Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
Has Anyone Tried using Spelt As Substrate???
    #4008497 - 04/03/05 02:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Been havin trouble finding rye. Health food stores are always out....I wonder Why?!?! But most time there is always "Spelt" I did some searches and was wondering if anyone had any info on how well this worked out with cakes or casings. Here is some info I pasted from a site....

Spelt flour can be described as a relative of modern wheat whose birth can be traced to the year 5000BC. It is increasingly being used as a viable alternative to wheat flour in ranges of cereals, pastas, crackers and of course bread, and is particularly important for people facing wheat allergies.

When compared to modern day wheat, Spelt, sometimes referred to as an Ancient Grain, has virtually remained untouched from present day technology. Currently, modern flours are bred to maximise crop yields and with high gluten content to accommodate the high volume of commercial baked goods that we currently enjoy. This typically involves the use of pesticides and the removal of the husk during harvesting.

In contrast, Spelt retains its husk right up until it is ready for milling, which ensures that maximum nutrients are retained and ensures ongoing freshness. Perhaps more importantly, the husk protects the Spelt kernel from insects and pollutants and hence normally requires no chemical or pesticide treatment.

When compared to wheat flour Spelt contains more B1 and B2 vitamins, more iron, manganese, copper and zinc and has high water solubility thus ensuring these nutrients are absorbed quickly by the body.

Spelt is also rich in amino acids (protein content is 10-25% more than wheat) and is high in essential fatty acids that cannot be synthesised by the body. The total fat content of spelt is less than 2% and Spelt is also high in complex carbohydrates and fibre.

Products made with Spelt are usually described as having a nutty, slightly sweet flavour and are lighter than heavier whole grain baked goods.

Anyone??

--------------------
All above posts are purely fictional and for amusement purposes only... Have A Nice Day! :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFirewolf1327
Mycelial Ninja
Re: Has Anyone Tried using Spelt As Substrate??? [Re: juspassinthru]
    #4008509 - 04/03/05 02:59 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I haven't even heard of it, but the description provided seems congruent with that of Brown Rice. It retains it's color because it hasn't been husked, thereby retaining all of those tasty fatty acids. I'm about to give some quinoa grain a shot, hoping that the yield would be more potent... Give it a shot..The worst thing that could happen is nothing!

Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
Re: Has Anyone Tried using Spelt As Substrate??? [Re: Firewolf1327]
    #4008567 - 04/03/05 03:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Foaf just finished pc'ing 4 1/2 pt jars and plans to inoc tonight or tomorrow most likely tomorrow.

soaked for 24 hrs or so pc'd 45 min. grain next to ruler is right out of bag dry. when soaked water level was approx 1/4" above grain and it absorbed almost 100% of the water in the bowl pushing the lid open. some of the grains started to burst open so no further water was added.

--------------------
All above posts are purely fictional and for amusement purposes only... Have A Nice Day! :wink:

OfflineFirewolf1327
Mycelial Ninja
    #4008592 - 04/03/05 03:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Looks good, I hope your friend has fun

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4008602 - 04/03/05 03:27 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Looks pretty much exactly like rye..It will probably perform pretty well. Those are a bit dry for my tastes...but I'm used to looking at rye (which normally swells to about 3 times it size when fully hydrated). Whatever you use to fruit off of, it should have around 70% water content. It will probably still work though, most like their grains drier then me anyway..

I'd case it. If you can, mix half and half with moist (field capacity) sterile verm when you case it (after its fully colonized), then case with coir/verm or peat/verm...That would solve any lack of water problems there may be. Or you could just spawn it to some poo/straw if your feeling ambitious.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
Re: Has Anyone Tried using Spelt As Substrate??? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4008630 - 04/03/05 03:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info Scat.. :thumbup: Havent tried peat but just picked up a few small bags of verm the other day. Guess peat is next on the list. Should the peat/verm be 50/50?  not up to poo yet but do have access to stables. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4008645 - 04/03/05 03:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yes it should be 50/50...check the FAQ's in casing for info on buffering, you'll need to buffer the peat with a long term buffer such as Calcium Carbonate, POWDERED (not crushed) oyster shells, eggshells, or limestone...and a short term buffer (hydrated lime).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
    #4008711 - 04/03/05 04:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Will do... One other thing on my mind.. what about mixing substrate after colonized... for ex. innoc popcorn in one jar and say rye in another and if timing is correct mix both substrates in casing... would this make a difference being that htere is a broader amount of nutes for the fungus.... kinda like adding potatoes to meat.. Just a thought and am sure not the first to think of this :confused: :thumbup: :confused: :thumbdown:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4008891 - 04/03/05 05:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It would work, or you could just mix the grains together before you knock them up. But with popcorn...not so many nutes..WBS and rye is a better mix IMO..

--------------------

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #4008908 - 04/03/05 05:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah scat, wbs and rye is the shit !

--->

peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation