Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Most people lack a basic understand of what exactly science is.
    #3396522 - 11/23/04 02:24 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Most of our exposure to science is drastically dumbed down so that we can understand it. This is especially true when it comes to things like particle physics and genetics. Which cannot possibly be fully understood without a strong background in math and physics or biology.

However, you still see quite a few ideas and theories coming from people who don't necessarily have a full understanding of the math or experiements that have led us to the theories that are commonly considered in the scientific community.

Often, the logic used in these theories is based on the simplified versions of the information... like an article about string theory in Time magazine, which of course doesn't tell the whole story, and you end up with a theory that might seem to make sense to the author, but from the perspective of the people who are seriously studying physics, it could be complete nonsense.

The big problem though, is that most people haven't dedicated their lives to the study of a science. So the crackpot theories, and the real theories read very similarly. They both use the same terms, and they're both written by people who claim to be experts.

The general public needs to have a better understanding of how the scientific community works, what they do, what constitutes a good experiment or theory, and why certain theories are dismissed as bunk.

People often claim that scientists are too closed minded to accept some theories. Which is somewhat true, there are scientists like that. But there are also scientists eager to jump on the bandwagon of new and revolutionary ideas, and wild new ideas that are largely ignored are often picked up and sometimes eventually they even become the predominant idea. Ideas and theories are constantly changing in science, and new ones often come about. The difference between the ones that attract interest and the ones that don't is the fact that they have a good experiment or some interesting math to back them up. Real evidence.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Most people lack a basic understand of what exactly science is. [Re: Phluck]
    #3396772 - 11/23/04 03:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

if only schools concentrated on the application of science/math, rather than endless repetitive practice.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Most people lack a basic understand of what exactly science is. [Re: BleaK]
    #3396789 - 11/23/04 03:46 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Would definately be nice...
I realized that I didn't fully understand what science was until after I graduated from high school. Seems kind of odd, what with all the science classes.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Most people lack a basic understand of what exactly science is. [Re: Phluck]
    #3396803 - 11/23/04 03:51 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i was never given the chance to ask meaningfull questions, thus i was never interested in science. till much much later.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology