Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Chefie McGaggie

Loc: T dot, If you do not know...
Rye grain expands, lesson learned, now what?
    #3554202 - 12/28/04 09:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

So Afoaf learned a valuable lesson, organic rye grain when soak for 24H likes to expand, REALLY EXPAND. They needed appoximately 12-14 L of grain, but now have 20 L over that. They have been humbled, and chalk this up to education, luckly not an expensive lesson. So what can one do with soaked rye grain, other then just boil and eat? No jars left to fill, nor need to have that many more jars. It has been removed from jars, rinsed and siting in a bucket, no lid. They assume there is a time limit on this.

Oh just so no one else does the same stupid mistake:
a 1.5L jar was filled with 28 oz of grain, cold water added to fill, shook, then sat for 24H. This will appearently make about 1.5 L in the end. 18-20oz will be used next time I'm sure by my friend.

Have a safe journey through life,

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
Re: Rye grain expands, lesson learned, now what? [Re: franco_on]
    #3554237 - 12/28/04 09:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

heh. a couple months ago, i ended up with a lot of millet i couldn't use.

i drained it and ate nearly all of it over the course of a few days. plain old grain doesn't taste all that exciting, so i experimented by adding different things to it (cayenne pepper was great). when i got to the point where i couldn't eat any more, i tossed it out in the yard for the birds. i didn't waste it and i assume it was more healthy than the usual food i eat, so i'm still glad i ate it.

eat what you can. get creative and make some good meals out of it.

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye grain expands, lesson learned, now what? [Re: eric_the_red]
    #3555046 - 12/29/04 12:41 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It expands more when you boil it :wink:

IME Rye fully and properly hydrated expands to 3.5 times its dry size or so. Takes about 1 pound of dry rye to make 2 quarts when I do it...got a nice scoop when I bought rye in some containers that held 1 pound of rye..I just use that..

You can make up the jars and PC them and keep tin foil on top. Kept in the fridge they should least a month or two..use ASAP though.

"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation