Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehfactor
Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Second flush problems
    #3389996 - 11/20/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Ok I wasnt sure if I should put this in adavanced but its a casing and I used WBS so I thought I should.
Ok here is the problem. So far I have had 2 successfull casings, the first flush is always amazing, great growth across the board, pretty even pinset, i got 1 oz with 3 jars and half oz with 1 jar.
So I'm going to tell you exactly what I do after I harvest the first flush.
I harvest it and then patch the holes with the same casing mix I used (50 coco coir, 50 vermiculite) and then I mist the top with water and throw it back in the terrium. Now the myc grows fine, and I do get a pinset, the problem is I only get about 10-20 pins with about 30-40% of them getting to their full potential. In my first flush I usually get around 100-200 pins and about the same 30-40% reaching maturity. As you can see I would much rather have 30-60 shrooms to harvest than 3-6 shrooms... Now can anyone tell me what is wrong with this? Should I be dunking the casing after the first flush to rehydrate it?
I did search for this for a little while (like 15 mins) but I got lazy and decided to post, sorry if this annoys anyone. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Second flush problems [Re: hfactor]
    #3391175 - 11/20/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

it sounds like the first flush really drains the nutrients in the casing which is why you dont get as many in the 2nd flush, i would try 70% coir to 30% verm patching so that more nutrients are readily found. thats my best guess anyway :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedjred

Re: Second flush problems [Re: aussieone]
    #3391189 - 11/20/04 10:27 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i was qouted on a 70 to 30 mix also with coir

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Second flush problems [Re: hfactor]
    #3391271 - 11/20/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you need to dunk the casing in water/peroxide for 12 hours inthe fridge then patch then fruit again....youll be amazed!

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Second flush problems [Re: dobinky]
    #3391795 - 11/21/04 01:14 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

you need to dunk the casing in water/peroxide for 12 hours inthe fridge then patch then fruit again....youll be amazed!

- I wouldn't put them in the fridge after the first flush. Your second and third flush pins are created in the inital pinset, so putting it in the cold only slows your growth.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: Second flush problems [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3391865 - 11/21/04 01:40 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

new pins will form again and give you a great flush.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Second flush problems [Re: dobinky]
    #3393443 - 11/21/04 03:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It only slows the growth but once they go back in the chamber they spring immediatly to life. It could be WBS (I've only worked with rye, I hear WBS doesnt make the best casings) and it could be a lack of water..or both. Try a dunk and put them in the fridge if you have room..I do occassionally but usually dont have room and I dunk between every flush..with the second flush pins on there h202 and all..the pins love it, I dont care what anyone says about it causing aborts.

And putting 70/30 on isnt going to change anything to help them get nutes better. A 50/50+ casing will work just as well if not better and a casing has nothing to do with nutrients, only holding water.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Second flush problems *DELETED* [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3393553 - 11/21/04 04:19 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by IGnosticAbhorI

Reason for deletion: Typed the wrong thing I was thinking (clutz) *holds gun to head* *BANG* (Floridian humor) gl

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Second flush problems [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3393767 - 11/21/04 05:08 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

he's just saying 50/50 and 60/40 method don't add nutes. They're just a casing layer.. and a casing layer is to hold water:o it may have a small portion of nutes, but thats not its function. the substrate is where the nutes are at. thats why people recomend thick substrate layers.. so they get lots of nutes

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Second flush problems [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3393865 - 11/21/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Umm....w/o nutes you'd have the crappiest mushrooms. Water is important but that's like me feeding you only water you're entire life, yes, they are mostly water but they do need nutes, It's not a great idea to tell people not to try something. I say try the 70/30 and then try the 50/50 and see what works best for you, it's always good to test shit. Gl, i hope it works out.Later

You seem to be confuse. Coco coir nor verm contain nutes. Neither does peat or verm. The only things a casing layer does is give water to the mushrooms, provide them with a place to grow, control the amount of growth to get an even pinset, and protect from contams. The casing does not give it nutrients, it does not add in getting nutrients to mushrooms and with or without it or using a 70/30 or 50/50 isnt going to create "bunk" mushrooms. I myself use a 70/30 however if you talk to a professional (commercial) cultivator they will tell you that a 50/50+ is superior. Only because it gives water better but this is what the casings main function is. A 50/50 is just normally more difficult to do because you need to add a buffer (thats the + part) so a 70/30 is recommended to beginners. Either way the point is, the casing mix isnt the problem..the nutes are ONLY in the WBS and those exist no matter what and can't be changed as long as WBS is used. I did mention that lack of nutes could be the problem though the only way to fix that is to change the nutes..say to something like rye which is notorious for being a really good grain to case strait. Lack of water is also another thing that could cause this.

I do not discourage people from trying new things so please, next time understand what your talking about before insulting me like that.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Second flush problems [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3393914 - 11/21/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm. Well i apoligze if it sounded offense, and yes I was thinking one thing but typed the wrong words, lovely, sry bout that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds