Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekrustydoll
Stranger
Using Oven to Pasturize Poo/Straw
    #1321447 - 02/20/03 08:34 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

What do I have to do to pasturize a bunch of poo/straw in the oven? If I got a bunch of oven bags and sealed them tight, would it lock in all of the moisture? I am probably just going to use a cable tie to seal the bags when putting them in the oven, but I don't want them to dry out. I just want to verify that everything should be okay with this @ 170 for 45-60 minutes. Please reply to this post and let me know the best method for oven pasturization of poo and straw... will this stink? Also, I have read some bad things about these oven bags. Where do I get "spawn bags" from and would they hold up in the oven? Thanks!

Edited by krustydoll (02/20/03 09:09 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using Oven to Pasturize Poo/Straw [Re: krustydoll]
    #1321601 - 02/20/03 09:41 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

well i've never pasteurised before, but i just did my first load (straw only) and found it easier than i'd expected using the hob alone.

170F is only about 80C, so the point is to keep it below the boil, and submerged. i had to keep the flame only just alive, and used a candy thermometer that i bought for about ?2. took out the pillowcase of straw and suspended it above the sink, with a pointed corner rather than a flat edge as the bottom-most point. it dripped slowly for about 4 hours, then stopped. result: pasteurised, cooled, hydrated straw :laugh:

then i got my opaque tub, put a layer of straw, a layer of colonised grains, straw, grains, straw, grains etc etc until it was full. i kept packing it down with all my bodyweight, so about 8 layers of each in a total of 4inches depth. foil on top, fork holes, weight to compress and left in the dark.

the idea of putting it all inside the oven like a cake worries me - i like to be able to watch the thermometer, as i didn't want to accidentally sterilise it.

:wink: :cool:

--------------------
buh

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Using Oven to Pasturize Poo/Straw [Re: krustydoll]
    #1321648 - 02/20/03 10:06 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Heat is lethal to microorganisms, but each species has its own particular heat tolerance. During a thermal destruction process, such as pasteurization, the rate of destruction is logarithmic, as is their rate of growth.

Thus bacteria subjected to heat are killed at a rate that is porportional to the number of organisms present. The process is dependent both on the temperature of exposure and the time required at this temperature to accomplish to desired rate of destruction.

Thermal calculations thus involve the need for knowledge of the concentration of microorganisms to be destroyed, the acceptable concentration of microorganisms that can remain behind (spoilage organisms, for example, but not pathogens), the thermal resistance of the target microorganisms (the most heat tolerant ones), and the temperature time relationship required for destruction of the target organisms.

Heat Sterilization

Heating is the most frequently used means to destroy microbes, being both economical and easily controlled. Successful heat sterilization must consider the degree of heat resistance demonstrated by a microorganism. Death from heating is an exponential function and occurs more rapidly as temperature increases. The nature of heat is also important: moist heat penetrates better than dry heat.

Decimal reduction time (DRT) is a concept employed by the canning industry to determine heat sterilization and is defined as the time it takes for 90% of microbes will be killed at a particular temperature.

Moist heat

Boiling will kill most vegetative bacteria and viruses within 10 minutes. Bacterial endospores can survive boiling temperatures. Certain bacterial toxins such as Staphylococcal enterotoxin are also heat resistant.

Autoclaving

Uses steam heat under pressure to penetrate and kill microorganisms. Steam produced at 15 psi heats to 121 C and will kill endospores after 15 minutes. Denser materials or large objects will need to be autoclaved for longer periods.

Pasteurization

Pasteurization is named for a process developed by Louis Pasteur as he looked for ways to prevent wine spoilage. It is important to note that Pasteurization is not synonymous with sterilization. This process employs heat to destroy pathogens and reduce the number of spoilage microbes in foods.

Before this process was developed, milk was a common source of diseases such as tuberculosis, typhoid fever and brucellosis. Today, pasteurization is primarily used to prolong the shelf-life of various foods.

Pasteurization employs the concept of equivalent treatments. As temperature increases less time is needed to kill a certain number of microbes that would take more time to kill at a lower temperature.

Classical (bulk) pasteurization heated foods at 63 C for 30 minutes. Today, flash pasteurization or high temperature, short-time (HTST) methods are favored as they kill heat-resistant organisms more effectively and are less likely to alter the flavor of foods. The HTST methods involve continuos passage of foods past a heat exchanger.

Dry heat sterilization

Dry heat takes more time to kill microbes as it does not penetrate as well in the absence of steam..

Incineration: burns organisms and physically destroys them. Used for needles , inoculating wires, glassware, etc. and objects not destroyed in the incineration process.

Boiling: 100?C for 30 minutes. Kills everything except some endospores . To kill endospores, and therefore sterilize the solution, very long or intermittent boiling is required.

Autoclaving (steam under pressure or pressure cooker): Good for sterilizing almost anything, but heat-labile substances will be denatured or destroyed.

Dry heat (hot air oven): 160?C/2hours or 170?C/1hour. In general a compost substrate temperature of 140o F for 4 hours is adequate for a complete pasteurization. An effective pasteurization will eradicate harmful bacteria, nematodes, insects and fungi.

Dry heat at higher temperatures pasteurize substrate quicker. To insure the temperature is even, throughout the material being pasteurized, the use of a thermometer introduced into the center of it -- is recommended.

Once the thermometer reaches the desired temperature, allow for adequate time -- at that temperature, to fully pasteurize any material.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   eBay Lab Glassware   Amazon Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation