Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
rye grain + bulk dung/straw
    #1918633 - 09/15/03 05:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I'm looking for some help from experienced people, please.
I have pretty good knowledge of cultivation with cakes and casings, but have no experience with rye grain or bulk methods. I have a few questions:

1) Would it work/be best to take the rye grain and rinse it, simmer it, rinse again, then let it soak for 12 hours before pressure cooking? Or will that oversoak the grain? Should it either be JUST simmered, or JUST soaked?

2) When pasturizing the straw/dung, should they be mixed together with the substrate ratios (as in, half straw and half dung)? Or should they be pasturized seperately and then mixed afterwards when they're cooled off?

3) What's the most effective way to add the rye grain spawn to the straw/dung? Should the spawn be spread in between layers of straw/dung, or should it just be covered with the straw/dung?

4) When using calcium carbonate to adjust the pH, how do you check the pH? Do you just test excess liquid with litmus papers?

Thanks a lot people, much love to the Shroomery.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Loc: Constantinople
Re: rye grain + bulk dung/straw [Re: Mushlord]
    #1919586 - 09/15/03 10:23 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

1) http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23310

and cook them at low temp. till you see some exploded kernels... Rinse and drain again (for at least 2-4 hours)... Fill into jars and PC!...

2) http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23676

3) It's a living organism. More spawn means faster colonization as well as the spreaded spawn and well mixed jars (bags) causes the organism to start colonizing from different points... And fastens it!... You can also use trays... Just place some grain layer at the bottom (after sterilizing the casing trey of course) and case it with nearly 2 times thick pasturized (sterilized) poo+straw substrate... Wrap with thin foil and incubate... Then case with a non-nutrient layer when fully colonized...

4) You can use analog or digital PH meters. But Litmus papers work fine.... And remember that Calcium Carbonate is effective for short terms... You better use oyster shells (or egg shell if not possible) for long time buffer...

And please read the FAQ... From beginning to end.... Even if you blieve you know the stuff, it makes you understand that there are lots of stuff that you don't know.... Cheers! :smile:

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Re: rye grain + bulk dung/straw [Re: ph_plus]
    #1920303 - 09/16/03 02:39 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the reply.

1) Soak the grain for 12 hours FIRST, then simmer on low for 45 minutes? (then rinse and PC, etc.)

2) I understand how to pasturize. I'm asking if there's any drawbacks to pasturizing the straw and dung mixed together, as opposed to pasturizing them both seperately and then mixing them. (you'd think pasturizing them pre-mixed would cause the substrate to turn into more of an unusuable "mush")

3) Understood as well, but I have heard of different methods. One method is to use layers (spawn, straw/dung, spawn, and so on). The other method is to simply mix up the spawn and straw/dung together evenly, then topping off with 1 layer of plain straw/dung. I'm wanting to know if one method achieves more effective colonization over the other.

4) Analog/digital pH meters measure the pH of water. So I guess that answers my question; you take the excess water of the mix and measure that.

I have read every FAQ here and then some. It's the lack of experience that causes me to ask these questions.

Thanks again, looking forward to more imput.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shell, Rye Grain, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation