Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerobbster
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, IL
Purchase Vermiculite online?
    #3335933 - 11/09/04 02:18 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hows this for Verm.?
http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=208610&sid=GOOGLE&EID=GL02088

Any other links for Verm.?

--------------------
- Robb

"This is the trip, this is the best part."
-Jim Morrison

Bio:
:cig: :stash: :beer: :mushroom2: :doggystyle:

First Grow Log

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Purchase Vermiculite online? [Re: robbster]
    #3335994 - 11/09/04 03:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I wish they had a better picture of it. It looks a little to fine for what your looking for, but its kinda hard to tell from that pic it gives. It may be just fine though. You could also try mycosupply.com

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Purchase Vermiculite online? [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3336034 - 11/09/04 04:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

shroomery sponsors :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by aussieone (11/09/04 04:54 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Purchase Vermiculite online? [Re: aussieone]
    #3336041 - 11/09/04 04:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

That picture is actually quite good and very easy to tell that it is not course verm but fine verm. I'm not sure if this is what you want as I'm not sure as to what your doing with it. From what I hear..course verm good for cakes..fine verm good for casings. I use fine verm for casings and have never done cakes but well yeah.....

Shroomery sponsers are always cool, though I know they can sometimes cost a little more. You'll always be happy with the product though! Good luck!

BTW a local search will probably find that its not around since its out of season..I havn't gotten any in a bit I hope my regular supplier has it, I havnt found it locally anywhere else..anyways..yeah good luck!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Purchase Vermiculite online? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3336052 - 11/09/04 04:59 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Actually scat, that pic is quite blurry, I dont really know where you got the idea that it was just fine, also it is from a distance that you could not tell wether it was a fine course or medium. For all you know that could be a big pile of vermiculite from a good distance. Its almost impossible to tell from that pic.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Edited by hawksapprentice (11/09/04 05:04 AM)

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3336058 - 11/09/04 05:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Scatmanrav, just for the future reference... Fine verm is great for cakes. For substrate, it'll hold more water. For top dry layer, you don't need to grind them. And for casing mix, it's perfect.

The biggest drawback for fine verm is it is really hard to keep the substrate fluffy when you load the jars. Teks call for light packing and make things even worse. I had BU jars packed lightly(I thought it was lightly at least) at took almost 3 weeks to colonize compared to my usual 9-11 days now. Coarse verm makes it a bit more newbie proof as they leave a lot more spaces in between them.

Fine stuff is really really hard to fluff before you load them, but it can be done if you know what fluffiness you are shooting for. This is the reason why I recommend coarse verm for newbies over and over again. When a push comes to a shove and fine is all they have, we can tell them(and show them) fluffing verm and help them through it.

For all newbies reading this... please spend the extra time looking for coarse verm. I'm not calling anyone imcompetant... but it's makes sticking to ideals so much easier.

Going back to original question... Hawksapprentice, it's not hard to tell the sizes. That looks like medium/coarse to me. You can e-mail them and ask for average size. Average size for coarse is about 9mm+, medium 2-4mm, and fine is less than 1mm. If you can see lots of chunks, it's usually not fine stuff. Even if you take a picture close up, fine looks more powdery than chunky.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Edited by Sam1912 (11/09/04 05:16 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Purchase Vermiculite online? [Re: Sam1912]
    #3336108 - 11/09/04 06:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Blurry? Perfectly clear to me. I'll give you that it -could- be far out however generally only a small amount of product is used and a closeup taken. Only a sample is needed to show th consumer what it is and a close up gives you a better impression from the picture. From the looks of it, this appears so but I'll give you that it could possibly be misleading. It looks like "Horticultural Grade" which is pretty fine (would be considered medium I guess though as its generally about 2-4mm) and this is what this looks like. If you think that looks either powdered (which is when its to fine for us to use in most cases) or large chunks that are 3/4" big I would suggest a monitor or glasses upgrade. And, why tell them is a little fine for what their want it for? Do you even know what they want it for?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336135 - 11/09/04 06:27 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

No i dont know the exact thing they're going to be using it for. But if they're in here it narrows it down quite a bit. And if they're new at this i tend to advise them to go with a larger vermiculite wether they're going for cakes or casings, its a safer bet. And i have a new plasma screen thats wonderfully clear and better eyesight than most people out there. Dont go on some sort of offensive here buddy.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336142 - 11/09/04 06:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hmm.. guess I better clarify...  verm grade is kind of mixed..  they aren't very uniform...  I'll post some pics later as to what's what.

3/4" average are sold as super coarse grade, Scatmanrav.

Again, I'll post some pics later.. .it's late right now.

This is how I would classify them.

All <1mm - superfine.  Used for specific grow condition to hold extra water.
Avg <1mm - fine.  It's used for same as superfine, but the irregularity in size is a lot more.  You'll see quite a few chunks 1-2mm big.
1-4mm -medium.  Mostly used by nurseries for seedlings.
9mm+- coarse.  Used for soil mixtures for plants prone to root rot.  This is the stuff newbies should start with.
There are really really big chunky stuff called super coarse.  You'd want to stay clear of them.

Defining grades is fairly standardized in the industry. But because a bag of verm has varying sized verm, sometimes I call them with 2 grades.

Medium/fine for more medium with good mix of fine stuff.
Medium/coarse for more medium with good mix of coarse.
coarse/medium for more coarse with good mix of medium.
etc...

I recommend coarse/medium over and over again becasue you can shake the bag and get the coarse stuff from the top.  Flip the bag and shake, and you can get the medium stuff out and grind them up.

I probably should recommend an FAQ for that, but it's not a very difficult task to find a coarse verm.

Scatmanrav, one of these days we need to get together with few others and publish an update Tek.

Anyways...  yeah, that picture held well at 400% zoom for me.  I don't think suggesting an upgrade to glasses is very nice, though... my prescription is 5 years old... :frown:  I think I'll stick with zoom zoom zoom!

oh yeah.. horticultural thing.  Verm has two main application.  Insulation and plant medium additive.  Well.. there's shroom growing, too, but let's call that others.  Horticultural will say horticultural most of the time.  Some will have code looking thing on them.  Usually those are industrial grades.  If you want to be certain, you can look in the back and look for instruction regarding mixture for plants.  Pictures of daisies would be a dead giveaway.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336207 - 11/09/04 07:09 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

>I don't think suggesting an upgrade to glasses is very nice, though

It wasnt directed at you if you didn't know but no I guess it wasnt very nice. It's just Ive been getting pissed off at all the questions recently. People ask the same questions, show little imagination or ambition and show more of just wanting shrooms and wanting to feel like they know something and have to do things their way. Theres been alot of that recently and everythings been setting me off. When someone says something like "I can't see the picture to tell what kind of verm it is and I dont know what your using it for, but it looks like its to fine for what you need" I just go "WHAT?!?" and I ramble and I am a sarcastic person so I tend to make "remarks" lets say. Especially when I can CLEARLY see the picture and given they aren't trying to play a camera trick by making a huge pile of course verm, it looks to be perfect for making casings and what I thought was to fine for cakes but as Sam (whos an absolute master of cakes) has informed me is also good. And if not is certainly not to small for them and can be thrown in the grinder if anything done at all.

I appologize I guess its time for me to start fading away more along with the others who have faded away after so many repititions of the same answers for so long. It just starts to get to you for a while. I mean hell weve all said stupid shit, I know I've said my fair share and stuck my foot in my mouth my fair share of times. I also have had my fair share of corrections and people bitching me out and rambling on about something stupid I've done/said/suggested. Well anyways now that this thread has been almost completly hijacked...sorry again to all but yeah..

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336215 - 11/09/04 07:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You need to calm down man, this is a place for learning. If your not going to be open and accepting of people recently getting into this field and asking questions then maybe you shouldn't be here. Ive been posting in this forum for a pretty decent amount of time. If you dont like a question then dont awnser it. Its really pretty simple. Again, calm down man.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336237 - 11/09/04 07:26 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Scatmanrav, you were definitely one my inspirations even if I wasn't looking for big yields portrayed by your pictures.  And yeah.. I get annoyed a lot, too.  I think you are right.  We should kind of fade out and let the newbie newbies answer some of these questions.

On the otherhand... advices coming from big names like yours definitely carry a lot more weight.  And beside, you and I have the "night watch."  We do need to help steer the community straight so all of us can improve out methods.

I think that occasional "psychodelic asskicking" might help.  As annoying as some of these questions are, I'm sure we can help sort through all the uglies.  I think that paper towel bullshit got to most of us.  Let's keep positive as we can. :wink:

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336274 - 11/09/04 07:50 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You need to calm down man, this is a place for learning.  If your not going to be open and accepting of people recently getting into this field and asking questions then maybe you shouldn't be here.  Ive been posting in this forum for a pretty decent amount of time.  If you dont like a question then dont awnser it.  Its really pretty simple.  Again, calm down man.

Its not even questions that piss me off..I answer PLENTY of questions..repeditive ones..ones others dont answer. I have worked through with a dozen people in PM's with 10-20 PMs each working them through their grow. I'm also very supportive of newbies wanting to try new things but when I see:

"Use paper towels for humidity until they turn green then its time to change them"
"I've never grown anything before but I'm going to grow Azures indoors fruited off BRF. Just because you havnt done it doesnt mean it can't be done."
"I took poo and sterilized it and didnt use any spores and now I have white stuff which I'm sure is mycelium even though I've never grown before and enver actually seen myc in real life and I never used any spores mushroom cultures or knocked it up with anything and sterilized it."
"All mushrooms that grow on cow dung are psilocybin"
"I've never grown before and am new but that blue is definatly bad mushrooms and you should throw them away"

This type of shit annoys me when I come here. I mean don't worry I'm not like really upset or anything..its just frustrating because I see that a post of a newbie asking about blue mushrooms only has one post saying to throw them away and its on the second page half way down (I set my default to 50 topics per page too..I believe normal is 20-25 which would put it on page 3 or 4). Sometimes stuff like this happens and I dont usually hit the shroomery until late and then go through everything but it gets knocked down and someone wastes perfectly good shrooms. Or people tell people to spray their cakes with 1:10 bleech water ratio..that was a good one.. yanno? I get on the offensive after a few of these posts which there seem to be alot of recently.

I know you've been posting for a while and I've never had a problem with your advice, its only been annoying me tonight :smile: Ah well whatever man... I really dont even care anymore..the poster has al of our opinions he can make of it what he wants..

Oh yeah and another one of my recent favorites just popped back up. Wrapping up a digital hygrometer in plastic to sheild it from the constant high humidity that will make it caput if it sits in your chamber all the time (at least with some models). Is it just me or shouldn't this seem really damn stupid?

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3336285 - 11/09/04 07:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Lol, then were all good right? Im not on here to make enemys. I just try to make sure that people know theres more than one way.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3336290 - 11/09/04 07:58 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

At least these aren't as bad as the case of "friend gave me these mushroom seeds for me to plant"

These are really funny looking back at them.

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3336373 - 11/09/04 08:17 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I bet you didnt know you could grow hydro mushrooms. I was told how before..you start by injecting spores into a 20 ounce bottle bottom filled with soil. Ill stop there.

Dude I'm good with everyone..I really don't care often..nothing ever upsets me for long..I have to deal with my room mate all the time..be thankful you guys don't have to deal with his questions. His closets not doing so hot since I stopped caring after it too. So anyway..if I but heads with you anymore just take my comments with a grain of salt and I'll try and be a good little helper.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds