Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDubiousDuo
Enigmatic Catalyst
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Substrate Discovery ! ! !
    #3501901 - 12/15/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Hello fellow shroomerites,
Well my Foaf just recently sent me some pics, as well as an interpretation. All of the following jars were prepared by a soaking of 12 hours and a rinsing, repeated three times, total of 36 hours soaking, then rinal rinse and loaded and PCed for 90 min at 15 PSI, starting when the gauge starts dancing. Her discovery was that Spelt, rather than Rye, mixed with a little Hulled Millet was the best substrate as far as robust and fast colonization is concerned. She had accidentally bought hulled Spelt, rather than Rye, from her local organic foods grocer. So she decided to experiment, here are some pics of the results presented in the above text.

Here is a Millet only jar, the pic is somewhat decieving, majority of the kernels are crisp and the moisture is off, recommend a mixture.

Here is a pic of a Spelt and Millet mixture

And a Rye and Millet Mixture

Versus the same inoculation date with Rye only

As well as with Spelt only

Conclusion: a mixture with about 80 percent Spelt, and 20 percent Millet is optimum. If Spelt is not available then a mixture of Rye and Millet would still be far more proficient than Rye alone.

Any further experiments would be much appreciated by the community im sure, or any previous experiences.

Thanks and God Bless. :grin:

--------------------
It is easier to wear slippers,
Than to carpet the world

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate Discovery ! ! ! [Re: DubiousDuo]
    #3501943 - 12/15/04 01:46 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

This says nothing of fruiting. All grains arent created equal and some will fruit better then others. Make sure you fruit them all before drawing conclusions.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineDubiousDuo
Enigmatic Catalyst
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Discovery ! ! ! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3503084 - 12/15/04 10:57 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

scat, good point, i just wanted to post colonization results. I just figure the myc must like a little variety, variety is the spice of life. but thanks and i will have to see and post on end results.

--------------------
Than to carpet the world

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
    #3503120 - 12/15/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

What is spelt? I have had great results with millet, I'm sure you will have some nice fruits.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3503139 - 12/15/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Groats mixed with millet is sweet , try that out . Hell groats alone colonize like wildfire , Mals love it so far , need to try some other strains to draw final conclusions .
Good Luck

PS mushies in general love 99% of all grains , but as mentioned above , some have better nute levels that others , especially over long term colonization , hulled(edit... with husk still on ) grain is best IMHO . More time delay release of nutes that way .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (12/15/04 11:37 AM)

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Substrate Discovery ! ! ! [Re: tripndicular]
    #3503151 - 12/15/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I was told if you use millet to get non-hulled/ whole

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Substrate Discovery ! ! ! [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3503254 - 12/15/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Gagging on foot ..........cough .......cough .
I meant with husk or outer shell still on it .
Sorry folks , just blabbering on today !
Sometimes I speak without thinking  :crazy2:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinedmc_

Loc: Portland, OR
    #3503264 - 12/15/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

nice little experiment dubious.

:thumbup:

OfflineDubiousDuo
Enigmatic Catalyst
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Discovery ! ! ! [Re: dmc_]
    #3506281 - 12/15/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

thanks dmc,

by the way, the millet used has no hull. millet alone seemed to dry out and clump during PC, while the mixtures kept well hydrated. hoping to spawn and will post on fruiting. Is it fair to assume that robust colonization will yield to better robust fruits, or is that to far?

and spelt was in the container next to Rye, my friend just thought it was rye as she filled a bag, only later did she realize. LOL

--------------------
Than to carpet the world

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #3506530 - 12/15/04 09:47 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Afoaf just did this exact same thing. Spelt and rye berries look alot alike. Now there is a big bag of this stuff that was assumed to be a waste. Keep us updated!

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Substrate Discovery ! ! ! [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3506541 - 12/15/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Is it fair to assume that robust colonization will yield to better robust fruits, or is that to far?

I wouldn't assume so. After all IME straw colonizes way quicker than WBS by volume but the WBS has more nuts in it I'm pretty sure.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineDubiousDuo
Enigmatic Catalyst
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Discovery ! ! ! [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3506612 - 12/15/04 10:05 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

From what I have seen, straw produces amazingly huge and beautiful fruits, when used right and cased correctly. I guess question is more nutes necessarily better, or just the right nutes? we shall see. :P

--------------------
Than to carpet the world

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains