Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDig
Stranger
Spent Brewers Grain
    #3398729 - 11/23/04 01:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I have searched and searched the data base here, but I can not find any posts that have to do with spent brewers grain. Has anyone successfully used this in a grain recipe? I have access to "tons" of this substrate still steaming and ready to go. I have the TMC by stamets and chilton and they list it as a viable substrate. I have also found it listed here, but it only gives the nutrient value.

Possible questions that I foresee: 1) Would amendments be needed? 2) Would I need to re-pasteurize (since it was just turned into beer-wort and still hot) 3) Would endospores be a problem if inoculated with mycelium vs. spores

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: Dig]
    #3398758 - 11/23/04 02:05 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've used them in outside patches and the myc seemed to tear through that stuff. It probably wouldn't hurt in a grain recipe. I would recommend resterilizing just to be safe. But since you have so much, just experiment. All the endospores should have germinated already. Please let us know the results. I have about 100 pounds of spent grain that I plan on using outside next year, but I might experiment a little if your results look promising.

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3398770 - 11/23/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It really depends on how nutrient rich it still is after most of the converted starch has been leached from the malt.
As for the amendments, if I remember correctly, the wort is acidic, so I guess you could use come calcium carbonate to buffer it and possibly calcium sulphate to make it easier to handle.

I guess a trial is in order with various preparation methods, I am very interested to hear the results.

OfflineDig
Stranger
Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: Anno]
    #3398862 - 11/23/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Here is what I am planning for the experiment...

1 Have spawn in the form of berries or cakes.
2 Immediately take grain from hopper (thinking of using roughly 25lb batches) and transport to the bat cave.
3 Place grain in either pressure cooker or oven and turn the heat up.
4 As soon as 85*F reached mix in spawn and place in large tupperware and proceed as normal.

After I take a closer look at the nutrient contents I will adjust to pH and/or cut with other substrate.

@Anno - "It really depends on how nutrient rich it still is after most of the converted starch has been leached from the malt. "
My brewer buddy says that as much as 25% if not more of the original starch is left. The grains used are from a micro-brewery and their "grain bill" for their batches is quite high when compared to large breweries.

@Lifeenergy - How was the yield of the outside plots vs. any others you have tried? Basically how many flushes and was the yield comparable.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3398863 - 11/23/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

There is an article:
"Recycling of spent grains from beer and ethanol production into media for mushroom production"
The paper was first published in the Phytopathology (91:S111).

Abstract: One constant problem with beer and ethanol production is the large amount of spent grain that must be dumped, landfilled or sold as animal feed for as little as $10-30 per ton. Because of the ever-increasing popularity of cultivated specialty mushrooms, we investigated methods for recycling of these spent grains into inexpensive substrates for mushroom cultivation. The spent grains, consisting of wheat or barley combined with hops, were obtained from three different beer-processing plants, and spent corn from an ethanol production plant. We determined the chemical compositions of each substrate and compared the mycelial growth and the fruit body yields on various combinations of these substrates, plus other additives where necessary. Fungal species evaluated as inoculants were Lentinula edodes, Pleurotus ostreatus, P. populinus, Hericium coralloides, H. erinaceus, Ganoderma lucidum, Clitocybe nuda, Grifola frondosa, and Stropharia rugoso-annulata. We present data on our attempts to cultivate mushrooms on these substrates, including methods for sufficient sterilization and unique media combinations and additives for each individual inoculant.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #3398979 - 11/23/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
There is an article:
"Recycling of spent grains from beer and ethanol production into media for mushroom production"
The paper was first published in the Phytopathology (91:S111).

Abstract: One constant problem with beer and ethanol production is the large amount of spent grain that must be dumped, landfilled or sold as animal feed for as little as $10-30 per ton. Because of the ever-increasing popularity of cultivated specialty mushrooms, we investigated methods for recycling of these spent grains into inexpensive substrates for mushroom cultivation. The spent grains, consisting of wheat or barley combined with hops, were obtained from three different beer-processing plants, and spent corn from an ethanol production plant. We determined the chemical compositions of each substrate and compared the mycelial growth and the fruit body yields on various combinations of these substrates, plus other additives where necessary. Fungal species evaluated as inoculants were Lentinula edodes, Pleurotus ostreatus, P. populinus, Hericium coralloides, H. erinaceus, Ganoderma lucidum, Clitocybe nuda, Grifola frondosa, and Stropharia rugoso-annulata. We present data on our attempts to cultivate mushrooms on these substrates, including methods for sufficient sterilization and unique media combinations and additives for each individual inoculant.

uhm great, the article says that there IS data but it doesnt show the data :wink:
pls include the statistics or whatever there is.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Edited by ohmatic (11/23/04 02:47 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: ohmatic]
    #3398990 - 11/23/04 02:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This is the abstract.
The article is available in your library.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3399012 - 11/23/04 02:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Here are the details of the publication, now what is left to do is for you to visit the KF Bibliothek , Fernleihe, and order the article.
http://www.apsnet.org/meetings/2001/abstracts/m01ma068.htm

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3399067 - 11/23/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

#3401261 - 11/23/04 10:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This was my first time using the grains, and I mixed them with poo and straw. I used my spent cakes and casings and layered them in holes that I prepared. The grain comprised roughly 20% - 30% of the mix. Since I mixed them with other things it's hard to say how it affected yields and such, really because my yields are always great with poo and straw. I do know that the mycelium had no problems colonizing them. It probably doesn't benefit a whole lot, but it gives you something constructive to do with the grains.

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

OfflineDig
Stranger
Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: Lifenergy]
    #3401502 - 11/24/04 12:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Right on!

Thanks for the input guys!

I discussed this at length with my brewer buddy and he said that their extraction rate was 68% efficient... which makes me think that the grain still has roughly 32% starch left over. I believe that a mix is probably required to sustain efficient fruiting so that is the direction I will first move in.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3401660 - 11/24/04 12:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I will go to my Library today and try to obtain that paper in full.

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
    #3401677 - 11/24/04 12:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting, I was wondering this as well when I brewed my first batch of beer with my brother, seemed like a waste just throwing away the tasty looking oats and what not. I'll bet some oyster mushrooms would do great on the brewed leftovers. I would definately PC it for sterilty though.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflinemuleV
just a ass
Male User Gallery
Loc: Jamaica-- umm what day is...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: Signo]
    #3402811 - 11/24/04 08:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

be very carefull , contamates fast. Had a three ton batch goto mold in the space of 24 hours. Took weeks to clean it up.

--------------------
Best Quotes;
Agar
One little needle prick with a loaded spore syringe.
And, the spores rule you forever.
:crazy2:

My reality check bounced, Whats your excuse?

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: mule]
    #3402885 - 11/24/04 09:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Just wondering, did you mean 3 tonnes in brewing or was it bulk substrate  :eek:?

--------------------

OfflinemuleV
just a ass
Male User Gallery
Loc: Jamaica-- umm what day is...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #3402944 - 11/24/04 09:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

spent brewer mash (Jamaican Red Stripe beer), was to used as bulk substrate for oysters

--------------------
Best Quotes;
Agar
One little needle prick with a loaded spore syringe.
And, the spores rule you forever.
:crazy2:

My reality check bounced, Whats your excuse?

Offlinefeb
Horn dog with acorn dog.
Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: mule]
    #3407701 - 11/25/04 10:34 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

This link says that Hericium can be grown on distiller?s grain waste. I?ve used spent grain including: barley, wheat and corn as a supplement for growing shiitake, reishi & oyster mushrooms on sawdust.

-feb

OfflineAnjing
journeyman

Re: Spent Brewers Grain [Re: feb]
    #3413727 - 11/26/04 08:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I've got some spent crystal malts in my fridge. Has anyone had any success with this? Any ideas to what water content you would want? Would it be the same as verm or coir? I was thinking about mixing it with some straw to lessen the clumping.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order