Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Surveillance, Analysis and Modeling of Chatroom Communities
    #3406004 - 11/24/04 11:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The aim of this proposal is to develop new techniques for information gathering, analysis and modeling of chatroom communications. First, the investigator and his colleague consider graph-less models to capture the structure of chatroom communications. In particular, the investigators study how to develop a multidimensional singular value decomposition approach for component analysis of chatroom communication data. Second, the investigators develop new visualisation techniques to display the structural information found in the first step. Internet chatrooms provide an interactive and public forum of communication for participants with diverse objectives. Two properties of chatrooms make them particularly vulnerable for exploitation by malicious parties. First, the real identities of the participants are decoupled from their chatroom nicknames. Second, multiple threads of communication can co-exist concurrently. Although human-monitoring of each chatroom to determine "who-is-chatting-with-whom" is possible, it is very time consuming, hence not scalable. Thus, it is very easy to conceal malicious behavior in Internet chatrooms and use them for covert communications (e.g., adversary using a teenager chatroom to plan a terrorist act). This project aims at a fully automated surveillance system for data collection and analysis in Internet chatrooms to discover hidden groups. The surveillance is done in the form of statistical profiling for a particular chatter, a group of chatters, or for the entire chatroom. The statistical profiles are used to devise algorithms to determine chatters and their partners and answer to queries including (i) "in which chatrooms topic A is discussed", (ii) "who is chatting about topic A in chatroom X", (iii) "is topic A is a hot one in chatroom X" etc. Thus, the proposed system could aid the intelligence community to discover hidden communities and communication patterns in chatrooms without human intervention. This award is supported jointly by the NSF and the Intelligence Community. The Approaches to Terrorism program in the Directorate for Mathematics and Physical Sciences supports new concepts in basic research and workforce development with the potential to contribute to national security.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Surveillance, Analysis and Modeling of Chatroom Communities [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3406009 - 11/24/04 11:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Surveillance, Analysis and Modeling of Chatroom Communities [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3406036 - 11/24/04 11:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

usefulidiot had better watch out...

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #3408062 - 11/25/04 02:38 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

thank god we have george bush in office.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #3408887 - 11/25/04 07:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

a paranoid government to spy on its own citizens on the internet, what a brilliant idea. :thumbdown:

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Re: Surveillance, Analysis and Modeling of Chatroom Communities [Re: chodamunky]
    #3408906 - 11/25/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

chodamunky said:
a paranoid government to spy on its own citizens on the internet, what a brilliant idea. :thumbdown:

I'm not sure they're paranoid..they seem fully confident that the majority of the general public will passively accept this along with the many other 'national security enhancements' they are planning on implimenting into our every day lives

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Surveillance, Analysis and Modeling of Chatroom Communities [Re: usefulidiot]
    #3410081 - 11/25/04 11:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

they are paranoid that another terrorist attack is gonna happen so they come up with this BS, or they are in on it and are using a terrorist threat to make us into fully monitored and controllable slaves, one legislation at a time...

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#3411257 - 11/26/04 05:48 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ahhh the slippery slope we've started heading down since Bush's Patriot Act. Breathe in that sweet freedom!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion