Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
Feedback on this glovebox?
    #1465472 - 04/16/03 11:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

OK, so I found some pictures of this glovebox somewhere on the internet and I wanted to see what you folks thought of it.  The website had captions that went with these pictures, and I'll do my best to paraphrase them. 

First we have a top view of the glove box.  It is a standard rubbermaid container with a cut-out in the lid and a plexiglass window mounted and sealed with siliconized acrylic window/door sealant.

Next we see the front of the glovebox where the arms go in.  The duct tape looks like a shady seal, but this is not really the seal...

...the real seal is on the inside.  Aquarium tubing is cut and fitted around the cut holes and sealed with sealant.  Here we also see the 12V computer fan, mounted to blow in.

Now an outside view of the fan.  A plastic top from a juice container is cut and fitted around the fan opening, sealed again with the siliconized acrylic.  Notice the electric cord is super short, as the shitty AC adapter was in sorry shape but it works.

Finally a close up of the fan.  The idea here is to mount and tape a dust mask over the adapted intake hole, which can be sprayed with lysol to kill any incoming contams.

Now here's the question.  I read somewhere that the maker of this box should lose the attached green rubber gloves and simply have open arm holes with latex gloves on.  The idea being that positive pressure would keep contams from entering these holes.  Is this a good idea?  The website also said that this fan as it is set up currently blows so hard that air actually comes back out the intake hole when the lid is on.  So - keep the sealed gloves or lose em?  Whaddya think?  :grin: 

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYSJ
ThoughtShopper

Loc: Undisclosed at this time.
Re: Feedback on this glovebox? [Re: robinhood2]
    #1467245 - 04/17/03 02:37 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I suppose that active (pos. pressure) glovebox would (probably) work just fine...

For what it's worth, I simply made my own passive box out of a spare 10g fishtank & a few parts I scrounged up around here. I keep planning to make a nicer looking, larger & better active glove box, but, to be quite honest, have had no problems at all using this one to date, so never seem to get around to it.

Pics of that may be found here.

Yes, I know it looks totally ghetto, but a small bottle of lysol & the fact that it's REALLY airtight (whether it looks it or not) serves to make it work fine, and without having to worry that something *might* not be kept out by a surgical mask...

On that note, I'd strongly recommend using a particulate mask/breather rated at N-99/N-100 instead of just a cheapie mask. That, or a HEPA filter, at least.

~YSJ~

--------------------
"There are no angels unless they are Angels of Death...And I would never again doubt my place among them or lose my resolve to serve in their wild ranks."         
                                                            -T. Ligotti

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Feedback on this glovebox? [Re: YSJ]
    #1468151 - 04/17/03 07:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

lolz, I made a glovebox thats ghetto ghetto ghetto! Its a too-small styrofoam cooler, I cut rectangle holes in the sides and then i got these plumbing parts that go from a rectangle to a circle. stretched rubber gloves over the round part and stuck them in the side with no glue or anything to seal it (the only ventilation.) Then I lined the inside with a trashbag, forget why, and the staples I used to attach it pull out really easily. The lid has a big hold cut in it with a kitchen knife, clear plastic (not that shitty saran wrap, this is a dropcloth for painting!) stapled over it.

So basically I'd kill to have a box like yours.

OfflineYSJ
ThoughtShopper

Loc: Undisclosed at this time.
Re: Feedback on this glovebox? [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1469464 - 04/18/03 06:31 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lolz, I made a glovebox thats ghetto ghetto ghetto!

Ghetto Cubed, then?

;D

Quote:

So basically I'd kill to have a box like yours. 

You can easily make one - no killing necessary (sad to say).  Here follows the listing of parts needed & approximate price list:

one 10 gallon glass aquarium                $10.00
two large tobacco tins (cardboard
containers the size of coffee cans):        ??? (junk pile)
one roll of duct tape:                            $3
one pair rubber gloves (pref.
neoprene or something like that):          $3
one tube of silicone sealant:                  $4
one piece of cardboard 12"x23"            ??? (junk pile)

Rough Total:                                    ~$20.00

I just scrounged up the tobacco tins & cut the bottoms out, glued & taped the gloves to those, cut a piece of cardboard from a box, trimmed it to fit (the dimensions you'll need are a bit less than I gave above, so that's allowing the trimming to fit part), then measure & cut the round sections to slide the cans/cylinders through w/the gloves.

I actually used hot melt glue, IIRC, and then coated it over w/silicone sealant, then taped over that.  I used Duck brand Duct tape because I inadvertently discovered the adhesive mix they use is mostly impervious to dilute bleach solutions & ETOH/lysol sprays....This might be true of all duct tape brands, but I haven't bothered conducting tests or anything :wink:

Oh - another thing:  the piece of cardboard I used is double-corrugated (like, it was the side of one of those boxes you use to pack dishes & shit in when you move - thicker, holds more w/o giving way).  If you use thinner cardboard, I'd probably recommend you double it up, and glue/tape it together pretty well.

If you trim the cardboard precisely to fit into the notched top of the tank, you'll find that a single wrapping of duct tape around it will form a *very* snug, airtight seal.

Total time from start to finish of that project (not counting time for sealant to dry):  about an hour.

While it works fine, the only thing I wish I'd done differently was lower the armholes about 1".  For a 10g tank, that'd make the outer edge of each armhole's circumference circa 3" from either side, and circa 2" from the bottom, IIRC.

HTH,

~YSJ~

--------------------
"There are no angels unless they are Angels of Death...And I would never again doubt my place among them or lose my resolve to serve in their wild ranks."         
                                                            -T. Ligotti

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: Feedback on this glovebox? [Re: YSJ]
    #1469510 - 04/18/03 07:41 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ghetto Cubed, then?

;D

LOL!  :smile:

Looks fine to me. Even if it isn't ebola virus proof, its better than nothing.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
Re: Feedback on this glovebox? [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1470171 - 04/18/03 01:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The problem I found with a non-positive pressure glovebox (in theory of course, I wouldn't know about in practice :wink: ) is this:  At some point you are having to open the glove box to add your jars, syringes, alcohol, etc.  Then you have to spray lysol or something inside as you close it, to kill stuff in all the air that you let in putting your supplies in the box.  So now you have lysol all over your jar lids and materials inside the box.  To me it seems like just as much of a risk getting lysol in your jars as it is to get contams.  Lysol is evil nasty shit that kills everything, even humans.  At least with the positive pressure you can let things flow for a bit and air out before you proceed, no? 

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation