Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
Re-using straw water
    #351610 - 06/29/01 05:52 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

When pastuerizing wheat straw there is of course the remaining straw water. Since the leftover water has some golden color to it, there seems to be some leaching of nutrients... In the past, I have pressure cooked the water and stored it in a 1 gallon milk jug for use in jar substrates. I am wondering if it is suitable to re-use the straw water to pastuerize future batches of wheat straw. In doing so, the straw will be pastuerized in the nutrient rich water leftover by previous batches. I'm sure there is some pH consideration since the re-used water will likely be acidic in nature. I plan to use ground Calcium Carbonate to help neutralize the straw water. Are there any other concerns I might want to take note of?

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsilocybe cubensis
Blood, guts, andbroken teeth.

Loc: Lost Angels
Re: Re-using straw water *DELETED* [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #351698 - 06/29/01 09:09 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by psilocybe cubensis

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Re: Re-using straw water [Re: psilocybe cubensis]
    #353921 - 07/12/01 09:12 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Toxic in what way?

--------------------

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
Re: Re-using straw water [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #354055 - 07/13/01 06:49 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Yes you must take into account the "oppenhiem factor"; when you do more and more batches the water becomes darker and darker until suddenly it becomes so dark that it becomes a black hole for just a smidgon of an instant and it sucks in half of the volume of water but while doing this the PH goes down. Why because the H20 molecules and oH- ions can move much quicker than their fat cousin the h3o+ therefore more oh- and h3o+ get "sucked into" the "oppenhiem void" (just a black temporary hole) and leave behind their fatter overweight slow moving relative; therefore, more h30+ = lower pH.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Re: Re-using straw water [Re: tom]
    #356010 - 07/16/01 10:26 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Tom:
If you will look at my occupation, you might find me more qualified to explain. All that set aside, I appreciate you bringing it up. I have taken pH into consideration and I always adjust it back to about 6.5 (meter) with additions of CaCO3- and CaOH...or (Calcium Carbonate and Lime). I always must make about a 1:1 dilution or a little more with fresh spring water in order to have enough volume. Therefore, my water never gets that super dark color. I am familiar with the dark color however. Just 2 or 3 batches can certainly make that water look nappy! The CaCO3- brings the pH up to about 6.0 at which point the soluablity levels out in a aqueous solution like the straw water. The additions of the Hydroxide ion from the lime, would in this case complete the neutralization of of any H3O+. The true essense of the Oppenheim Factor is not really known to me. I made an attempt to reference it but had no luck....Could you provide me a source for your reference?

My main point in asking this was to attempt to find out if I am leaching away valuable nutrients when I pastuerize. I unfortunately have much less expirience with biology. Thanks to all of you.....Rhino

--------------------

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #356033 - 07/16/01 11:43 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

"Ha ha" -- Me

Old Donkeys don't die, they go to:
Drool Donkey Island
Support the FSR!

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #356352 - 07/17/01 02:21 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

i suggest you read GGMM and TMC, they will answer a good deal of questions you may have.. they may not be pirfect books, but they are a great resource.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale