Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
EQ's preferred substrate?
    #585467 - 03/21/02 06:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have a number of jars, all with different mixtures, and eq's among each mixture. None of them are doing well in comparison to other strains with same substrate, same innoculate date, same pc batch, etc....
The first time I grew them, I used standard brf cakes, and I don't remember them taking nearly as long to colonize. Anyone with eq experience have an idea what they love most?

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
Re: EQ's preferred substrate? [Re: babyshroom]
    #585474 - 03/21/02 06:19 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I think your problem with the time of colonization may be because of the mixture itself. If you stick with teks you'll be following other people's successful attempts. But if you mix batches of different teks together, youll most likely risk failure because of things like unequal nutrients or moisture level imbalance. Hope this is some help to you.

--------------------
"Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

"Never underestimate the power of denial." -from American Beauty.

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
Re: EQ's preferred substrate? [Re: mrdasani]
    #585516 - 03/21/02 07:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Grab some DARK rye flour next time you go to the market. Ecuadorians love it........colonize much faster than BRF . I`ve had 1/2 pints reach 100% colonization in 7 days.I crumble them and case with 50/50 verm/peat and some oyster shell to neutralize the ph. Nice size fruits and nice flushes. Kick ass high too :smile:

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Invisibleblack_dove
journeyman
Re: EQ's preferred substrate? [Re: Numba9]
    #585523 - 03/21/02 07:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

they are like any other strain. rye, brf/vermic., rice, millet, wheat, birdseed, or any combination of them. Just get the consistancy right for the particular innocualation tek you will use. A liquid innoculation requires a drier base substrate. perhaps you used less spores, or weaker ones?

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: EQ's preferred substrate? [Re: black_dove]
    #585634 - 03/21/02 09:25 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I made my own syringes from prints I took last fall. They kicked ass for me back then, but I was using brf only. I did pick up some dark rye flour (well, I have to make the flour myself) and I think I remember Ralph saying something about a strain that loved dark rye. Wonder if it was eq?
I love their high, so I'll probably test my dark rye on some more eq this weekend.
And yes, some of my problems could certainly be from trying numerous types of substrate mixes at the same time. That's what happens when you go to the health food store with a credit card.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Oyster Shell, Peat, pH Test Strips, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation