Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNugDumper
Member of theThird Eye Club

Dual Channel Motherboard???
    #2926642 - 07/25/04 07:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Can anyone tell me a decent dual channel motherboard I might be able to use with an AMD 64 3000 processor?

--------------------
All that I need is the air that I breathe... and all that I need are things I don't need... and all that really matters is what matters to me me me... -Shannon Hoon

Racism is schism on a serious tip! -Bradley Nowell

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Dual Channel Motherboard??? [Re: NugDumper]
    #2927233 - 07/25/04 11:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

AMD 64's use hypertransport, which I know nothing about. Get an Intel for dual channel.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2927786 - 07/26/04 03:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

dual channel memory shit that he is referring to has nothing to do with proc. nvidia nforce chipsets use it.

check anandtech and tomshardware.com for info on it.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Dual Channel Motherboard??? [Re: Barbi]
    #2927814 - 07/26/04 04:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

nforce isnt the only one to use it, I do not have nforce and I have dual channel memory.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2927996 - 07/26/04 08:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Apple powermac g5 uses hypertransport as well.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Dual Channel Motherboard??? [Re: Seuss]
    #2928380 - 07/26/04 01:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

its also an apple

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Dual Channel Motherboard??? [Re: Redo]
    #2928593 - 07/26/04 02:36 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry, I was not aware intel or any other chipset supported dualDDR, which is not the same thing as DDR memory.

Basically for those who dont know, its using 2 memory controllers, one stick of RAM per chip (so 2 sticks required) where it runs them both independantly for higher bandwidth.

DualDDR Memory Architecture

With the increasing use of digital consumer electronic devices, PC digital media authoring applications and high bandwidth connections, the traditional PC architecture is easily strained by users' expectations for interactivity. PC users want to capture, edit, publish and share their media. They want to multitask, and consume media while interacting with other applications. PCs are getting smaller, yet owners demand more performance, particularly from the graphics subsystem. Ultimately, there is no PC subsystem more visibly affected by an under performing memory design.
PC users want to simultaneously interact with multiple large media files, requiring more memory, more system bandwidth and lower access latencies so that each application can get what it needs without having to wait.

Now, NVIDIA is able to deliver the highest overall system performance for both integrated graphics systems and systems with graphics add-in cards. The NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM)2 DualDDR memory architecture optimizes system performance by increasing bandwidth and reducing memory latency.

Features of DualDDR memory architecture include:

Highest memory bandwidth: DualDDR combines the power of DDR400 with two independent memory controllers, which yields a staggering 6.4GB per second of memory bandwidth?twice the memory bandwidth of other DDR400 chipsets. Increased memory bandwidth delivers better system and graphics performance, resulting in more overall productivity.
Lowest latency: Both memory controllers operate concurrently with each other to hide latencies associated with typical chipsets. For example, controller "A" reads or writes to main memory while controller "B" prepares for the next access, and vice versa. As important is the second-generation DASP (dynamic adaptive speculative preprocessor), which has been re-architected for improved performance.
Most stable and flexible memory system: End-users can now populate higher density DIMMs, up to 1GB each, to utilize the entire 3GB memory address map. This large memory map allows more applications, audio and video streams to coexist without conflict.
The NVIDIA nForce2 DualDDR memory architecture provides a no-compromise PC graphics memory solution, allowing everyone to take advantage of today's most intensive applications and get the most performance out of existing memory. Not only can you run multiple applications simultaneously, you can do so without fear that the system will come to a screeching halt. DualDDR raises the bandwidth bar, delivering a 100% increase over current competitive products, and provides the power and performance PCs need to run at their fullest capabilities.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2928617 - 07/26/04 02:44 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

> Sorry, I was not aware intel or any other chipset supported dualDDR, which is not the same thing as DDR memory.

From the Apple desktop certification course:
Quote:

Controller chips such as the northbridge and southbridge, utilizing "hyper-transport" technology - This new technology allows chips to talk to each other much faster than older Macs. Also the overall bandwidth of the system is greatly improved.

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2928650 - 07/26/04 02:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Still not the same thing that nforce chipsets have. ( I dont think )

More About The nForce - 128 Bit Memory Bus

One of the main characteristics setting the nForce chipset apart from the VIA KT266A is its dual-channel DDR SDRAM interface. This means that two 64-bit DIMM modules are merged to create a 128-bit wide memory bus.

But there are a few snags: The Nvidia chipset will only reach peak performance with two identical RAM modules. If, however, a third RAM module is added to the fray, the dual-channel mode, with its 128 bits of bandwidth, is automatically deactivated. That fact alone makes upgrading RAM tricky at best, pumping up the price as well.

What's more, there's no way to determine which mode the board is running. Asus is planning to address the problem by integrating a special display feature in future BIOS versions.

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2929985 - 07/26/04 10:04 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you still dont need a nforce, as I do not have one and I am running at dual channel ddr.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2931567 - 07/27/04 07:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

But there are a few snags: The Nvidia chipset will only reach peak performance with two identical RAM modules. If, however, a third RAM module is added to the fray, the dual-channel mode, with its 128 bits of bandwidth, is automatically deactivated.

I will do more research on this... on the Apple G5, memory has to be added in pairs of two, you can't have an odd number of RAM sticks, which would match up with what you are saying.

--------------------

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2931748 - 07/27/04 10:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Redo said:
you still dont need a nforce, as I do not have one and I am running at dual channel ddr.

what motherboard brand and model are you running.

I have yet to see another chipset support this feature other then nvidia's.

I noticed a lot of people confused dual channel DDR memory, with dual memory architechure found in bonding memory sticks on the nvidia chipset.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2931752 - 07/27/04 10:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Quote:

But there are a few snags: The Nvidia chipset will only reach peak performance with two identical RAM modules. If, however, a third RAM module is added to the fray, the dual-channel mode, with its 128 bits of bandwidth, is automatically deactivated.

I will do more research on this... on the Apple G5, memory has to be added in pairs of two, you can't have an odd number of RAM sticks, which would match up with what you are saying.

If thats the case, they probably do use it in a similar fashion as thats how it was done back in the day with 30pin and 72 pin simms.  I also wouldnt put it past nvidia to steal/rehash old ideas to change current trends, as thats all the PC market does over and ovr anyways.. 

one year its parallel technology, next its serial.. bounce bounce bounce..

:laugh:

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2932023 - 07/27/04 12:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Nvidia calls DualDDR to its dual channel memory architecture. There are also P4 motherboards with this feature, here, http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=1851&p=5

About the Nforce and DualDDR,
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=1654&p=3
I have a ASUS A7N8X with Nforce2 Ultra btw. Nice piece of hardware!
I would choose something with Nforce3 to go with AMD64 ...

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #2932226 - 07/27/04 01:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

> I will do more research on this...

Apple is one of the founding members of the HyperTransport consortium of companies backing the standard, which includes Advanced Micro Devices, Cisco Systems and Sun Microsystems.

HyperTransport 1.0 features an aggregate data transfer rate of 6.4 gigabytes to 12.8 gigabytes, depending on the configuration. HyperTransport Release 2.0 boosts the top speed to 2.8 GigaTransfers/second, yielding a 22.4 Gigabyte/second aggregate bandwidth. In addition, HyperTransport Release 2.0 adds to the existing PCI and PCI-X mapping to include a mapping to PCI Express. (Apple G5 supports PCI-X, and 8X AGP... the Mac G5 is also a 64-bit CPU)

http://www.hypertransport.org/technology.html
http://www.hypertransport.org/faqs.html
http://www.apple.com/powermac/architecture.html

About the powermac G5:

Designed to harness the power of the PowerPC G5 processor, a 1.25GHz, 64-bit bidirectional Double Data Rate (DDR) frontside bus maximizes throughput between the processor and the system controller.

The PowerPC G5 features two high-speed unidirectional 32-bit data paths ? one flowing continuously into the processor and one flowing from the processor.

What?s more, the data streams integrate clock signals along with the data, allowing the frontside bus to work at speeds of up to 1.25GHz for an astonishing 10GB per second of aggregate bandwidth.

Each G5 processor has its own dedicated bidirectional interface to the system controller. That?s a mind-boggling 20GB per second of total bandwidth on dual 2.5GHz systems ? more than twice the 6.4GBps maximum bandwidth of Pentium 4-based systems using the latest PC architecture.

The 66MHz AGP 8X Pro bus strobes eight times per clock cycle, resulting in a 533MHz data rate and blistering bandwidth of 2.1GB per second.

The Power Mac G5 memory controller supports fast 400MHz, 128-bit DDR SDRAM, and enables main memory to address two banks of SDRAM at a time, reading and writing on both the rising and falling edge of each clock cycle. This effectively doubles the bandwidth, enabling the Power Mac G5 to reach a maximum memory throughput of up to 6.4GB per second

Thanks to the 64-bit PowerPC G5 processor, the Power Mac G5 can address more memory than most other desktop PCs. The dual 2.0GHz and dual 2.5GHz systems have eight DIMM slots, and can hold up to 8GB of memory.

The Power Mac G5 features PCI-X, which increases the PCI bus speed from 33MHz to 133MHz, and the throughput from 266 MBps to a combined total of 2GBps.

Serial ATA, Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire, USB 2.0 and optical digital and analog audio are all integrated through two bidirectional 800MHz HyperTransport interconnects for a maximum throughput of 1.6GB per second.

--------------------

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
    #2935466 - 07/28/04 05:21 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

dude any hardcore gamer knows if you want a good gaming pc amd's and especially the 64's out preform intel and always have. plus they cost way less. when you buy intel you just but a name like nike not preformace. intels do way less in a clock cycle than a amd

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Dual Channel Motherboard??? [Re: AhronZombi]
    #2938470 - 07/29/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

AMD's $200-$300 range vs intels isnt even comparable, intel blows that area out of the water. And you still get HT. 64-bit really hasnt done anything for many people yet either.

AMD used to be the way to go, but as of now on a regular budget, intel is the way to go.

Also, I have the Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro-G (865PE), which is a great mboard, no stock system temp thermometer however.

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
    #2938855 - 07/29/04 01:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

a intel vs. a 64 bit processor clearly the 64 bit on is going to work better and cost more. you can compare 32 to 64. once 64 bit is standard having a current generation intel will be like haveing a 386

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #2938867 - 07/29/04 01:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The Athlon 64 754 pin doesn't support Dual channel. It has an onboard memory controller which makes up for it and kicks the intels ass in gaming benchmarks.

If you want dual channel and 64-bit you'll have to go for the socket 939 which are a bit more expensive right now.

Offlinealpiner
goober

Loc: USA
    #2938868 - 07/29/04 01:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

for the average user a P4 on a budget is the way to go though my machine of choice would be a dual G5 mainly because I can have a bash terminal open AND do my thing with photoshop at the same time without running two OSs at the same time

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Science and Technology