Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelateshroom
PF: taped holes or not?
    #328682 - 05/29/01 12:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i've been doing jars for quite a while. i have always taped the holes after inoculation. yet i find a growing diary of someone saying that they do not tape their holes, but leave them free for air echange. now i know air is good for healthy growth, but it is also a way for bacteria and mold to invade the jar.
my question is quite simple. i never leave my jars untaped, with good results.
do you guys leave them open, and if you do, why?
with what results?

and that I was just doing what was necessary to stay comfortable while I waited to die...

--------------------
and then there was light

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMyco-420
enthusiast

Loc: BFE
Re: PF: taped holes or not? [Re: lateshroom]
    #328686 - 05/29/01 12:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you have a layer of dry verm. on top It is probably cool to leave the tape off especially if you have a HEPA filter.

Someone should email me a bowl.

--------------------
Bong hits for Jesus

Offlinepatzee
enthusiast

Re: PF: taped holes or not? [Re: lateshroom]
    #328733 - 05/29/01 01:53 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'm a first time grower..but I followed Ryche Hawkes advice.
I autoclaved my jars with autoclave tape just slightly above the holes but not covering
them. After cooling and I took them out I pushed the tape down using super alcohol
cleaned gloves to protect them until inoc. After inoculation I put the tape back down until my autoclavable
spawn bags came. They have an air exchange filter on them. I autoclaved the bags. I then cleaned all the
jars off with alcohol while handling and stuck them inside the bag. I put about 5 in one, and 4 in the other
according to how far they colonized. I don't have a sealer for the bags so I folded them
over being careful not to touch the insides. I duct taped them closed tight. Careful
not to duct tape over the filter on the bag. I am able to ck them , lift em up, rotate em
looking through the bags easily. They are colonizing quickly and no signs of contams.
Fungi perfecti sells them. First timer as I said. so far so good. Thanks Mr. Hawke

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation