Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMentalPiracy
journeyman
Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? * 1
    #3318902 - 11/04/04 08:25 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I am undergoing a new project, and i was wondering what can i do to help promote faster mycelium growth. I have been reading on the boards for a couple days about brewers yeast to help promote faster and stronger mycelium. would a 80/20/50 or a 90/10/50 substrate be ok and has anybody done any of this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: MentalPiracy] * 1
    #3319578 - 11/04/04 11:54 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

>i was wondering what can i do to help promote faster mycelium growth.

Provide proper water content, proper air exchange and proper temperature.

OfflineQavl
Nookian

Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: Anno] * 1
    #3322896 - 11/05/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard it works. Use about a teaspoon or two per cake in your PF substrate. That'll improve your colonization time, at least.

--------------------
Birds of a feather...

Offlinearbalest
wut kent?
Male

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: Qavl] * 1
    #3323486 - 11/05/04 07:22 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Haha, this sounds like an interesting idea. Just one question though, wouldnt the yeast ferment the sugars it finds in there? Turning it to Ethanol?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: arbalest] * 1
    #3324303 - 11/05/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

arbalest said:
Haha, this sounds like an interesting idea. Just one question though, wouldnt the yeast ferment the sugars it finds in there? Turning it to Ethanol?

The yeast would be rendered inactive by the sterilization process. I am curious why brewers yeast is mentioned instead of nutritional yeast though. I would choose the latter if I were to supplement PF cakes...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #3325549 - 11/05/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Nutritional yeast is better. Brewers yeast will have collected oils from hops and any other ingredients used in the brewing process, especially those things that sink to the bottom of the wort (assuming it's lager yeast).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
    #3326116 - 11/05/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i personally add brewers yeast to my mix and as a result i have almost doubled my average yields. 5-5 1/2 cups ground substrate
5 cups coarse vermiculite
4 grams yeast
600 ml water
i use 600 ml warm water and mix the yeast into it so it's evenly dispersed then i mix the water into the dry substrate and vermiculite. seems to work very well. however you are more prone to contamination by adding the yeast so be clean about it. i am sure nutritional yeast will work fine as well.

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Edited by fungusflip (11/05/04 08:50 PM)

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: Qavl] * 1
    #3330631 - 11/07/04 05:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeast would be killed in a PC......

OfflineTripster
200+ trips wise

Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: lesstutrey] * 1
    #3330887 - 11/07/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lesstutrey said:
yeast would be killed in a PC......

Yeah, very killed. I'm not sure what help it would be adding considering it would be dead. I'm not saying it's not true of course as it seems to be doing something for some.

--------------------
You've raped! I feel dirty
It hurt! As a child
Tied down! That's a good boy
And fucked! Your own child
I scream! No one hears me
It hurt! I'm not a liar
My God! Saw you watching
Mommy why?! Your own child -Korn

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: Tripster] * 1
    #3331985 - 11/08/04 01:10 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

> Yeah, very killed. I'm not sure what help it would be adding considering it would be dead. I'm not saying it's not true of course as it seems to be doing something for some.
Think it is good that it is dead - otherwise it would compete with the fungus.
The fungus only needs the nutrients no competitor ...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: Tripster] * 1
    #3332490 - 11/08/04 07:23 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Tripster said:
I'm not sure what help it would be adding considering it would be dead. I'm not saying it's not true of course as it seems to be doing something for some.

The dead yeast becomes food for the mycelia, and in the case of nutritional yeast, provides vitamins...

Offlinelesstutrey
All Weather Associate
 User Gallery

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: ATWAR] * 1
    #3350026 - 11/12/04 02:28 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

if that is the case in my next batch i shall be adding a 1/2 tablespoon or so of nutretional yeast. I've read a couple posts about yeast being good, so why not try it.

OfflineFerment
Stranger
Loc: NE USA
    #3368807 - 11/16/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I homebrew, and reading this thread I was reminded of something I have read. In brewing beer, yeast is sometimes helped along by something called 'yeast nutrients'. These are commercially available and basically consist of dead yeast cell. They help reinvigorate a 'stuck fermentation', where the yeast has stopped working. I have seen it recommended that old yeast be used as a nutrient for cultivating fresh yeast cultures. Since sterilizing yeast (whatever kind of yeast it happens to be) will by definition kill the yeast cells, the result of this sterilization then is 'yeast nutrient'. We know that it helps yeasts grow. Perhaps it has a similar effect on fungi.

OfflineMentalPiracy
journeyman
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: Ferment] * 1
    #3369461 - 11/16/04 03:23 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Just to let u guys know i have done alittle experiment regarding this. And will post pics as i go on.

But 2 days ago i have inoculated 30 quart jars.

5 95/5/50 brf/yeast/verm
5 90/10/50 brf/yeast/verm
5 85/15/50 brf/yeast/verm
15 50/50 brf/verm

using a koh samui strain that i purchased from no other then the hawk.
all jars boiled for 3 hours and sitting in a inoculation chamber at 78o. will post as i get more info.

--------------------
Its 8:12 I hope you 8 1 2?

Offlineqwon
destroying angel
    #3466136 - 12/08/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

results??

--------------------
'I'm the commander see, I don't need to explain, I do not need to
explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president.
Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something,
but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'
- George W. Bush

Offlinezorak
Stranger
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: qwon] * 1
    #3467325 - 12/08/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

mental piracy - i think you used way too much brf. aren't you supposed to have 2 parts vermiculite to 1 part brf?

InvisibleIWantThat77
 User Gallery
Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
    #22031766 - 08/02/15 01:10 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ferment said:
I homebrew, and reading this thread I was reminded of something I have read. In brewing beer, yeast is sometimes helped along by something called 'yeast nutrients'. These are commercially available and basically consist of dead yeast cell. They help reinvigorate a 'stuck fermentation', where the yeast has stopped working. I have seen it recommended that old yeast be used as a nutrient for cultivating fresh yeast cultures. Since sterilizing yeast (whatever kind of yeast it happens to be) will by definition kill the yeast cells, the result of this sterilization then is 'yeast nutrient'. We know that it helps yeasts grow. Perhaps it has a similar effect on fungi.

im still new-not trying to bump this or get anyone to reply...more for people just reading -etc that may end up here,as i did,still new just adding this if any 1 researching this topic-dont know if the chromium p is better-would think maybe yes? also i realise it could inhibit some process that is needed{by the mycelium/mushroom to get nutrition/grow etc  so'anyway saw this-"Brewer’s yeast is the dried, pulverized cells of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a type of fungus, and is a rich source of B-complex vitamins, protein (providing all essential amino acids), and minerals, including a biologically active form of chromium known as glucose tolerance factor (GTF). Brewer’s yeast is usually a by-product of the brewing industry and should not be confused with nutritional yeast or torula yeast, which are low in chromium."

--------------------
'None are more hopelessly enslaved; than those who falsely believe, they are free'
"Down how many roads among the stars must man propel himself in search of the final secret ? The journey is difficult, immense, at times impossible, yet that will not deter some of us from attempting it. We cannot know ail that has happened in the past, or the reason for all of these events, any more than we can with surety discern what lies ahead. We have joined the caravan, you might say, at a certain point; we will travel as far as we can, but we cannot in one lifetime see all that we would like to see or learn all that we hunger to know."

InvisibleToadstool5
A Registered Mycophile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Golden State
Re: Brewer's Yeast and the BRF tek? [Re: IWantThat77] * 1
    #22037120 - 08/03/15 11:00 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

I have never personally added yeast or yeast extract to my subs, cakes, grains but it is a good source of thiame, magnesium, and chromium. A lot of people add it to their PDA.

When adding additives to brf/verm cakes: Keep the 2:1:1 ratio and dissolve the yeast extract/gypsum in the water before adding to the verm (mixes better). Then once the verm is nice and wet add in your brf and mix well. I wouldnt add more than 10%v/v of either gypsum or yeast :shrug:

Gypsum rocks as a supplement, mild-buffering capabilities and a great source of calcium and sulfur! I use it in everything between 5-10%v/v.

Keep us updated :popcorn:

--------------------
If you do not know where the mushroom products you are consuming are grown, think twice before eating them. :badshroom:
- Paul Stamets

AMU Teks :mushroom2: Stro's Write Ups

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #22045898 - 08/05/15 06:34 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Evolving said:
Nutritional yeast is better.  Brewers yeast will have collected oils from hops and any other ingredients used in the brewing process, especially those things that sink to the bottom of the wort (assuming it's lager yeast).

Brewers yeast is washed if it's for sale most likely.

Both ale yeast and lager sink to the bottom after fermentation flocculation.

Quote:

ATWAR said:
Quote:

Tripster said:
I'm not sure what help it would be adding considering it would be dead. I'm not saying it's not true of course as it seems to be doing something for some.

The dead yeast becomes food for the mycelia, and in the case of nutritional yeast, provides vitamins...

Any dead yeast provides nutrition. Fungi love eating autolyzed fungi

Quote:

Ferment said:

The only thing in yeast nutrients that helps is zinc sulfate. And FAN if you didn't do an all malt beer, most homebrewers don't need more FAN or zinc. If a homebrewers fermentation is stuck its because of shitty oxygenation and poor yeast viability and vitality nothing you add will fix that other than a re-pitch and oxygenation but that's sub par. Just adding the nutrients through the airloc makes people think the nutrients fixed their fermentation but the oxygen getting in when you take the airloc off and mix it in did the most good.

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder