Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Flowhood vs glovebox plus parts question
    #3226292 - 10/07/04 03:11 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am looking into moving up from my current glovebox to either a larger one with a hepa filter system in it or a flowhood.

1) First of all what would you say would be the pro's of having a flowhood over a good glovebox, short of the fact that you could do all of your work without gloves or using only thin removable gloves?

The 2 options I was looking at would be to build a flowhood using a hepa filter with the vents ported to a semi-enclosed box (wood on the sides bottom and back with a plexiglass slanted top that goes down enough to allow arms to fit in and move around) using a dryer outlet hose ported to the back where many holes would be drilled to force the air through and over the working surface space. Or building a large glovebox using a pvc frame, gluing Plexiglass for the base, long gloves at the front and gluing a plastic sheet material like that used in the Martha to the rest of the PVC for the sides, back, front and top. I would also be placing a the same $30 hepa filtration system from wally world inside of it, porting the power cord through the pvc and sealing it off. I could then put everything in there, turn on the hepa filter for awhile, then begin work.

2) Would the type of glovebox I described work ok?

3) If so, does anyone know where to get the plastic sheet material that I would need? The same type used in the Martha, mattress's come in, etc. Or should I just cut up a few Martha's?

4) Also a good source for long spacious rubber gloves? Not wanting to use something like trash bags and my current dish-washing style gloves are not roomy enough or go deep enough into the box to work.

The reason I am leaning more toward the glovebox is so that I could easily attach the top of a large casing bin like a small trash can or Rubbermaid to the hole that everything else enters through. Then tape the top of that casing bin to the rest of the box using loose plastic sheets that are glued to the PVC. After running the hepa I could drop everything needed into it without having to worry about contamination.

Any idea's or suggestions would be great.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flowhood vs glovebox plus parts question [Re: MadHatR]
    #3226489 - 10/07/04 07:39 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

1). Maneuverability. You are free to do your work over open air without worrying about anything. You dont have to prep your glove box anymore with lysol or any other chemical.

2). Yes, many people use pressure box's.

3). You dont need to use plastic, you can use rubbermaids also. As long as you have it HEPA filtered, it really does not matter.

4). Farm supply stores. They have shoulder deep gloves for sticking there hand up the cavity O_o

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Flowhood vs glovebox plus parts question [Re: Citric]
    #3226718 - 10/07/04 09:44 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have gone the rubbermaid path before. Most are to small or do not provide enough visibility. Plus they are often so small that you have yo have the filter on the outside and port the air in. Building one would allow me to customize it to fit any current or future needs like adding a port from it to the casing chamber so the hepa can serve fresh air to it when needed to. This would also allow ports to large casing boxes so that broken up myc never leaves a clean area until after the casing is on top of it. As for the plastic, it was starring me in the face all along. A clear shower curtain would be perfect. I will hunt down a farm supply store though for the gloves. That is a very good idea. Thank you very much for the advice and quick response.

--------------------
Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3227706 - 10/07/04 01:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

A GB is the first big step in your sterile tissue culture technique, a flowhood is your next big step after that only if it is large enough. IME a small flowhood is really no better and in some instances inferior to a glovebox pressurized or not. A large flowhood 24"x48" or 30"x48" kicks total ass, it just makes life so much easier (convenient)!!! IMHO but convenience does come with a price! :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Flowhood vs glovebox plus parts question [Re: hyphae]
    #3230343 - 10/07/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

One last question on my large glovebox idea. Would it be better to have the entire hepa unit inside the box or have it outside wrapped in a plastic bag that is ported to a dryer hose and then attached to the box. The box would then need a hole cut in it covered in tyvec to allow the air to escape.

With either method I could port the air to a martha also to allow clean air to it also when the box was not in use.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3230578 - 10/07/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Having the unit on the outside would make your GB pressurized as far as to how you want to connect it is up to you. A suggestion pressurized gloveboxes do not need much CFM to become efficiently pressurized as little as 80-100 CFM or less can create the perfect system now this isn't taking into account the CFM needed to pull the air through the HEPA, What I'm trying to say is a 120mm axial computer fan and a cheap vacuum HEPA maybe put to better use here leaving your HEPA unit to help keep the air in the room cleaner. Also I prefer using a GB with arm holes and use gloves letting the air blow past my arms as opposed to gloves that are sealed to the box. Just my personal preference :laugh: GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineShaqAttack
JarHead

Loc: Armpit of the North East
My cheap ars glove box>> [Re: hyphae]
    #3231559 - 10/08/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I have had good luck doin grain to grain transfers and other small tasks with a very cheap and simple "glove box". I took a 4'x2'x1.5' white walmart shelf (4 shelf one) for $12 and cleaned it well. I took a roll of syran wrap and totally enclosed the top shelf. I then cut a small hole in the small end of the syran wrap and sprayed the inside with lysol and oust and closed the hole back up. After a 1/2 hour I wipe down my jars and insert them and any tools through the same hole and reclose the hole. I then go around to one of the long side of the syran wrap and cut 2 small holes for my arms. I put on disposable gloves and alcohol them and I have a poor mans glove box for sure. The best part is that when you're done you throw the syran wrap out and clean the shelf and there's nothing left but the walmart shelf. Anyone ever do anything like that before? The manuveurabilty is not the best inside of it - I feel a little like Godzilla when using it!!  :cool:

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: My cheap ars glove box>> [Re: ShaqAttack]
    #3231691 - 10/08/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Currently I am using a clear rubbermaid box turned upside down with 4" holes cut in it, and large dish-washing gloves attached to it using 4" PVC pipe connectors and it works well. Only real problem is space. Only 3 jars will really fit in at a time and at times if I drop something I can not reach it without tipping the box. No real contamination problems, but I should buy stock in lysol for how much of it I'm using. Not to mention that even with letting it all settle before opening the jars I am sure there is still enough of it in the air that it is not good for the myc. Lysol has been known to cause deformities.

--------------------

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: My cheap ars glove box>> [Re: MadHatR]
    #3231728 - 10/08/04 01:45 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Also I'm not sure if anyone has tried this yet, but would it be possible to take a hair dryer, set to cold air, and hook it up on the outside pushing air through a hepa filter mounted on the inside? Also what is the best way to let the air escape when using a external system? The good air is going in, the bad air has to go somewhere. That was my main concern about having a external or ported system. You could not make a complete vacuum inside then pump only good air in. With the entire unit inside it would clean all the current air and you wouldn't have to worry about any of those little nasties hanging around.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My cheap ars glove box>> [Re: MadHatR]
    #3233273 - 10/08/04 01:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Heres something thats even slicker! The schmuvbox glovebox

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My cheap ars glove box>> [Re: hyphae]
    #3233895 - 10/08/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thats awsome...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinebittercotton
Stranger
picture [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3234351 - 10/08/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

does the guy in that second picture have an erection? Something looks strange.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: picture [Re: bittercotton]
    #3234377 - 10/08/04 07:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

HAHAHA I just noticed that. I think its a camera trick from the fan blowing his clothes against his skin and off to his side.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: picture [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3234393 - 10/08/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

He gotta a lot a shit about that before lets just say it was a camera trick alright. :wink: Some of us hardcore mycologists get very excited when doing procedures :laugh:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

InvisibleOpera

Re: picture [Re: hyphae]
    #3282536 - 10/27/04 12:30 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

- pvc pipping (home depot)
- plastic sheeting (wal-mart)
- glue gun or clear tape (wal-mart)
- hepa air filter (wal-mart)

1. with the pvc pipping, make a square frame (big enough where you can fit in there at work on whatever you need)
2. using the plastic sheeting cover all 5 sides (not including the bottom) and hot glue the sheeting around the frame, so it's nice and air tight or you can use clear tape and tape the sheeting together or both... whatever works.
3. now place sheeting on the ground and put the frame you just built on top of the sheeting you place on the ground.
4. throw in a hepa air filter in the frame you build
5. throw in your jars and ect in a rubbermaid container along with another hepa air filter and close the lid and lift up your square plastic sheeting frame you build eariler and put the rubbermaid container in.
6. then take lysol / oust and spary the whole square plastic sheeting frame you build and let it sit while you take a shower and put on some clean clothes and lift up and hop in your square sheeting frame and work on whatever you need to do

or instead of wasting time building a square frame and ect, just buy a martha closet...

i dont know if this idea would work or not, just an idea....

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: picture [Re: Opera]
    #3282923 - 10/27/04 03:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That is close to what I did, but I made a flap on 1 side with Velcro overlapping and cut holes in the plastic then glued gloves to it. I also glued a Plexiglas floor to it. Will upload pictures when it is done. The plastic sheets I used was the same ones you would use for a casing room and I'm not happy with the visibility of it. Going to either add a light or Plexiglas window on the front.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale