Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Rye tek--popcorn instead?
    #2900748 - 07/17/04 10:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I was wondering...I've used the rye tek on the first time through and it seems to work pretty well.  Things are colonizing, have cased 6 jars, put two outside (I'm pretty excited about this one; I used compost, layered it compost, a pint of substrate, compost, a pint of substrate, then compost and today the myc was just starting to peek out).  Anyway, I've seen the popcorn tek, and was just wondering why one would choose rye over popcorn?  Any special reason?  And if I were to try out popcorn, is any whole kernel kind okay or do you need organic?  Thanks!
:grin:

GB

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: Rye tek--popcorn instead? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2901303 - 07/18/04 01:32 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

First time I worked with grain it was with popcorn.  I was pretty satisfied.  Now i'm working with rye just because it's cheaper but i must say that i had better results with popcorn.

Whole kernel popcorn will be just fine.  Just make sure there's no salt or anything.  Let the popcorn soak for 24 hours,  then simmer for 30 minutes,  let drain for an hour (very important!!! make sure there's no droplets anymore) load your jars and PC at 15 psi for 75 minutes.

Colonization time is very fast with popcorn,  that why I love it.

What I hate about rye is that I always get a couple of exploded kernels at the bottom of my jars and myc is having a hardtime colonizing these and i'm always concerned by contams once it is cased or spawned.  I may find a better way to prepare my rye tho... 

Now, i'm simply loading my jars,  adding the water and pressure cook.  Hehe.. that might be my problem.

Don't hesitate to try popcorn if you want,  it's fun to work with and fruit really well once cased.  Also fine for spawning but less inoculation point since bigger kernels...

good luck.

:laugh:

.fs.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Rye tek--popcorn instead? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2901373 - 07/18/04 02:12 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

You can also cook popcorn in your pc for about 45 minutes,Rinse it good, Drain and load your jars for sterilizing.

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation