Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineherby
needle sterilizing methods
    #3224155 - 10/06/04 08:33 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what ways can i sterilize a needle? Can I use pampers wipes or stich the needle into boiling water?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

Re: needle sterilizing methods [Re: herby]
    #3224197 - 10/06/04 08:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Flame til it's red, wrap a towel around it wet with isopropyl.

OfflineJAMIEK
    #3224211 - 10/06/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah pour alcohol on it and set it a fire till it glows poof thats all she wrote!

Offlineherby
Re: needle sterilizing methods [Re: JAMIEK]
    #3224239 - 10/06/04 08:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what kind of alcohol? i dont think i have any
what about hydrogen proxide?

InvisibleNOS4A2
Sh!tApple

Loc: notfarfromtheshittree Flag
    #3224266 - 10/06/04 08:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Warning!! don not use bleach. it oxidizes the metal. Unknowingly I did this and found out my needle had more than one hole in it now!!!

--------------------
Hail to the King, Baby
CulturingTech

InvisibleAyrios
Stranger

#3224273 - 10/06/04 08:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Isopropyl alcohol. Of course you have it. Rubbing alcohol. Every house has it... Also, I'd recommend flaming first, then wiping with the alcohol... It avoids a potential fire and cools the needle.

OfflineBioSore
Drunken' Irish
    #3224310 - 10/06/04 09:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Go get some rubbing alcohol or any time of alcohol. What most people do is make an alcohol lamp using an old canning jar, cotton balls (or old white t-shirt), and something with alcohol (rubbing alcohol, ethyl alcohol, etc.). I used some isopropyl myself. It creates alot of smoke, thoguh, so you gotta make sure you don't have it use much flame.

--------------------
If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cause' I'm gonna burn one down.

OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
Re: needle sterilizing methods [Re: BioSore]
    #3224319 - 10/06/04 09:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Is it ok just to flame it till red and then squeeze a drop of spore solution to the tip and run it up and down the needle?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3224335 - 10/06/04 09:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I use a horizontal flame micro torch.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineSerratedFrond
Pinning

Re: needle sterilizing methods [Re: hyphae]
    #3224568 - 10/06/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you are gonna make an alchohol lamp, use denatured alchohol for a clean burning flame. And buy some wick its really cheap. . .Oh yeah and just use that rubbing alchohol to cool down the needle, why waste spore solution? I guess Im just cheap lol

--------------------

Genesis 1:29
AsalamAlakum ~ SF

OfflineSerratedFrond
Pinning

Re: needle sterilizing methods [Re: SerratedFrond]
    #3224578 - 10/06/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Hey hyp, that reminds me of the torch I used to use to mold glass

--------------------

Genesis 1:29
AsalamAlakum ~ SF

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: needle sterilizing methods [Re: SerratedFrond]
    #3225041 - 10/06/04 11:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

What would be the best flameless method to use? When using a glovebox having a flame inside is hard if not impossible. I usually just drop mine in a shot glass of alchohol while moving jars around and getting ready for the next jar. Any idea's of a better method in a inclosed space?

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: needle sterilizing methods [Re: MadHatR]
    #3225279 - 10/07/04 12:30 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Alcohol swab would be next best to flame sterilization. IMO

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3225552 - 10/07/04 01:11 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, I would think letting it sit in alcohol would not only keep the outside clean but would go up inside it to. Currently trying to design a multi-layer jar that would shield itself enough so that heat would not escape and melt the top of the glovebox while still allowing enough air in to keep the flame alive. Then I could just stick the needle through a hole in it to the flame and my box would be safe.

I am also toying with the idea of using the tip of a soldering iron, should heat it up without melting anything else if correctly mounted in the box.

Any ideas? Would this hurt or melt the needle? I have a cheap portable soldering iron that runs off of butain, and it has a wire mesh in it just before the tip of the iron that you can see the flame go through. Would poking a hole in the mesh for the needle, lighting it and putting it in the box inside a jar or something so it does not tip over work? My main concern is the flame shooting out or somehow igniting the air in the box due to the high amount of Lysol I spray in after putting jars in?

Any help on this would be great. Not something you can really just try and hope it works due to the fact it could blow up the box and me. Working on building a new box or flowhood using a hepa filter but that is still a month or so away in the works and will go in another post.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3225624 - 10/07/04 01:24 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well you must always let the Lysol dissipate over a period of time before using an open flame or you'll have a nice little bomb goin on. Those little butane windproof lighters should also put out a very hot flame. You want too keep it quick and easy and not let heat buildup too much inside the GB IMO.
My micro torch takes about 2-3sec. to cherry a needle :laugh: GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
    #3225908 - 10/07/04 02:43 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

The level of dissipation is my main fear. Normally I would stay the surface really well including the gloves then close the box. As I am closing I would spray up inside all over. Wait 10 minutes. Then I would take everything out of the PC, whip it down with alcohol and spray it down. Open the box, put them all in and spray again all over the inside while closing. I would then spray the area around where the box closes onto the lid. Wait another 10 minutes, and begin work. The concentration of Lysol and also air bacteria cleaner that I will spray with the Lysol is pretty high in there. I am thinking there is more Lysol than air, which I know can cause deformed shrooms later on, but I am in real fear of contamination until I can afford a hepa system. I even spray my incubation chamber like crazy every time I open it. I am not sure the air will ever be clean enough to have a open flame inside. Don't really want to blow myself up. I have also been considering a heating coil option. They sell flame-less battery powered lighters at Walgreen's for like $6 that just have a small heating coil in it like the ones in a car lighter. I am starting to think that might he my only option till hepa's go down in price or I come into some money.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3227870 - 10/07/04 03:42 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I wait 20-30min. and haven't had a problem ever in close to 20yrs. of growing so that would be my personally suggested waiting period. I do know a guy that did make the GB bomb, he's alright but it wasn't pretty at all and he got alot of shit for not thinking too! those little gas station micro torches (flameless) are a good bet but I opted for a $30 refillable horizontal flame model which BTW will be the last one I ever buy, it works especially good in front of my flowhood also combating the cooling effect of the airflow vs. flame on the needle. Just a note on flowhood airflow, you don't want a strong airflow at all you want a gentle breeze, this actually helps with contams. GL

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation