Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevzalkaloid
Stranger
Alcohol-sprayed glovebox: how to sterilize scalpel?
    #1714138 - 07/14/03 02:34 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

High!  :cool:
A friend of mine has a glovebox. It's a hermetic plastic box with gloves and no ventilation. He used to do his agar transfers in such a fashion: the box is wiped with vodka, then all necessary stuff is rubbed with vodka and put inside, finally some vodka is sprayed through a little gap with lid a bit opened. Then the box is sealed, hands go into the gloves and everything inside the glovebox is rubbed with vodka once more. Scalpel is sterilized before each transfer by dipping it in 95% alcohol and lighting it up. Why vodka? - because he had an explosive accident once after he used 95% alcohol for spraying the box and scratched a lighter...  :eek: KABOOM! the spirits ignited, the box was filled with fire for few seconds, but, fortunately, there wasn't enough oxygen and it stopped before his hands got barbecued :smile: Since then, he uses alcohol ONLY for dipping and vodka (40% alcohol) for rubbing,  because its vapours don't ignit, from his experience.

However, somebody told him that vodka ain't good at killing bacteria and fungi spores, better to drink it. This hypothesis coincided with his contamination rate. So my friend is going to spray the box with 95% alcohol. He is puzzled: how to sterilize the scalpel inside the box filled with alcohol vapours? He thinks of sterilizing it in foil in a PC, then unfolding the foil and using the sterile scalpel. But in case of 10 Petri dishes, should he have 10 scalpels? one for each transfer. Or would it be enough to dip ONE scalpel into alcohol after each transfer (without lighting up) to provide adequate sterility? Your advice would be appreciated  :eyemouth: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Alcohol-sprayed glovebox: how to sterilize scalpel? [Re: vzalkaloid]
    #1714154 - 07/14/03 02:38 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My friend simply wipes his utensils with a saturated alcohol pad. Works fine and they're cheap too.  :smile: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: Alcohol-sprayed glovebox: how to sterilize scalpel? [Re: vzalkaloid]
    #1714247 - 07/14/03 03:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i think wrapping in foil and sterilizing, then swabbing with alcohol once in the box and opened should be fine. wear gloves too. you shouldn't need a flame in there though, so go ahead and use isopropyl instead of vodka (though vodka is much more fun because you can drink the leftovers).

Offlinevzalkaloid
Stranger
Re: Alcohol-sprayed glovebox: how to sterilize scalpel? [Re: dog]
    #1714322 - 07/14/03 03:14 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My friend has some sterile pads and alcohol at hand, so his cat is gonna follow the dog's advice now, thanks for that :wink: Isopropyl sounds poisonous, particular amount of it is inhaled anyway. Better to breathe "Absolut" than stuff that can make you blind. And I heard alcohol solutions below 70% aren't good at sterilization.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation