Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend

Loc: The Yard
Re: Alternate to bags [Re: Hamurabi]
    #3260040 - 10/21/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Well he's not only soaking the straw, but he's adding 1/4 gallon to the verm/dung mix before he pasteurizes it (per the tek). Also, the tek says it's OK if the dung/verm is a little dry, because you want to to soak up the excess water from the straw.

I guess he's as close to ready as he'll ever be. Any last minute suggestions?

Thanks.

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Alternative for Oven Bags [Re: ricelicker]
    #3260406 - 10/21/04 12:24 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

i'm sure you could just pasturize in those tin/alluminum baking trays. also, go to ralph's, safeway, etc...in the kitchen tools/plastic bags section you should see oven bags for sale. i found them quite easily.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinericelicker

Re: Alternative for Oven Bags [Re: TODAY]
    #3260420 - 10/21/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Really? That is news to me. TD will go check ASAP. What are they called, just "oven bags"? What is their traditional use?

TODAY, do you recommend soaking straw before pasteurizing? I know that during the soak of RYE, the idea is to germinate the endospores so the PC kills them, but pasteurizing wont kill those. So wtf? Does straw not behave the same way?

--------------------

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

Offlinericelicker

#3260607 - 10/21/04 02:11 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

*sigh*

Wish him luck......

--------------------

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #3260618 - 10/21/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Pasteurizing straw is going to give you a solid two week window for a spawn run, soak or no soak. The soak is mainly for making sure the straw soaks up as much water as possible, which would be important when baking it in the oven, because some of the moisture would be evaporated during the process. Can't go wrong with soaking straw, could even add some blood meal to the soak for more nutritious straw.

--------------------

Offlinericelicker

Re: Alternative for Oven Bags [Re: chunder]
    #3260686 - 10/21/04 02:32 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you Chunder!!!!!

One final question which is not as important:

All the straw shown on this site looks very clean and consistent, golden yellow stems, nothing else. Dude picked up a bale from a local farmer he finally found and chopped up a bunch to pasteruize. He noticed there are all kinds of things in the straw like wheat berries, stuff that looks like grass etc. Is this OK? It would be impossible to pick it all out.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale