Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale, Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone consider incorporating an oxygen generator... [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1371375 - 03/13/03 03:26 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Astronaughts have been exposed to pure oxygen for weeks at a time without serious side

When astronauts are exposed to 100% O2, it's at reduced atmospheric pressures; this places the partial pressure of O2 (PO2) well below one atmosphere which is the equivalent of breathing less than 100% O2.

There are two types of O2 toxicity. One affects your lungs, the other affects your central nervous system.

Breathing pure O2 at one atmosphere will eventually cause a drop in lung vital capacity. It takes a while, but it will eventually happen. This is the first type of toxicity. When the PO2 is dropped, the lungs quickly make a full recovery.

Technical divers breathe pure O2 starting at 20 feet underwater for decompression. They limit exposure to no more than 20 minutes. At that depth, the PO2 is 1.6. This PO2/time is the generally accepted maximum for divers since breathing a higher PO2 greatly increases the likelihood of benign convulsions. The convulsions themselves are not especially harmful, but if they occur underwater, the diver will drown. Once the PO2 is dropped, the convulsions stop and there is a full recovery. This is the second type of O2 toxicity.

Quote:

The truth is, it gets you high with a healthy set of lungs.

Elevated partial pressures of O2 do not make you "high". You may be thinking of nitrogen-narcosis, an effect divers experience that does make you "high" at partial pressures above about 4.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: Anyone consider incorporating an oxygen generator... [Re: Diploid]
    #1371906 - 03/13/03 06:52 AM (21 years, 20 days ago)

You seem to know your gases, diploid :smile:

However, anyone who doubts that pure O2 at one atm gives you a buzz hasn't tried it. And if you lift weights or run, like I do, pure O2 can really help you recover from a nasty workout.

One other thing, pure O2 can also decrease red blood cells over time.

I'm not advocating people trying to get high by breathing O2 :smile:

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Anyone consider incorporating an oxygen generator... [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1383551 - 03/17/03 08:46 AM (21 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

I'm not advocating people trying to get high by breathing O2

Why not? We have an oxygen bar here in town that advocates just that. Choose your "flavor" if any and pay your money, they hook you up to an oxygen machine. It's not really that cool, but they advertise heavily and sometimes I have to go to entertain clients. It does give a little bit of a buzz.

Regardless, there is very little reason to believe that adding oxygen to a set-up is worth doing. Far more effective is obeying what we already know we should do, specific # of air exchanges to provide oxygen and vent co2, proper air circulation to prevent stagnation and/or co2 stratification. I don't think anybody has really shown increased levels of oxygen to be beneficial in any set-up other than some liquid culture tests done in china on medicinal fungi. And liquid culturing for the purpose of havesting bio-mass isn't worth the effort in our hobby.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale, Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale