Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepowderandpill
KISS (Keep ItSimple, Stupid)

Loc: Canada
Cubies on straw; few flushes; any suggestions?
    #1125402 - 12/09/02 05:18 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

Based on the incredibly motivating bulk grow logs, my friend decided to move from the tried-and-true PF tek to indoor bulk straw.

P. Cub. Amazonian multispore innoculation of rice, used as spawn in a 2" deep straw/manure substrate. Cased with vermiculite. Massive fruits, but only 1 good flush. The "most charismatic fruit" was cloned into 500 mL jars of pasteurized wheat straw. Of the 6 jars that grew quickly and contaminant-free, they were mixed with an equal amount of pasteurized wheat straw, and packed into 12 jars. Once colonized, those 12 jars were again doubled by mixing with an equal amount of wheat straw and packed into 24 jars.

Once *those* jars were colonized (I know this is getting repetitive but here comes the good part) 12 of them (6 L of colonized substrate, about 1.5 square feet of surface area) were packed side-by-side into an opaque rubbermaid container, to within 3"of the top edge. The rubbermaid was loosely covered with a clear plastic sheet. The cloned material is about 3.5 months into its life from spores at this point.

With no fanning, misting, cold shocking, or casing layer (my friend is trying to make this as simple as possible), 3 monster fruits grew to the length of his forearm. The second flush produced 14 or so "normal sized" fruits of about 5" each. The third flush was downright disappointing, with 3 fruits of about 3" each.

What can be done to increase the yields? Other grow logs have clearly demonstrated pinsets with one hundred pins in a square foot. My friend has had 200 pins on one square foot of verm/flour in the PF tek ratio.

In keeping with the simplicity theme, he would like to avoid casing and the like. Could there be a problem with pH? Air exchange requirements for later flushes? More nutrients with compost or poo? Does casing really help that much? Senescence after 5 months of cellular division?

-confused

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMajor_Buzz
just like that

Loc: Left Bank
Re: Cubies on straw; few flushes; any suggestions? [Re: powderandpill]
    #1125460 - 12/09/02 05:46 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

Be careful with cloning as successive generations don't do well if the substrate is changed.

Edited by Major_Buzz (12/09/02 05:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation