Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEgoMagickian
human

Loc: San Francisco
Basic straw question
    #1918602 - 09/15/03 05:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

After reading the oldtimer straw tek, I'm curious about this growing mushrooms on straw without dung. Does straw contain any nutrients that the mycelium uses, or is it just there as a non-nutritive part of the substrate, like the vermiculite in PF cakes.

If the former, then can one innoculate straw directly with liquid culture? And if the latter, then what are the advantages to the oldtimer tek?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewalk
ignorantwhiteman

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
Re: Basic straw question [Re: EgoMagickian]
    #1918681 - 09/15/03 05:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

the former

Invisibleund3rw0rld

Re: Basic straw question [Re: walk]
    #1918713 - 09/15/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

this isnt advance

OfflineEgoMagickian
human

Loc: San Francisco
Re: Basic straw question [Re: und3rw0rld]
    #1918730 - 09/15/03 06:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

<sigh> This whole different forums thing gets frustrating. I think I'm going to stick to the Main cultivation forum and let people bitch at me there for not putting things in other forums, rather than the other way around.

I thought bulk substrates counted as "advanced". My bad?

Anonymous

Re: Basic straw question [Re: EgoMagickian]
    #1919594 - 09/15/03 10:25 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Straw is the substrate, like grains or manure. Typically it is inoculated with spawn that has been inoculated with spores, or mycelium on agar or in liquid.
Bypassing the spawn and going directly from liquid culture to the Straw(bulk) is unorthodox, but workable. Just have to watch the moisture content since adding to much inoculum(liquid mycelium cultures) will add lots of water as well.

According to the gourmet mushroom bible this type of system is used in ASIA. Germinated spore solutions(liquid)are used to inoculate bulk substrates. So it is only unorthodox to those that haven't done it.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic straw question [Re: ]
    #1922296 - 09/16/03 06:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Actually Teo, I think even in Asia, where spore mass innoculations are commonplace, the liquid is much more often used in the innoculation of sterilized supplemented sawdust than in the innoculation of straw. I think liquid innoculation of straw would be considered un-orthodox in any setting, especially in the home environment.

But my version of the answers
Quote:

After reading the oldtimer straw tek

A lot of people had problems with repeating old timers method exactly. For many, the cakes didn't recover their violent blending. Most found that a large handheld cheese grater provides similar results to his, but with more successful rates of the spawn recovering.

Quote:

I'm curious about this growing mushrooms on straw without dung

Until the recent fad of using dung came to the omc in the last year or two, straw has ruled as the most common bulk substrate for decades. Using straw without dung is not uncommon at all. In fact, I'd venture to guess that far more cubes have been grown on straw than on dung.

Quote:

Does straw contain any nutrients that the mycelium uses

Straw has lots of nutrients, although not as many as a whole grain or something. Therefore it does benefit from a high spawn rate (which acts not only to colonize the substrate but to boost it's nutritional content as well)
Quote:

If the former, then can one innoculate straw directly with liquid culture?

One might could. I doubt even if the kinks were worked out that one would do it. Biggest problem would be that with liquid cultures like we typically use (dextrose, honey water, malt water etc) they are very prone to contamination. You spray these on unsterile (aka pasteurized) straw, and they will contaminate immediately due to the excess and concentrated nutrients.

BTW, I reccomend shroomgod's straw tek over OT's, however you can still use a cheese grater on the cakes to use as spawn in either tek.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Anonymous

Re: Basic straw question [Re: mycofile]
    #1930135 - 09/18/03 08:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well stated Mycophile. 

Yes Sugars added to straw directly seems like a really bad idea.  I have trouble with straw without the addition of any sugar.  That is why I like the POO so much.  :tongue:

Why do I always type you as Mycophile, sorry.  MYCOFILE

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic straw question [Re: ]
    #1932713 - 09/19/03 03:56 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, thanks for the name correction, I just usually let it slide though. Check your pm's for general straw info.....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology