Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Computer Problems (Hard Drive Fault)
    #3508730 - 12/16/04 12:53 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I recently posted this in General Questions forum but i figure i will get a better respose here :crazy: 

Well anyways.. I recently bought a new hard drive off Ebay because my other one was really screwing up, I recive the hard drive, worked fine, then i installed windows xp, and now the harddrive switches off randomly for no apparent reason. Also it can take upto ten minutes for it to decide to boot up, other than that i'm left with a blank screen. Normally i would put it down to the hard drive but i dont know if theres more to it than that, because this is exacially the same problem i had with my last hard drive, Maybe i have a problem with my proccessor or motherboard? Maybe my RAM's screwed? any help would be much much appricated, now i think of it, it may well be my RAM.  :confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineheadset
Stranger
Re: Computer Problems (Hard Drive Fault) [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #3508777 - 12/16/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Im trying to figure it out right now = My computers done this for 2 years since the first time i plugged it into the wall. Windows XP had hackers hack into it and load a virus before the cd was ever burned and released - and it was only noticed after..

Type in svchost.exe in google and read all about it.

You can shut it down (its using somewhere around 20,000kb) by hitting ctrl alt del and then finding it in system processes.

The thing is - if you shut it down the virus will try and shut your system down - so before you shut it down go to Run - and type CMD, and leave the black screen up - and if it does try and shut youd own, type "Shutdown a-"

Im working on better info....

I think im just going to go back to windows 98.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #3508794 - 12/16/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

if it was happening before, consider getting some RAM, otherwise, chalk it up to either a faulty HD or WinXp

--------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Computer Problems (Hard Drive Fault) [Re: blink]
    #3508828 - 12/16/04 01:26 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

it may well be my RAM, its not your ram, to test ram please google memtest86 let it run for 2 to 4 hours and that will tell you if your ram is bad

Is the computer turning off or is the harddrive turning off? These are completely different issues. Also is there a message about the computer turning off or it just turns off? Or is it rebooting randomly?(random reboots could be ram motherboard or overheating of cpu)

Please describe in more detail whats up and I may be able to provide things to try to solve the issue.

On rereading your post, I would also advise going to the manufacturers websight of your HD, and downloading their diganostic utilities. Run it on the original drive, I will wager the original drive is good and either your processor is over heating(What type of processor do you have? Some are more prone to this than others) or Your motherboard is on its way out....

Edited by Ramlaen (12/16/04 01:28 PM)

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
    #3508970 - 12/16/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Im pretty sure its not the computer turning off, it doesent shut down or nothing, it just cuts out. I have a 1.6 AMD and an ASrock mother board. Im sure it isnt over heating, because it cuts out after just 5 minutes sometimes, but at the moment its been running fine for atleast an hour.

I will go to the manufacturers website and search google as u said.

Invisiblenewuser1492
    #3509051 - 12/16/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Might be a bad power supply. Sometimes when they're going bad they'll randomly reset.

There is no virus that comes preinstalled with XP. svchost can become infected with a virus like blaster but that is after installation and not something that comes from Micro$oft.

If you really want to check it out do a search for UBCD. It's the "Ultimate Boot CD" and allows you to run diagnostics on pretty much everything.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Computer Problems (Hard Drive Fault) [Re: newuser1492]
    #3512461 - 12/17/04 06:22 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

overheating can cause it to cut out, if its just the hard drive spinning down, then i would check the connction to the hd, IT SHOULD NEVER BE Y'ED off a fan or any other object within the case. Otherwise as cb suggested it could be a power supply

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder