Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link
    #3216161 - 10/05/04 12:06 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...storyID=6409867

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said on Monday he knew of no "strong, hard evidence" linking Saddam Hussein's Iraq and al Qaeda, despite describing extensive contacts between the two before the Iraq invasion.

Rumsfeld, during a question-and-answer session before the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, was asked to explain the connection between Saddam and Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network, blamed for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on America.

"I have seen the answer to that question migrate in the intelligence community over a period of a year in the most amazing way. Second, there are differences in the intelligence community as to what the relationship was," Rumsfeld said.

"To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two," Rumsfeld added.

"I just read an intelligence report recently about one person who's connected to al Qaeda who was in and out of Iraq. And it is the most tortured description of why he might have had a relationship and why he might not have had a relationship. It may have been something that was not representative of a hard linkage."

U.S.-led forces invaded Iraq in March 2003 and toppled Saddam and his government in a war whose main justification offered by the United States was the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. No such weapons have been discovered.

But the relationship between Saddam's government and al Qaeda also figured in the U.S. case for war.

A small Pentagon intelligence-analysis office found what it considered evidence of Iraq-al Qaeda ties. Rumsfeld was one of the Bush administration officials publicly describing this link. On Sept. 26, 2002, Rumsfeld told reporters at the Pentagon of evidence of contacts and cooperation.

'CREDIBLE INFORMATION'

"We have what we consider to be very reliable reporting of senior level contacts going back a decade, and of possible chemical and biological agent training. And when I say contacts, I mean between Iraq and al Qaeda," Rumsfeld said at the time.

"We have what we believe to be credible information that Iraq and al Qaeda have discussed safe-haven opportunities in Iraq, reciprocal nonaggression discussions. We have what we consider to be credible evidence that al Qaeda leaders have sought contacts in Iraq who could help them acquire ... weapons of mass destruction capabilities," Rumsfeld added at the time

The bipartisan 9/11 commission that studied the 2001 attacks concluded this July there was no evidence of a "collaborative operational relationship" between Iraq and al Qaeda or an Iraqi role in attacking the United States.
During a question-and-answer session at the Council on Foreign Relations on Monday, Rumsfeld also was asked what was the "number-one reason for the war."

Rumsfeld said President Bush made the judgment that Saddam "ran a vicious regime that had used weapons of mass destruction on its own people, as well as its neighbors, and that it was important to set that right by removing that regime before they, in fact, did gather weapons of mass destruction, either themselves or transferring them to terrorist networks."

Before the war, U.S. officials spoke of Iraq already possessing weapons of mass destruction, not a potential for gathering them.

"It turns out that we have not found weapons of mass destruction," Rumsfeld said.

"And why the intelligence proved wrong, I'm not in a position to say. I simply don't know. But the world is a lot better off with Saddam Hussein in jail than they were with him in power," Rumsfeld added.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda [Re: Worf]
    #3216978 - 10/05/04 03:13 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

You posted this like it's news. Saying there are contacts is obviously different than saying there is a working relationship. Granted, it seems like he is trying to say in a round about way that he was wrong.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: Worf]
    #3217014 - 10/05/04 03:32 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

With changes like this, he should be on the Kerry campaign

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #3217351 - 10/05/04 09:39 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

"And why the intelligence proved wrong, I'm not in a position to say. I simply don't know. But the world is a lot better off with Saddam Hussein in jail than they were with him in power," Rumsfeld added.

uuuh - ok donald!

anything you say!

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #3217473 - 10/05/04 10:47 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Shhhhhhhh..........repubs don't like the truth.

"John Kerry pulled something from his pocket. It was a notecard, no it was a plan to destroy the world, it was his contract with the devil"

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #3217508 - 10/05/04 11:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

this is ridiculous.
Before 9/11, bush and his admin have said that Iraq had no WMD and/or capability to attack the US with WMD. After 9/11 the admin said that Iraq was a threat and had WMD. Total WMD found since 9/11: 0.

After 9/11 the admin told the US about how there was a link between Al Qaeda and Iraq, and Osama Bin Ladin is behind the attacks. Now, Osama hasn't been captured, 1000+ US soldiers dead, and good reasons for going to war: 0.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #3217509 - 10/05/04 11:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

"the world is a lot better off with Saddam Hussein in jail than they were with him in power" - Donald Rumsfield

Yeah I feel so much safer now that he and his two bullets with sarin in them are gone.

The world is much safer now that he can't use his non-existent WMD against us.

Just look at his old homeland, once one of the most progressive lands in the midle east with a secular government, law and order, skyscapers in the capital, and modern technology such as public telephones. Look at it now. Wow! what a triumph!

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3218340 - 10/05/04 03:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps pinky should send Rumsfield the ludicrous Stephen F Hayes book that so impressed him. Through carefully balancing lies on top of conjecture Hayes "proved" the link between Al-qaeda and Iraq..

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #3239026 - 10/10/04 02:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

wow! Where are all those folks who insisted the link was proven and berated all the "libbies" on the board for daring to suggest that the US government were lying to dress up the case for war??

Whoose gonna be the first to admit they were wrong? As our mighty moderator I think Pinky should!!  :grin:

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: GazzBut]
    #3239061 - 10/10/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

pinksharkmark admit that he was wrong? never gonna happen.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: Vvellum]
    #3239106 - 10/10/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Never say never!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: Vvellum]
    #3239109 - 10/10/04 02:47 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
pinksharkmark admit that he was wrong? never gonna happen.

Well, he used to be a liberal, so he had to have admitted he was wrong at some point.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: silversoul7]
    #3239192 - 10/10/04 03:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think it is odd that everyone now trusts our intelligence. Who is to say that they aren't wrong right now? What was in the convoy of trucks that crossed the Syrian border right before the war? Where did the WMD come from in the foiled terrorist attack against Jordan? How come the Syrians are now reportedly testing chemical weapons in Sudan? What really happened at Salmon Pak? Who was training on the airplane fuselage? Why was it there?

Our intelligence sucks goat balls. I would not be surprised if they were wrong about being wrong about WMD and Iraqi / Al Qaeda links.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3239285 - 10/10/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I think it is odd that everyone now trusts our intelligence.

Well seeing as if you looked a little deeper than fox news all along you found that most intelligence agencies harboured doubts about the existinence of WMD I think you will find it was the government spin people had a problem with!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3239313 - 10/10/04 04:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think that is accurate. I think the Russians, British, French and Germans all thought that Sadaam had WMD. For that matter, so did John Forbes Kerry, Vietnam War Hero.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#3239329 - 10/10/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

It was commonly known in England that there was NOT agreement throughout the intelligence community regarding the validity of the WMD claims.

Of course a government enquiry cleared the government of spinning intelligence...

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3243527 - 10/11/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So in England Military intelligence is common knowledge?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #3243548 - 10/11/04 04:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I think the Russians, British, French and Germans all thought that Sadaam had WMD

Don't get too carried away with this idea. The reason they all guessed the same guess was because no country had penetrated Iraq and had any reliable intelligence. All every intelligence agency had was the same old bullshit from Iraqi exiles and satellite photos. It's a failure known as "group-think".

And all the British said was that they thought it likely - the government deliberately distorted documents to take away all the doubts the intelligence agencies raised.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: silversoul7]
    #3243649 - 10/11/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Well, he used to be a liberal, so he had to have admitted he was wrong at some point.

yeah right silversoul. you should know that a real liberal wouldn't do that kind of thing. real liberals actually see the real truth. pinky was probably just floating in the wind... he probably heard a RATM song and he thought he was "cool" and rebellious by being on the left or something... obviously never had any real experience of poverty nor real empathy for his fellow man, like a real liberal has....

:wink:

speaking of pinky... where the hell is that guy?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Rumsfeld: No 'Hard Evidence' of Iraq-Al Qaeda Link [Re: ]
    #3243687 - 10/11/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

you should know that a real liberal wouldn't do that kind of thing.

You mean believe one thing one week and another the next?

obviously never had any real experience of poverty nor real empathy for his fellow man, like a real liberal has....

Now you're getting it mush  :grin:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion