Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Rye Vs Birdseed
    #3522447 -

Just wondering between rye and birdseed. Which one tends to lead to larger yeilds. I believe that rye infects easier then birdseed.
Anyone?


--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.


My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rye Vs Birdseed [Re: tahoe]
    #3522489 -

They both work great when properly saturated and sterilized. WBS allows for more surface area (faster colonization when shaken). For most, its a matter of $$

Edited by dmc_ (12/19/04 09:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rye Vs Birdseed [Re: dmc_]
    #3522784 -

Both works fine. If you're going with WBS, you should consider trying 100% white millet instead since WBS is mostly millet .

But honnestly, I prefer rye to any other type of grain. I'm having a hard time cooking WBS and millet and get the good water saturation. For some reason, I always fuck up with these grains.

I then tried rye and was really amazed by the results. In my opinion, much easier to prepare and colonization speed is the fastest i've seen so far. For a long time, I thought popcorn had the fastest colonization rate but rye seems better. Faster germination and growth. That's a personal observation, some other people might say other things.

Oh, and rye is much cheaper than WBS, millet and popcorn,at least, where I live.

Just give it a try and see what you like.

But remember that rye is a grain of choice for mushroom cultivation since at least 20 years! Can't be bad..

.fs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rye Vs Birdseed [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #3523011 -

I myself like rye as well. When I prepare my straight millet, it tends to clump up more into a cake after it is colonized making it hard to shake. Rye on the other hand stays loose and seems to me holds more water when simmered. I go rye, 4 stars.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rye Vs Birdseed [Re: Tweexican]
    #3523053 -

Rye does hold more water almost twice as much. More water = more shrooms.  :thumbup:


--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?


:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rye Vs Birdseed [Re: tahoe]
    #3523075 -

WBS from Petco............. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

40 lb bag =$8

You can always SPLIT the differing opt's & go 50/50 Rye & wbs. :wink:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rye Vs Birdseed [Re: agar]
    #3523356 -

Just my opinion: Finch seed 70% - flax seed 5% - and wet vermiculite 25% by volume will produce a more potent 1st and second flush. Rye will produce larger shrooms and less problems with contamination, however I always found that it doesn't produce as potent a shroom until it's 3ed flush. So bigger is not necessarily better. Try both and see which 1st flush is the more desirable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Rye Vs Birdseed [Re: cardinalgreen]
    #3523934 -

cardinalgreen said:
Just my opinion: Finch seed 70% - flax seed 5% - and wet vermiculite 25% by volume will produce a more potent 1st and second flush. Rye will produce larger shrooms and less problems with contamination, however I always found that it doesn't produce as potent a shroom until it's 3ed flush. So bigger is not necessarily better. Try both and see which 1st flush is the more desirable.



I'd like to add a warning on that... I'm not saying you are wrong, but as far as i'm concerned, it was never proven that rye gives less potency. The whole substrate potency debate never ends, unless some new discoveries were recently made that i'm not aware of.

Personnaly, I tried many strains grown on many different substrate including BRF, popcon, rye and straw and i'm still having a hard time figuring which one is more potent. I had some crazy experience with BRF grown cubes and some disappointing results on straw grown cubes. It varies from time to time.

So myself, I wouldn't chose a substrate based on potency capabilities.

peace..

.fs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Popcorn vs. Rye grain. Experence W/popcorn feedback.
( 1 2 3 4 all )
splifferd 18,706 60 11/08/09 05:26 PM
by eatyualive
* Question for pro growers using WBS/Grain/Popcorn/CC SHR00MiN 2,194 4 08/14/04 09:45 AM
by scatmanrav
* The ease of rye grain. Anonymous 15,412 19 06/03/16 03:10 PM
by Disco Shiny
* new to rye, a few questions kilgore_trout 465 4 03/21/05 12:54 PM
by kilgore_trout
* whats with popcorn?? BeppoMarx 1,819 9 11/05/03 10:38 AM
by BeppoMarx
* Tricks of the Popcorn Trade
( 1 2 all )
bemmers1 4,745 33 01/25/05 12:22 AM
by scatmanrav
* Popcorn and red water? Lifenergy 1,257 9 11/15/04 08:07 PM
by djred
* Rye tek--popcorn instead? GnuBobo 1,225 2 07/18/04 12:12 AM
by OldSpice

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,169 topic views. 19 members, 89 guests and 112 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.