Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Loc: under your bed
help w/ glovebox...
    #3530951 - 12/22/04 10:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Howdy all,
I'm in need of some advise on glovebox building. I've never owned one, or used one. However it's only a matter of time till I wish I had used one.
In the past, I only lost 1 casing to some green mold. I thank Shroomage for that! Would of never made it this far on my own;)
Since he's not around for me to bug him, I need to turn to the community for help.
So for you guys/gals who have built a glovebox here's some ?'s
How do you transfer objects from the outside world to the box? I'm at a loss on that one.
I'd like to use my rubbermaid container as the box. It's something like 10 galllons I think, and the only port for opening I can come up with is through the top. Which is were clear saran wrap will be secured. I've done the clear saran wrap thing in the past. This is how I keep my casings.
Spore printing was always done using the oven, and again this has always proven it self as a champ.
So my other ? is......(drum roll).... Should I not even bother changing what works for me. How much better-off will I be considering the top will have to be opened anyway to allow things to be placed in?
To remidy(sp?) that the only other solution that I can come up with is a small(85c.f.) pc fan. However funds for a hepa filter is out of the ? right now. I'm skimping on life as it is just trying to get my spores.
Well thanks in advance.
Happy, and safe holidays to you all

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: help w/ glovebox... [Re: kiss]
    #3531225 - 12/22/04 12:10 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I think if you're been as relatively contam free as you appear to be, then stick with what you know. Glove boxes are great if they're built right. They can be a pain in the ass if they aren't though. Don't cut corners is my advice.

I was lucky enough to find a container that happened to have the same dimensions as an uncut sheet of plexi from home depot. A solid piece of plexi doesn't cost that much and it makes a much better lid than plastic wrap. A tip for cutting holes in the sides of big plastic containers: drill saw. Don't fuck around with hot knives. Get a roto-zip, dremel, or a saw bit for a drill and go to town on that thing. Took me less then five minutes and i didn't have to inhale any nasty fumes.

Fans are tricky. You'll most likely need a bigger fan. The fan on mine is barely powerful enough to suck air through the filter I have on it, much less provide enough positive pressure. Positive pressure is important. Any leads on good fan/filter combos would help me out actually. Small fans have trouble driving sub-micron filters. And if the filter is not good enough, then your box might be doing more harm than good. Another thing to consider is that your fan actually needs room to breathe. I forget the technical term for this, i think it's blowback or something. You need enough space between the filter and the fan to ensure that it's working efficiently. Otherwise you could end up just cycling the air around the fan itself. A seperate "fan house" connected to the glove box via a plastic tube is a good idea.

As for transfering, I don't know how other people have their boxes set up but here's how I do it:

My glove holes have plastic sleeves that I slip my clean gloved hands into. The posi-pressure does a relatively good job of keeping the sleeves pressed against my hands & wrists effectively sealing the holes. To transfer, I just wipe the jars with alcohol and slip them into one of those holes with the fan running while the other hole is tied up. The air blowing out of the hole hopefully prevents anything outside the box from landing on the jars for the brief moment that they are exposed. The foil on the jar lid is removed inside the box. This method has worked for me flawlessly and I have NEVER had a jar contaminate on me this way. Other people just remove the lid briefly, load all the jars in quickly and run the fan for about 20 minutes before working. that works too.

I apologize if this is confusing. I'm really tired and my brain isn't working so well. If you want me to, I can make some sketches of my design later and post them.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Re: help w/ glovebox... [Re: gsmith]
    #3532018 - 12/22/04 03:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Some photo's, or sketch's are always welcome. However you might be right. Stick with what works!
Damn! I'm nervous....
It's been awhile since my last grow show w/ shrooms, and money being XTREMLY tight right now. Not sure if I still have it...you know!
Hows bout a glovebox without the posi-pressure? Example would be anything thats not able to be P. cooked, wiped down with bleach/water solution.
You see, I'm just trying to lesson the chances of something attacking my printing, and syring making.
The way I see it (correct me anytime please!), Taking my jars (for printing) while still hot from the P. cooker, and wiping them down, along with everything else in the box down, should still be better then the oven....right?
However again i'm still at a loss on transfering the caps for printing to the box! Unless I scratch the idea of using my 3.5 gallon buckets for my casings, and just grow inside the box.
I like my 3.5 gal. buckets though... A 9" pie plate fits pretty nice in them.
any thoughts?

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: help w/ glovebox... [Re: kiss]
    #3533546 - 12/22/04 11:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Just cut it and carry it there...put the glovebox as close to the grow chamber as you can. Stick a pin in the top of the caps then cut them with a terilized scalpel and don't flip the cap over..that way the gills stay down..then pop it in the jar as quick as you can.

Glovebox is easy and simple..even a trashbag works. Just get a rubbermaid and attach some decent gloves sealed to it and a clear lid. It will be fine.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinekiss
numbnuts
 User Gallery

Re: help w/ glovebox... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3545007 - 12/26/04 08:23 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Thx scatmanrav,
That makes me feel alittle better. I havn't had the time yet to do any of this with the holidays, but tomorrow is lookin pretty good.

--------------------
see dick drink
see dick drive
see dick die
don't be a dick!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation