Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Posssible to grow liquid culture on straw water?
    #3125961 - 09/12/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So I'm pastuerizing a small batch of straw right now in water that's approximately 150-160 degrees F. The water is this great brown color. Can I filter and jar this liquid for later use in mycelium culture? Anyone tried this? I'm kinda worried about all the weird unknowns in the straw, but I would PC the culture jars before inoculation. Thanks!  :pirate:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Re: Posssible to grow liquid culture on straw water? [Re: ToolTroll]
    #3126016 - 09/12/04 03:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know if this has been tried, or if it works or even has a chance of working.  If you try it then let us know! :smile:

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #3126029 - 09/12/04 03:23 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

this is similar to the "corn steep fermentives" tek, but ive never read about it being used on its own. usually it is added to agar or used in place of (sometimes diluted) water. things might be different since its straw rather than a grain that youve simmered nutes out of into the liquid but its prob not a bad idea. save it, steam sterilize it, and try it as a liquid medium or as a small additive in liquid/solid mediums.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Re: Posssible to grow liquid culture on straw water? [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #3126095 - 09/12/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My bad, I went to put it into a cooling container, and as it swirled around, I noticed it was lighter in color, and I realized that I had put lime in the water. Duh! So I imagine with such a high pH it won't work as a liquid culture. I should have saved the water from the hydration bath which was just water, but I had not thought of it until it was in the lime water. Oh well, maybe next time.
By the way, I did try this with plain ol' potato water (water that had boiled potatoes, don't add salt) without adding agar or anything, and it worked. Got some mycelium water from an old Mazapatec print I had. Injected this potato mycelium mixture into a few jars about 3 days ago. I hope it works!

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #3126149 - 09/12/04 04:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if its sterile it will work, but it might have been better to add a smidge of dextrose to the water. did you let it water boil off after removing the spuds or did you just use the broth as is? look up pda and pdya agar recipes, the liquid counterpart is the same recipe minus the agar. how good of growth did you get from the broth and please specify if you cooked of some of the water to get a better nute concentration.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

#3126200 - 09/12/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yo kilgore! I freakin' dig Vonnegut, man.
I was boiling spuds for some mashed potatoes and when the potatoes were done I just poured off the water into a cooling container. Then when it was cool I put into a pomegranate juice container, just a glass jar with a metal screw on lid. To sterilize it I put it in the microwave (minus the metal lid) for like 4 or 5 minutes, then let it cool in the microwave before putting on the lid. Days later, in my HEPA closet, I scraped some spores into this jar and let it sit for a couple weeks. The print was 3 or 4 years old, but eventually I saw some mycelium floating around, so I made a couple syringes and injected some jars. The mycelium didn't seem to grow very fast, and it was hard to see it when I swirled or shook the jar (spud solids clouded the jar). I also put some in another jar that had sterile water already in it, essentially diluting the potato mycelium broth, to see if that speeds up mycelial growth. If and when I do this again, I would put a polyfilled hole in the metal lid. I would also probably filter the broth back in the first step, to remove the solids that often clouded the mix. Anyway, hope this helps someone get their experiment on. Peace!

--------------------
my cactus collection

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3126201 - 09/12/04 04:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Once I realized that the mycelium of Pleurotus pulmonarius grew on the water in which I soaked a paper/straw mixture.
If I can find the picture again I will post it ...

Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
    #3126292 - 09/12/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

tooltroll, next time heres what i think you should do:

strain out potato materiel as you said, but add dextrose as per the potato dextrose agar recipe but give it a smidge less. then sterilize in a pressure cooker with the polyfil lid on. the polyfil is a good idea, but i like the pressure cooker because you are more assured that the lid, filter, and container are all sterile. also you might want to use a sterile tissue transfer method rather than spores. try to use a half pint wide mouth or something comparable and fill it about 1/3 full. im just fond of that suface to volume, it seems like you get a good amount of air that way, but ive never tried a quart jar/culture tube/flask relatively full with solution so i dont know if those results are much different or not. id like someone else to step in on that point.

ragadinks, please consider the experience as i aked tooltroll to. how well did it actually grow and what kind of nutrient concentration would you say it had. what was the exact process? that might clue us into the nute concentration. some nutes obviously diffused into the water, but that does not mean that the water alone would fair well as a liquid growth medium. boiling the paper and straw would be better, afterwards mixing in additional nutes and sterilizing.

--------------------
"I didnt fight a secret war in nicaragua so you could walk these streets of freedom bad-mouthing lady america in your damn mirrored sunglasses."

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3126360 - 09/12/04 05:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

it's a pity that my upload limit for today has been reached cause I have found a picture of it.
Before I took the picture the mycelium was covering the whole surface of the liquid, but in order to take the picture I had to shake the bucket a bit and the mycelium clumped together.
But you can still see some of it floating on the surface of the liquid.
> how well did it actually grow and what kind of nutrient concentration would you say it had.
Since I did not measure the exact quantities of the ingredients and also have no possibility to make a chemical analysis it is hard to tell what exactly the nutrient concentration is, but it was enough and not too much to promote the growth of mycelium of the P. pulmonarius strain.

> what was the exact process

The process was simple:
First I cutted some straw with a pair of scissors to a length of about 1-2 inch.
I filled about half of a plastic box with the straw and the other half with a mixture of clean newspaper/brown cardboard and poured very hot water over it ( but it was not boiling ... ).
The I waited till the water had cooled down and put the paper straw mixture in pillow case in which I mixed the spawn of the P. pulmonarius.
Since the substrate mix was very wet I have put the pillow case over a plastic bucket where the excess water went into.
After about two weeks you could see the mycelium floating on the yellow-brownish water.
I will post a pic tomorrow so that you can see it.

The strange thing is that the whole process was not sterile at all and the liquid was not closed airtight all the time.
So I think the nutrients only promoted the growth of P.pulmonarius but not of other organism/contams.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Posssible to grow liquid culture on straw water? [Re: ragadinks]
    #3129922 - 09/13/04 04:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

so, here is the picture I promised.
please note that I did not take the picture with the goal to show the mycelium floating on the straw/paper water at all
- so it is surely not ideal, but I think you can see the white flakes floating on water ?
This is the mycel of P.pulmonarius which covered the whole surface of the liquid prior to shaking it :frown: .
The stuff above the water in the bucket is the pillow case in which the wet substrate is:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Potato Dextrose, Pressure Cooker, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology