Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Pasturizing compacted straw
    #3454563 - 12/06/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

In a tub with water.

Last time I got a huge bail of straw and made a mess of my apartment and the hallways leading to my apartment. I chopped up enough to make some big casings (like a 1/4 or less of the bail) and tossed the rest because it was a pain to hide as well (stealth for any friends who visit us..no one sees anything). This time I went to walmart and picked up two small bails (largest they had) which was more expensive but not only comes shrinkwrapped and are easy to store but are all cut up and much more golden then the other stuff from the feed store.

Anyways my question was can these bails that are wrapped up be pastrized like this? I compacted the stuff in clothing bags and kept it in warm water (Shooting for 175 with educated guessing) for 1.5 hours last time and it worked out even though I had no themometer and guessed. This time I have a themometer for help but I'm not sure if I should leave them machine compacted as they are. If I could that would be great since two fits perfectly in a tub. Yeah I guess thats enough rambling for my simple question.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Pasturizing compacted straw [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3454786 - 12/06/04 03:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

go back to where you got your bail... ask if its ok for you to pick up the straw that ahs fallen of around the bails.... they will let you since your cleaning up kinda heh... just take a bag or 3....

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3454844 - 12/06/04 03:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It would take a lot longer for a machine compacted mini-bale to hot water pasturize, than loose straw - since it is compacted. Just like it takes longer to cook a 28 pound turkey, than a 10 pound turkey.

How are you going to spawn a compacted - mini-bale & with what. Since it is in a compacted mini-bale form :confused:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pasturizing compacted straw [Re: dobinky]
    #3454850 - 12/06/04 03:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thats an interesting idea..if I find a feed store closer I may think to ask that..I really dont mind so much although this small bail is 7 bucks and the big one that was the same price was about 10-12 times the size..this small 7 dollar bail is easily manageable and nice straw..and it will do two nice casings that should yield me 6-8 ounces each..well worth 7 bucks IMO. Course free small bags might not be so bad either..its just the only farm store I've found near me is an hour away..pain in the arse and not worth my time or gas if I'm getting the small amounts at a time I need to make it manageable.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3454868 - 12/06/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Oh no, I'd break it up to spawn it..I just want to leave it in the bail form now to pasturize it. Then I can just pick it up..plop the bail in the tub its gonna be used it..cut open the cables..throw in some spawn and mix around. It may seem like a silly question because it wouldnt save "that" much time..but I'm looking for a way to do straw without the mess and the notice..I do plan on doing many many of these mini bales though if it can be done easy enough to make it worth it..last time I worked with straw it barly was because I feel I couldve spent the time better just casing my rye like normal. I did everything very sloppy though so I figure if I can tighten up my procedures and get them as systematic as rye for me then straw could work out..

They arent like incredibly compacted..I guess it could have even been done by hand I dont think so though because of the perfect shape..just makes more since. I will say, its not more compacted then the large bail that I got if that gives you any idea? I figured it might not let water in so easily but I'm not sure how well the warm water will penetrate the straw thats mildly compressed.

--------------------

OfflineSilven
I trip,therefore weare.

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3454990 - 12/06/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm guessing it's compressed just like the bails I get, just a typical compressing and it breaks apart into nice little squares of straw...

Anyway, why wouldn't it pasteurize that way?  It shouldn't be hard for water to get to the inside straw since it soaks water up so quick.. maybe the inside of it would hold heat even better so you won't have to continuously keep dumping hot water in your pasteurizing tub or whatever you're monitoring heat with...  just a thought.

Try one square compressed and then do another not compressed to see if one will work. :thumbup:

--------------------
Born: 10/31/83, which makes me a Scorpio.

1) Scorpios are the most highly sexed of all the signs of the zodiac.
2) Scorpios are prone to excesses: booze, drugs, sex, bad puns, etc.
They usually exploit the weaknesses of others, who fall victim to
their capacity for total lust & sexual abberation.
3) Scorpios possess great intellectual curiosity & creative talent. They
think they are rebels & are arrogant, proud, conceited, and worth every
penny of it.

What do you bring to the table?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation