Shroomery School of Skeptic Behaviour doesn't use skepticism in your sense, but something known as "critical thinking" and it is an overlaying method of engaging with fellow shroomerites and can be used in conjunction with any or more of the religious belief systems listed in the poll. In this sense, skepticism is not at all analagous to buddhism or agnosticism, but it is a method that could be employed by either of them.

This is not whining, it is stating the definition of the term.
*joins you in ignoring context*

please abstain from emotionally charged words like "whining"
*sigh* .. more whining. Seriously, though, stop making emotionally charged requests, and avoid emotionally charged words like "emotionally charged."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: soulmotion]
    #3584598 -

i chose other...

I'd be close to saying agnostic but they say that humans will never know about god and I'm not about to limit myself just yet :wink:


--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Where do you stand? [Re: Shroomism]
    #3584650 -

Shroomism said:
other. I recognize shroomism



nice! :wink:

If you would indulge me, I would love to hear a description of 'shroomism' ( I forsee a possible coy response like, "You're looking at it...". If you would be so kind as to provide a definition, I would be mush abliged  :smile:.

The fact that so many shroomites have chosen 'other' tells me that they most of us don't like to wear labels. What's ironic is that agnosticism is the term that's usually given to represent those folks, yet by virtue of their agnosticism they refuse to own that title. My intention with the 'other' category was to include those who do have specific beliefs, but specific beliefs which are unique (unique in the sense that they are uncommon). In any case, thanks for exersising your right to vote!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Agnostics and atheists will you succumb just before the end?
( 1 2 all )
Scarfmeister 3,714 25 04/23/03 06:18 PM
by CeeEssGee
* . z_x_x_z 1,250 16 06/02/05 01:19 PM
by SneezingPenis
* assumptions in agnostic"ism" kaiowas 920 8 11/08/04 11:27 PM
by kbilly
* Calling all Skeptics, Agnostics, Determinists... lucid 1,067 14 11/19/03 01:11 AM
by ZenGecko
* atheist vs agnostic vs deist looner2 1,976 14 10/29/05 10:48 AM
by Deviate
* Agnostic Medical Center Swami 553 3 08/05/03 02:23 PM
by Sclorch
* Dyslexic Agnostic Peaceful_Nomad 687 1 07/31/02 07:05 AM
by Sclorch
* Argument Against A Conscious/First Cause God.... Akira 1,480 17 01/05/06 07:04 AM
by psyka

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,360 topic views. 2 members, 0 guests and 29 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.059 seconds spending 0.034 seconds on 24 queries.