Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite   eBay Lighters

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineluckydog
Stranger
oxygen use in mycilium incubation stage
    #1802841 - 08/11/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

to make a long story short, about 2 months ago i inoculated pf jars with cubensis spores and soil specifically formulated for violets mixed with ground organic brown rice. about 1 month later it had produced a dense quarter size ball of mycelium that seemed to stall. i reviewed the properties of the violet soil and found out that it contained anti-fungal properties, so i trans-planted the mycelium to the same ground brown rice and chopped natural sea sponge (no vermiculite available). the mycelium grew aggressively for about 2 weeks and then slowed. so, then i injected the jars with pure oxygen and growth commenced for another 2 weeks, but now, even with additional injections of pure oxygen, the mycelium has seemed to stall. i believe humidity and temperatures are correct, i live in the tropics and i can still see a bit of humidity in the jars and the temperatures are between 75-85F. MY QUESTION IS 2 FOLD, WILL MYCELIUM GROW IN A PURE OXYGEN ENVIROMENT (I.E. WITHOUT THE OTHER CONSTITUANTS OF AIR) OR CAN THE 2 MONTHS OF AGE OF THE MYCELIUM SLOW FURTHER PROPAGATION?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oxygen use in mycilium incubation stage [Re: luckydog]
    #1802960 - 08/11/03 08:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MY QUESTION IS 2 FOLD, WILL MYCELIUM GROW IN A PURE OXYGEN ENVIROMENT (I.E. WITHOUT THE OTHER CONSTITUANTS OF AIR)

I doubt it. For one, I think that long term exposure to pure oxygen is harmful to many organisms. For two, high co2 levels are actually beneficial in all stages of growth up to pinning (up to a certain maximum level of course). That's conjecture though, I've never read a study with scientific rigor that looked at the scenario.

Quote:

CAN THE 2 MONTHS OF AGE OF THE MYCELIUM SLOW FURTHER PROPAGATION?

Possibly. In my experience, 2 months isn't long enough to render a culture useless or non-viable, but I've certainly noticed a reduce in vigor starting at about the 2 month age. That was on fully colonized jars though, so it may not be relevant to a continually growing culture.

But getting to the root of your problems, have you considered grains, whole brown rice (ala 9er's tek), or even using coco coir as a verm substitute? Grains would require a pressure cooker, and one would be nice with whole rice but steaming can be effective.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblecalicyco

#1802962 - 08/11/03 08:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

How are you filtering the air?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: oxygen use in mycilium incubation stage [Re: calicyco]
    #1803500 - 08/11/03 11:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

dude, just follow the pf tek, its all you need to do

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: oxygen use in mycilium incubation stage [Re: ZippoZ]
    #1805144 - 08/12/03 12:25 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

read his post zippo, he can't get verm. How do you expect him to "just follow the pf tek" if he can't get the single most important ingredient?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlineluckydog
Stranger
Re: oxygen use in mycilium incubation stage [Re: calicyco]
    #1808862 - 08/13/03 12:07 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

the "OXYGEN" is from a dive decompression chamber and is stored in cylinders. i don`t know how steril it is, but it`s under pressure and supposibly for human respiration. besides, in the last month i`ve seen no contamination develope. i injected the culture jars through a hole in the plastic lids with a steril basketball air inflator needle. maybe i should re-inject with regular (21% oxygen) filtered scuba tank air. i`m hoping that the 3,000 psi destroys any bacteria. what do you think? to be clear, the original reason that i injected the jars with oxygen was because i don`t have access to vermiculite and the mycilium was already about 6 weeks in growth, that seemed to stall again. i?m attempting to save the fungus because there?s no more spores in this area for 500 miles and i won`t risk getting them by mail in this location. would you think that nitrox (air at any percent oxygen other than 21%) would help at any stage of growth?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1808929 - 08/13/03 12:34 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I tried the O2 experiment some time back.  I teach technical diving and have access to a variety of gasses.  I was unable to find any significant benefit to any gas combination over air.  As for 3,000 PSI killing bacteria, don't count on it.  All kinds of bacteria and other organisms have been found living at the bottom of the ocean at pressures exceeding 10,000 PSI.

By the way, verm is available from numerous online garden supply houses.  It's legal and commonly used in gardening.  You should have no trouble ordering some.  Plant a tomato patch in the back yard if someone gets suspicious.  I hear a tomato gardening forum is going to be added to the Shroomery soon too.  :tongue:

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlineluckydog
Stranger
Re: oxygen use in mycilium incubation stage [Re: Diploid]
    #1809122 - 08/13/03 01:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

shipping vermiculite across borders, i`m trying substitutes, thanks for your reply!

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #1810034 - 08/13/03 05:29 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Not to push your questions to the side, but I do not know the answers, and am interested. As far as you having to import vermiculite, thats kinda extreme dont you think? You might wanna give grains a try.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Offlineluckydog
Stranger
Re: oxygen use in mycilium incubation stage [Re: tak]
    #1811105 - 08/13/03 09:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

YEP, I WILL LOOK TO A LOCAL BAKERY FOR RYE GRAIN TOMARROW FOR A TRANSPLANT, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY!

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: luckydog]
    #1811200 - 08/13/03 10:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Offlineaugiemolly
bobobonbobobovich
    #1814819 - 08/14/03 08:48 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

>  i don`t know how steril it is, <
I  think that anything originating from this planet will not survive in a pure O2 enviroment so sterile is a good bet. As an avid ex-homebrewer I know that pure O2 into wort at yeast pitching time produces quantum leaps in yeast performance so back home in Amsterdam (where growing is legal)  I decided to pump pure O2 into my fruiting chamber at birthing at regular intervals and had excellent results with some strains and seemingly adverse affects with others. PF classic and KS classic on brf cakes started pinning on day 2 and approx 50% of very generous first flush was plucked on day 8 with  the remainder on day 9 . African and Mexi cub cakes held back from casings seemed stunted and barely produced but the mex casing produced normally in the same chamber. I've deciided not to play with Africans anymore.
Perhaps the most interesting thing is that the PF cakes produced hardly any aborts, maybe a couple teaspoons over three generous flushes on 8 1/2pints. All anecdotal I know but bears further scruitiny me thinks.
Anyway, I realize you're talking incubation but thought I'd relay my experience as a sidebar. IMO O2 injected into incubating containers would be counterindicated during incubation, even a stalled one. I'm certainly not pretending to be a myco brain but found your post interesting . Pure O2 is a death sentence to anything exposed long enough but air enriched with O2 keeps folks alive and seems to give at least some types of fungus....a speed buzz.. :smile: 

--------------------
Listen to the Gourds!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite   eBay Lighters

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology