Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHorseman
Old Timer
Loc: Houston, Texas
Going to spawn a pint BRF cake to seom straw and zoodoo...
    #1995096 - 10/09/03 10:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

OK, so I have a test cake that has turned out to be thickly colonzied (75%) but has stalled due to a highly compacted substrate (reason it was a test cake was that there was too much water content in cake). I went to Walmart and purchased a small bale of straw and I have some zoodoo as well...what my plan is, is to pastureize some straw and nuke some zoodoo, crumble the pint cake into it all and put into a 56oz Gladware container and eventually case with some coir. My question here is, is how can I effectively pasturize the straw without a candy theremometer? Will it be OK if I just bring to a steady rolling boil and submerge for an hour? I also plan on nuking 1 1/2 cup of zoodoo in the microwave for 10 minutes with a zoodoo/water ration of 5:1 (1 1/2 cups zoodoo to 1/2 cup water)...when all is cooled and ready, crunmble the cake and mix together in the Gladware and let colonize until ready to case. Any input from previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Going to spawn a pint BRF cake to seom straw and zoodoo... [Re: Horseman]
    #1995317 - 10/09/03 11:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I've done water pasteurization for small projects without a thermometer. I got my water hot enough for steam to start to rise from it without the water actually breaking into a boil. Keep the substrate submerged at this temperature for 60-75 minutes. For large quantities of substrate a thermometer is a necessity.

I recommend that you pasteurize your doo at the same time and in the same manner as the straw. The microwave sucks for pasteurization and will make your kitchen reek.

If you are going to spawn with a partially colonized cake you will have to work in a sterile environment or your contam risk will skyrocket. Your best bet is to completely remove the uncolonized cake substrate before spawning. Good luck.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineHorseman
Old Timer
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Going to spawn a pint BRF cake to seom straw and zoodoo... [Re: dog]
    #1997017 - 10/10/03 02:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I nuked my zoodoo at 10 minutes in microwave and pastuerized straw for 65 minutes in pot...went to pull half colonized cake out and just like I thought, the test cake had been way too wet and was compacted very hard. I took a fork which had been wiped down by an alcohol pad and pulled the colonized part out. The cake was so thick, that the mycelium had barely infiltrated the middle of the cake and was mostly colonizing the outer part where there was some room. Regardless, I took about half of it out and layered some straw, doo, crumbled cake, straw, doo. We'll see how it turns out...basically just an attempt to salvage the cake as an experiment. I noticed that the doo had dried up a bit when I nuked, so is it advisable to spray the doo on the top with a h2o2/water mixture to moisten or should I just let it be and see what happens? All of this was done after lysling the area, open over tek with gloves and a mask after a shower. Does anyone else love the smell of starw being pastuerized? Smells like an exotic tea!

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: Going to spawn a pint BRF cake to seom straw and zoodoo... [Re: Horseman]
    #1997482 - 10/10/03 04:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

smells like straw pasturizing to me  :smirk: 

good luck fellow houstonian 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation