Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Backing Up a HD- 2 HD's connected to One Computer
    #2272062 - 01/25/04 03:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i'm getting my HD in the mail tomorrow, and i dont wanna pay like 2 bucks a min for tech support to help me back up my HD, so i wanna know how i can connect the 2 HD's at onc eto the comp, and drag and drop the files i want to keep, I am using winXP.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Backing Up a HD- 2 HD's connected to One Computer [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #2272122 - 01/25/04 03:50 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Easy!

This DOES depend on how your computer is set up right now though...

There are two IDE chains in the computer, and each one can support 2 drives. Usually you'll find your HD on the first chain, and CDROM drive(s) on the second. If that isn't the case, these instructions are basically moot :smirk:

Your HD should come with a manual or something describing the jumper settings. You want to set your new HD to "slave" mode. The jumpers are usually on the back of the drive between the IDE connector and Power connector.

Now hook up your new HD on the same IDE cable as your old HD and turn on the computer. Your BIOS should be set to autodetect drives...so you shouldn't have to do anything else. Boot into windows and the new drive should be listed in your My Computer.

From there just copy all the files you want over to the new drive :smile:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Backing Up a HD- 2 HD's connected to One Computer [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #2272914 - 01/25/04 09:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

You can also put the new hd on the secondary channel and use a ghosting program. I think norton makes one that can fit on a floppy disk. This copies the entire hd to the second one. Just make sure you don't copy the wrong one, I've done this before and ended up with 2 blank drives.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Backing Up a HD- 2 HD's connected to One Computer [Re: TinMan]
    #2273883 - 01/26/04 05:11 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

> I think norton makes one that can fit on a floppy disk.

Norton Ghost. At least the 2003 version works with Windows XP...

> Just make sure you don't copy the wrong one, I've done this before and ended up with 2 blank drives.

This is a very easy mistake to make. I always try to set the write-protect jumper on the source hard drive when possible before ghosting. I am always using the floppy utility (boot from floppy), so there is no reason the source hard drive needs to be written to. Just remember to remove the jumper before you start up windows again.

Norton ghost also works "online" from within windows. You are required to drop down to the boot floppy if you don't want. You can actually write image files rather than going from device to device. Of course, you will want your image files somewhere offline that you can get to if you need them later.

Finally, there is a backup program in most versions of windows, though I personally think it is really bad. Start->run->cmd then type ntbackup.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale