Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Changing components, especially motherboard Q's.
    #2180163 - 12/15/03 06:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, so my PC can't be overclocked, plus it sux anyway.

So, when replacing a motherboard, are they all standard sizes, therefore have all the same screw holes to fit back in the old case?

And if I decide to go with a new case, will any motherboard fit in any case?

I have a maxtor 160GB HD, and a LG 48/24/48 cd burner and 16x dvd rom in this PC. I would like to add a dvd burner, new motherboard and P4 CPU wth hyperthreading, and 1 GB ram. Plus a good video card.

If I change motherboard/processor I guess I'm gonna have to buy a windows xp install cd too right? The old system restore cd probably wouldn't work anymore in case I needed to reinstall windows right?

Can anyone think of anything I am forgetting that I should consider getting? Any advice? I wan't to build a kick ass PC and utilize my existing HD and cd burner for this basically.

Thanks.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Changing components, especially motherboard Q's. [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2180317 - 12/15/03 07:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well here's the other sucky part about boards from hp and them. Sometimes they're not standard ATX sizes. If you get a new case though, it'll work fine with any ATX board. If you change the mobo and processor, and keep your hard drive, you won't need to buy a winxp cd to reinstall windows.

If you buy a new mobo and processor, you'll also have to get new RAM.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: Changing components, especially motherboard Q's. [Re: daussaulit]
    #2180405 - 12/15/03 07:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

But this isn't the original HD either though.

Now that I think about it, I'll have to get a new case anyway because this one has only one cd/dvd bay. :thumbdown:

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineOpenFriday
Re: Changing components, especially motherboard Q's. [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2183540 - 12/16/03 08:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

>So, when replacing a motherboard, are they all standard sizes, therefore have all the same screw holes to fit back in the old case?

No theyre not all standard sizes, OEM PC's such as HP generally use a smaller form facter mATX (Micro ATX) or some other absurdly small motherboard. A new case is always a good idea a standard ATX case will do you as it will accomodate ATX (What I consider standard form factor), mATX (generally I associate mATX with value motherboards) and older form factors also.

>And if I decide to go with a new case, will any motherboard fit in any case?

Buy an ATX case you can get an ATX or mATX motherboard which would be about 95% of the motherboards for sale right now. Make sure you get one thats P4 ready (pretty much all cases sold today) as you want a P4 and the motherboard requires an extra cable from the powersupply.

>If I change motherboard/processor I guess I'm gonna have to buy a windows xp install cd too right? The old system restore cd probably wouldn't work anymore in case I needed to reinstall windows right?

Restore CD's are gay, period. Unless youve got the original harddrive in the computer the restore cds will be useless too you with a new HDD. Your going to need to a copy of some O/S, Win98 can be had for free and will fulfill most basic tasks but if you want XP gotta fork over some skrilla to MicroSoft, i hate it too.

>Can anyone think of anything I am forgetting that I should consider getting? Any advice? I wan't to build a kick ass PC and utilize my existing HD and cd burner for this basically.

Get the processor thats in the best price/preformance range, dont get the best (fastest) just because, it'll cost you an arm and a leg, also I'd advise against lowballing it i.e getting the cheapest processor because usually for a few dollars more you can get a few hundred MHZ. Im familiar with AMD and know that holds true with them (Plus you can unlock the AMD multiplyer fairly easily thus allowing some awesome overclocking), Intel is another story I dont follow their pricing structure.

In fact I personally go with whatevers in the best price/preformance category for pretty much all my hardware, except motherboard, motherboard I select depending on the type of computer im building (Value, Preformance ect)

Good luck.

-OF

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Changing components, especially motherboard Q's. [Re: OpenFriday]
    #2183898 - 12/16/03 10:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I forgot, XP does have that activation thingy. Good thing about being a college student, free MS software from the school. The windows xp pro the school distrubutes doesn't have any activation crap to deal with.

Also, you should probably wait until after the holidays. right now is the peak season and things will be cheaper. Plus that'll give you some time before PCI-X comes out.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Changing components, especially motherboard Q's. [Re: daussaulit]
    #2184735 - 12/17/03 08:45 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

> free MS software from the school.

If you think that software is free, then you are dreaming.  :smile:  They gotta spend your tuition money on something...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Changing components, especially motherboard Q's. [Re: Seuss]
    #2184749 - 12/17/03 09:09 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

hrmm, makes you wonder if you could install linux and demand some tuition reimbursement...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology