Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHillBilly777
Heterotroph

Enhanced O2 growing
    #3394553 - 11/21/04 08:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

As I was doing some research into scuba diving, particularly NITROX, an enhanced oxygen mixture of air, I got thinking about growing me some gourmet mushrooms. Since mushrooms metabolize 02, I was wondering if one would utilize a tank of oxygen, or an enhanced air mix, like 36%NITROX, to accelerate the growth of one's crop. Has anyone experimented with enhanced oxygen mixtures to speed growth?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineamyloid
Stranger
Re: Enhanced O2 growing [Re: HillBilly777]
    #3395271 - 11/22/04 10:01 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

there was a discussion about this before, "co2 respiration" i think was the thread title. if i remember correctly i believe the general consensus was that increasing o2 wouldnt increase metabolization or yeild or speed, because mush dont utilize all the o2 in the air regardless. its like would you expect your body to grow faster if u lived in a o2 rich room? i dont remember anyone talking about nitrox though, why dont u try it out and let me know if it works out?

--------------------
"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: Enhanced O2 growing [Re: amyloid]
    #3397380 - 11/23/04 08:00 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Some pot growers supplement co2 because under super lights that can become the limiting factor. If aired properly, o2 will never be the limiting factor in mush growth.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
Re: Enhanced O2 growing [Re: Tantalus]
    #3402904 - 11/24/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

To elaborate further; If I remember correctly, air is about 20% oxygen and around 1% carbon dioxide. The reason O2 won't be a limiting factor in a well ventilated mushroom chamber is because the oxygen requirement is well below 20%, whereas plants can use more than the ~1% CO2 under optimal conditions. Baby_Hitler started the earlier thread about this.

--------------------

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Enhanced O2 growing [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #3405623 - 11/24/04 07:21 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

What is nitrox?

In diving terminology; any mixture of nitrogen and oxygen, where these two gases represent the major constituents of the gas mix, is termed nitrox. Note that mixes which contain more than trace levels of other gases in addition to nitrogen and oxygen are not nitrox. Air is considered a nitrox mix. Nitrox mixes which are hyperoxic (contain more than 21% oxygen) are variously known as; enriched air, enriched air nitrox (EAN or EANx) or SafeAir *. For the most part, sport divers will only be interested in hyperoxic nitrox mixes.

* SafeAir is copyright of ANDI and refers to any nitrox mix with an oxygen percentage between 22% and 50%.

as you can see.. air is already nitrox in diving terminoledgy, so i see no real benefit. maybe a hyperoxic nitrox mixture.. but i don't see how increased levels of nitrogen will help anything....

Edited by lesstutrey (11/24/04 07:56 PM)

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Enhanced O2 growing [Re: lesstutrey]
    #3405787 - 11/24/04 08:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

High pressure O2 rich barometric chambers speed growth.
...food for thought:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Enhanced O2 growing [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #3406759 - 11/25/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>To elaborate further; If I remember correctly, air is about 20% oxygen and around 1% carbon dioxide.

Actually carbon dioxide is contained in the air to only about 0,03% or 300 ppm.

As you said, oxygen is not a limiting factor at the fruiting stage at all.

OfflineTruNiceGuy
Stranger
Re: Enhanced O2 growing [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3477631 - 12/10/04 05:10 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

but is there any research done specifically on their effects on fungi? There was an article in The Journal of General Microbiology from 1966 Vol 45 Pages 17-29 that noted fungi, when placed under 10 atmospheres ceased growing. Granted, this is not o2 rich air, just pressurized every-day air. Just wondering specific results... (by the way, the fungi did continue to grow, when returned to normal atmospheric conditions...)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds